• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why don't people like Joe Buck?

m0nkey

NBC and ABC through the 1980s used to borrow the main PBP guy from each WS team to help with PBP for their WS telecasts. 

Even on the radio back in 1986, because the Red Sux were in the ALCS, the radio national announcing team included former Red Sux announcer and former long time NBC announcer Curt Gowdy.

Gowdy was the Red Sux announcer in Ted Williams' last season (1960).

Edited by Angel Oracle

For the same reason Jeter told him to buzz off when he was in the All Star locker room flapping his jaw like he belonged in there. Like he knew the players as college buddies or roomates or something.  The entitlement in his tone and mannerisms are annoying, and he comes off as borderline narcisistic. Nobody cares about Joe Buck, they just keep shoving him in front of the cameras because his dad used to do it.

I'm also not interested in hearing commentary from a guy that looks like he's never actually played a sport his entire life.

For the same reason Jeter told him to buzz off when he was in the All Star locker room flapping his jaw like he belonged in there. Like he knew the players as college buddies or roomates or something.  The entitlement in his tone and mannerisms are annoying, and he comes off as borderline narcisistic. Nobody cares about Joe Buck, they just keep shoving him in front of the cameras because his dad used to do it.

+50

Nepotism. I'm sorry but I just don't like any broadcaster, actor, umpire, politician, etc... who got the job because of daddy or mommy's connections.

There seem to be as lot of them out there. The legacies who are good seem to be the exception. Skip Caray was pretty good in his own right, but most of the others have not been.

The reason people don't like Joe Buck is baseball fans are basically hipsters. They don't like the popular guy. This board hates every single national guy and almost all guys in the studio at ESPN and MLB Network. We seem to forget that most of these guys aren't geared towards fanatics, they are geared more towards the occasional fan.

The reason people don't like Joe Buck is baseball fans are basically hipsters. They don't like the popular guy. This board hates every single national guy and almost all guys in the studio at ESPN and MLB Network. We seem to forget that most of these guys aren't geared towards fanatics, they are geared more towards the occasional fan.

No, it's more because I associate him with people I think are better than him. In comparison I think he's actually above average, but the grading curve is pretty tilted.

I don't know every announcer, but here are the ones I'd put ahead of him (color guys included).

Jon Miller

Mike Krukow

Duane Kuiper

Ray Foose

Ken Korach

Mark Grace

Hawk (seriously)

Rex Hudler (seriously)

Bob Uecker

Dan Schulman

Jon Sciambi

Vin Scully

No, it's more because I associate him with people I think are better than him. In comparison I think he's actually above average, but the grading curve is pretty tilted.

I don't know every announcer, but here are the ones I'd put ahead of him (color guys included).

Jon Miller

Mike Krukow

Duane Kuiper

Ray Foose

Ken Korach

Mark Grace

Hawk (seriously)

Rex Hudler (seriously)

Bob Uecker

Dan Schulman

Jon Sciambi

Vin Scully

It is all about personal preference, because I would never ever put Hawk on any list that didn't start with, who is really bad, possibly worst, at their job. He and Hudler should not be anywhere on that list. I actually dig Joe Buck's personality, he is witty and I don't think he takes himself all that seriously. I will say that most of the guys you put on that list are really good, but you are comparing them to a National Guy that does more than just baseball.