• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Erick Aybar

"Crazy club friendly" might be a bit of an overstatement, but they were definitely both good contracts. Neither Kendrick or Aybar are stars, but they're both good players, above average for their positions. If Aybar can put up 10 fWAR for the four-year contract, it will be a good deal. He's at 3.1 now, about a third of the way, but he's on pace this year to have a much better season than last year - he's actually already surpassed his WAR from last year because his Def is a lot better.

guess I'm in the minority -  I can't stand Aybar.  Zero plate discipline or pitch recognition, never takes a walk, horrible baserunner considering his speed, and a penchant for making defensive errors on routine plays in key situations.  Also, his face.  What am I missing?

Maybe you're just looking at different things or comparing him to the wrong hitters?  Since becoming a regular in 2009, Aybar has the 7th best WAR among all MLB shortstops, behind Tulo, Hanley Ramiriz, Alexei Ramirez, Elvis Andrus, Jimmy Rollins, and Jose Reyes.  

He leads all of them in crazy facial expressions and LOL moments.   Maybe it's the LOL moments that drive you nuts.

Maybe you're just looking at different things or comparing him to the wrong hitters?  Since becoming a regular in 2009, Aybar has the 7th best WAR among all MLB shortstops, behind Tulo, Hanley Ramiriz, Alexei Ramirez, Elvis Andrus, Jimmy Rollins, and Jose Reyes.  

He leads all of them in crazy facial expressions and LOL moments.   Maybe it's the LOL moments that drive you nuts.

I'm sure part of it is the LOL moments.  It's also partly how he's used, which isn't his fault.  He should never ever hit in the top half of any lineup, so I think resentment creeps in when I see MS pencil him in at leadoff.

I also lump him in the same category as Howie - good numbers, particularly for their positions, but the more you actually watch of the games, the more little things you see them do that drive you nuts.  Case in point last night with Howie, when he came up and immediately GIDP after Felix was clearly struggling with his command.  I know this is about Aybar, but from where I'm watching Aybar does the exact same kind of stuff all the time.

From another link in that article, an excerpt from a book about Minor League life:

McCarthy described the events of “Weenie Wednesday,” a hot dog giveaway at the stadium. The team was given 50 hot dogs in the clubhouse, and that’s when the naked duo of Callaspo and Aybar had some locker room fun:

Suddenly Callaspo took one of the hot dogs out of its bun and deep-throated it. Then he took the bun and put it around Aybar’s flaccid penis and poured ketchup on it. Jaws dropped–Aybar was a willing participant. Then Callaspo bent over and pretended to eat the Dominican penis hot dog. When he did that, we all screamed "Noooo!"

LOL, I've never heard that story before, although now I wish I hadn't. 

I'm sure part of it is the LOL moments.  It's also partly how he's used, which isn't his fault.  He should never ever hit in the top half of any lineup, so I think resentment creeps in when I see MS pencil him in at leadoff.

I also lump him in the same category as Howie - good numbers, particularly for their positions, but the more you actually watch of the games, the more little things you see them do that drive you nuts.  Case in point last night with Howie, when he came up and immediately GIDP after Felix was clearly struggling with his command.  I know this is about Aybar, but from where I'm watching Aybar does the exact same kind of stuff all the time.

I've found that people who argue that they actually watch the games tend to only remember the things that stick out or have a skewed opinion of what the normal is.   The only way anyone can actually make the argument that a person has a greater insight because they actually watch the games is to actually watch every game played by every team in MLB...  Otherwise its a person with a potentially skewed view where familiarity is breeding contempt.  

IMO, that's the entire issue with guys like Kendrick and Aybar.  People see them everyday, they know what their faults are -- so when they do what they are prone to do it seems magnified or much more common that it might be..  Meanwhile when the rest of the league does the same thing, it's NBD.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

I've found that people who argue that they actually watch the games tend to only remember the things that stick out or have a skewed opinion of what the normal is.   The only way anyone can actually make the argument that a person has a greater insight because they actually watch the games is to actually watch every game played by every team in MLB...  Otherwise its a person with a potentially skewed view where familiarity is breeding contempt.  

IMO, that's the entire issue with guys like Kendrick and Aybar.  People see them everyday, they know what their faults are -- so when they do what they are prone to do it seems magnified or much more common that it might be..  Meanwhile when the rest of the league does the same thing, it's NBD.  

I won't argue that there isn't some of that going on here.  And perhaps both Aybar and Kendrick are personally irritating to me for various reasons.  I just think they're both low IQ baseball players who don't do the little things to win.  Again, I'm sure there's some personal bias in there, but that's what I see.

I like aybar. A lot.

Hes not a superstar, and I think thats what leads some to point out his flaws. But hes got a decent enough bat for a SS, solid glove, great arm (which I think doesnt get enough cred), and is good on the bases.

And I love his knack for pulling off little league plays that catch people sleeping.