• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hector Santiago Panic/Apocalypse Thread

He needs to work this out at AAA. This was by far his worst start. Three of his first six losses were because he was left in the game too long. Now he has the pressure of needing to be perfect because we score no runs for him and he seems to pay for every mistake that is made in his starts.

Do you people even know how Shoemaker is doing in AAA right now?

18.2 IP 26 hits 16 ER 1.821 Whip 7.71 ERA

Ok! it's the PCL, but that still not looks very good, I say keep Hector in the rotation and let him work it out, I watch every game he pitched, he actully didn't pitch that badly, just some bad luck with low run support and error, I think he'll be fine.

Last night v. Las Vegas (best team in PCL) Shoemaker went 7 innings, 2 ER, scattered 8 hits (7 singles & 1 double), 11Ks and 1 BB. I think he is getting his feel for starting again. He only had one start in spring training in a minor league game. It has taken him a few games to get back into his starting routine along with building up his pitch count. Threw 100 pitches each of the last two starts. I would not be concerned with his first three starts when he was on a set pitch count and getting stretched back out.

Edited by Hardball13

How about we skip his next start with today's day off? Let him work out of the pen a couple of games. Then, see if there is any kind of improvement in those appearances, or, see if Shoemaker improves in AAA in that time. I understand he had a solid outing in his last appearance either yesterday or the day before. Something like 8IP and 11K's.

While I don't like guys that can't throw strikes consistently in the bullpen, I don't think we have any other option right now. I say this knowing we really don't have a guy that can come in and is ready to start at the major league level. But then again, neither is Santiago.

How about we skip his next start with today's day off? Let him work out of the pen a couple of games. Then, see if there is any kind of improvement in those appearances, or, see if Shoemaker improves in AAA in that time. I understand he had a solid outing in his last appearance either yesterday or the day before. Something like 8IP and 11K's.

Yea I like this a lot.

The off day doesn't help because it came immediately after his start. If the Angels had an offday before his next start, you could skip a spot. Now they have 13 games in a row. You can't skip his spot. You can give it to someone else...

Edited by Adam

Season isn't done but this is not a playoff team, not even close to it.

Sarcasm?

The Angels are only a couple adjustments away from being a strong playoff contender. I imagine we'd be in 1st right now if it weren't for Ernesto Frieri's pathetic existence. 

Santiago appears to me as a high energy type that cannot control his emotions. Not sure how that will be a good thing coming out of the pen. I say send him down and let him work things out down on the farm, and give a youngster a shot. Results can't be any worse.

We are more than a couple of adjustments away from being a strong playoff contender.

I disagree. Starting pitching has been very sharp, offense has been good despite injuries, and aside from Frieri--the bullpen has been mediocre (which is better than expected). 

The only problem this team has is the bullpen and leaving runners on base. The former can be solved with a couple additions, and the latter will improve once Hamilton, Freese, and Calhoun return. 

I also think Mike Scioscia is becoming a problem. He's been making very irrational moves (bringing in Frieri on Tuesday night, playing Ibanez and Stewart). 

Edited by failos

I disagree. Starting pitching has been very sharp, offense has been good despite injuries, and aside from Frieri--the bullpen has been mediocre (which is better than expected). 

The only problem this team has is the bullpen and leaving runners on base. The former can be solved with a couple additions, and the latter will improve once Hamilton, Freese, and Calhoun return. 

I also think Mike Scioscia is becoming a problem. He's been making very irrational moves (bringing in Frieri on Tuesday night, playing Ibanez and Stewart). 

The bullpen has not been mediocre. They allow a ton of inherited runners to score and just watching them you can tell it is below average. Now, they certainly have a few bright spots so far: Smith, Kohn, and Morin have all done well. Other than that we have had Jepsen, Maronde, Frieri, Herrera, and Wall all pitch horribly, albeit in varying degrees of IP. Salas has been okay, but can't get out inherited runners to save his life. To me, that all translates to a below average bullpen so far. To the surprise of nobody, Jepsen is again one of the worst relief pitchers in baseball, with both a high ERA and 7 inherited runners to score (#4th in MLB; Salas, btw, is 6th in MLB in that category).

You really think the bullpen is doing better than you expected? You're expectations must have been a blown save every game or something.

We are more than a couple of adjustments away from being a strong playoff contender.

We are three games out of first place and one game out of a WC spot. 

Our bullpen is responsible for 8 losses.  If half of those were turned to wins we would be a game in 1st.  So improve the pen!  Adjust ment #1

Our offense for the season has been struggle but it has been struggling late.  However, in a month we will get Hamilton and Calhoun back and we probably will no longer see Ibanez outside of pitch hitting.   Adjustment #2

So how are we more than just a couple of adjustments away from being a playoff contender????

Right now my biggest concern is Santiago.  I had great confidence he can be servicable #5; however, his last two starts makes me have a lot of doubts.

Santiago appears to me as a high energy type that cannot control his emotions. Not sure how that will be a good thing coming out of the pen. I say send him down and let him work things out down on the farm, and give a youngster a shot. Results can't be any worse.

Lackey 2 (circa 2003-2004)

Do you people even know how Shoemaker is doing in AAA right now?

18.2 IP 26 hits 16 ER 1.821 Whip 7.71 ERA

Ok! it's the PCL, but that still not looks very good, I say keep Hector in the rotation and let him work it out, I watch every game he pitched, he actully didn't pitch that badly, just some bad luck with low run support and error, I think he'll be fine.

Shoemaker has a 4.5 era on the major league level.  I say give him a shot.

Those that think Shoemaker is a better option need to look at his SLC numbers.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t561&t=p_pbp&pid=533167

You do realize that the PCL is the most hitter friendly league in the minors right?

I'm looking at a 26/9 K/BB ratio more than anything. If he can give us more innings and keep us in games, I'm all for him in the rotation over Santiago. 

The bullpen has not been mediocre. They allow a ton of inherited runners to score and just watching them you can tell it is below average. Now, they certainly have a few bright spots so far: Smith, Kohn, and Morin have all done well. Other than that we have had Jepsen, Maronde, Frieri, Herrera, and Wall all pitch horribly, albeit in varying degrees of IP. Salas has been okay, but can't get out inherited runners to save his life. To me, that all translates to a below average bullpen so far. To the surprise of nobody, Jepsen is again one of the worst relief pitchers in baseball, with both a high ERA and 7 inherited runners to score (#4th in MLB; Salas, btw, is 6th in MLB in that category).

You really think the bullpen is doing better than you expected? You're expectations must have been a blown save every game or something.

They are the very definition of middling and mediocre. Yes, I had no expectations for the bullpen. There's Joe Smith, and nothing else in the pen. 

They've been improving, though. If Frieri were to GTFO, then the BP would improve to "barely average."