• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Erick Aybar

And I love his knack for pulling off little league plays that catch people sleeping.

This.

I love the hidden ball tricks and intentionally dropped balls. He's actually a smart player, it's just that sometimes his brain stops working for some reason. Howie on the other hand drives me to the point of rage. I wanted to throw my remote through the window after that GIDP last night.

guess I'm in the minority -  I can't stand Aybar.  Zero plate discipline or pitch recognition, never takes a walk, horrible baserunner considering his speed, and a penchant for making defensive errors on routine plays in key situations.  Also, his face.  What am I missing?

you're in the minority on this board, but many people on other boards feel the same way.  aybar and kendrick have talent, but they are too dumb to ever reach their full potential.

I won't argue that there isn't some of that going on here.  And perhaps both Aybar and Kendrick are personally irritating to me for various reasons.  I just think they're both low IQ baseball players who don't do the little things to win.  Again, I'm sure there's some personal bias in there, but that's what I see.

Just going to throw this out there because you're saying this -- but, because I'm on the East coast and tend to see some other coverage of teams, Erick Aybar it talked up for his baseball smarts and the little things he supposedly does.  Among his big fans is non other than Maddon, who went on for quite a bit on the Rays Live show about how Erick Aybar was one of his favorite players in MLB because of the things he does that don't always show up in the scorecards.  During the Phillies series their TV guys went out of their way to talk him up as well. 

Aybar is without a doubt a goofy dude, but the talk of his being a dolt seems to be in direct contrast with what is said about him.   

Look, those guys have forgotten more about baseball than I'll ever know in a lifetime.  I'm just saying from my (admittedly) amateur viewpoint, Aybar (and Kendrick) plays "dumb" baseball and I don't like him as a player.  Just my opinion.

Look, those guys have forgotten more about baseball than I'll ever know in a lifetime.  I'm just saying from my (admittedly) amateur viewpoint, Aybar (and Kendrick) plays "dumb" baseball and I don't like him as a player.  Just my opinion.

I'm not trying to change your mind on anything.   I've had an irrational dislike of some players (not saying youre guilty of being irrational).  JT Snow is probably at the top of that list.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Has Aybar done one base running thing this year? Or are we summarizing a couple of them and turning him into "an awful base runner"? I don't have any stats to back me up, but Aybar seems pretty clutch. He has a bad approach at the plate but it never changes in big situations. So many of our guys are patient hitters then they start swinging at everything to try and be the RBI hero. Aybar is one of my favorites on the team

Has Aybar done one base running thing this year? Or are we summarizing a couple of them and turning him into "an awful base runner"? I don't have any stats to back me up, but Aybar seems pretty clutch. He has a bad approach at the plate but it never changes in big situations. So many of our guys are patient hitters then they start swinging at everything to try and be the RBI hero. Aybar is one of my favorites on the team

Here you go.  http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/laa/cat/OPS/split/39/los-angeles-angels  Basically only guys on the team that has an OPS below the league average with RISP are Pujols, Cowgill, Calhoun, and Freese.  

From another link in that article, an excerpt from a book about Minor League life:

McCarthy described the events of “Weenie Wednesday,” a hot dog giveaway at the stadium. The team was given 50 hot dogs in the clubhouse, and that’s when the naked duo of Callaspo and Aybar had some locker room fun:

Suddenly Callaspo took one of the hot dogs out of its bun and deep-throated it. Then he took the bun and put it around Aybar’s flaccid penis and poured ketchup on it. Jaws dropped–Aybar was a willing participant. Then Callaspo bent over and pretended to eat the Dominican penis hot dog. When he did that, we all screamed "Noooo!"

LOL, I've never heard that story before, although now I wish I hadn't. 

I don't even know how to respond to this. LOL.

Aybar is worth every penny he's paid. SS position is so volatile, look at the starters around Baseball. We have PED users hitting 20 HR's making 13 million a year, light hitting defensive first guys making the league minimum, error probe 20/20 threats talking about 8 year contract extensions and inn the midst if all if that craziness is Erick Aybar.

Does a little bit of everything and will consistently give you 2-3 win seasons and entertain you along the way. 8 million a year is a perfectly suitable price for his services.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but there seems to be an awful lot of gloating because he had a great game last night.  Whenever someone posts a "trade player X" thread after they have a bad game, they're always roundly (and rightly) mocked.  That steal last night was fantastic and incredibly heads-up.  But are you guys saying he doesn't make a lot of blunders on the basepaths as well?  Or that he's generally a great base-stealer (he's 4-7 in SB attempts this year).  Again, I get that I'm in the minority in not liking Aybar's game, but don't gloat over one night/one play because it supports your point.