• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adrian Peterson indicted for reckless/negligent injury to child

bloodbrother

"The beating resulted in multiple injuries to the child’s back, buttocks, legs, and scrotum, as well as defensive wounds on the child’s hands."

Whipped his boy so bad he cut his genitals. This is very disturbing and Adrian may be gone for the season. Lets not forget that just last year his 2 yr old son was killed from child abuse by the mother's boyfriend. Adrian of all people should know better.

This is going to be interesting to watch.  Culturally, many in the south would probably think nothing of this type of punishment.  Others would think it cruel and unusual.  My own father was a southerner who used cruel and unusual physical punishments, but I would never condone using them on my own children.

I had switches used on me more times than I can count.

Was spanked more times than I can remember as a kid. Spanking doesn't bother because I think a time out accomplishes very, very little. Being hit on bare skin hard enough to cause cuts and bleeding intimates a lot of anger and goes far beyond an effective punishment, and AP is deservedly in trouble for this.

Whether a 4 year old knows right from wrong isn't an issue here. It is the violence of the punishment for an act that was kids being kids. My father used a belt and had no regrets and also never seemed to put a scale of value to the belt punishment to the action that caused discipline. I have little respect for him for that.

Peterson needs to have his kids removed by child protection until he gets his head screwed on straight. Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child is a very old saying going back to the early Greeks but to what level you choose to use corporal punishment is telling as to whether you are a parent or just a mean SOB.

Peterson, not being able to stop from seriously harming his own child of four even when he clearly saw the damage being done and continued means he is not a father, he is just a guy that got a woman pregnant and had a child.

Because we were all waiting for Charles Barkley's opinion on this...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/charles-barkley-adrian-peterson-video-ray-rice-cbs-nfl-today

It's kind of remarkable seeing the different reactions to this almost entirely based on where you were raised (or at least where your parents were raised).  Did not know that you were supposed to actually go get the implement that you were going to be hit with. Seems worse than the actual hitting part.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a spanking even though we never got hit as kids, instead my Dad would get our favorite toy and took a bat to it.  Right in front of us, and told us we wouldn't be getting another one.  His mindset was that the body heals, but the memory of loss and the constant reminder anytime some other kid was playing with a certain toy would stick with us longer.  it worked.

IMO,hiting a 4 year old so hard it breaks the skin is criminal.   Maybe it's time caning be used as a deterrent for child abusers, I'm sure AP would really appreciate it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I don't think there is anything wrong with a spanking even though we never got hit as kids, instead my Dad would get our favorite toy and took a bat to it.  Right in front of us, and told us we wouldn't be getting another one.  His mindset was that the body heals, but the memory of loss and the constant reminder anytime some other kid was playing with a certain toy would stick with us longer.  it worked.

IMO,hiting a 4 year old so hard it breaks the skin is criminal.   Maybe it's time caning be used as a deterrent to child abusers, I'm sure AP would really appreciate it.

I was the last of three boys.  When I was in kindergarten I got my mouth washed out with soap for telling a lie, and once my dad hit me for letting my brother take punishment for something I did.  Other than that, there were a few spankings but mostly...lectures.  Yelling at me for 15 minutes and then repeating it twice.  I almost wished he'd just hit me and shut up.  That's obviously because he didn't hit me.

I have nothing against spanking, but this isn't spanking.  Leaving welts is abuse.  That's a beating.  I think beatings are counterproductive.  

AP sounds like he just couldn't be bothered to "parent" his child. When all is said and done, you have to ask yourself "what was the purpose of the punishment?".  Was it to be a deterant to future bad behavior?  Was it to convey your anger towards what the child did?  I honestly don't know what hitting a 4 year with object that can break the skin hopes to accomplish other than person hitting is no longer frustrated /angry.  I just remember talking to them both at 4 years old and trying to find out what they were thinking when they did something wrong.  Mostly, they were just vapor-locked at the thought they were in trouble and would do/say anything not to be in trouble anymore.  I don't how hitting them would have helped this situation.  When they were in trouble, they had stuff taken away or sent to their room to lay down and even after repeated conversation it didn't always sink in fully until they had enough time to think about it.  The mistakes/bad behavior still happens at times but when they are being punished they know why.

Because we were all waiting for Charles Barkley's opinion on this...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/charles-barkley-adrian-peterson-video-ray-rice-cbs-nfl-today

It's kind of remarkable seeing the different reactions to this almost entirely based on where you were raised (or at least where your parents were raised).  Did not know that you were supposed to actually go get the implement that you were going to be hit with. Seems worse than the actual hitting part.

Yeah, we had a friend of the family that when the kids got out of line he made them go to the backyard to get a switch. He always ended the process with, "Go get one and if it's weak or too soft I'm going to get a harder one than I would on my own." I think he did that with belts too. This was here in SoCal too.