• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

John McDonald

Hubs

They all bring their advantages but what matters is what the Angels need.  

Outfield

Cowgill is the best defensively and offers the highest upside as he's posted good K/BB ratio, BA, OBP, power & SB in the minors.  Long offers the most versatility because he can play 2B (and 3B and C too in a pinch), offers similar upside to Cowgill and is performing the best right now.  Boesch has the most significant MLB success.  Shuck has the most recent MLB success and is a solid option as a pinch runner.  

Sciosica's going to choose Shuck, but if it were me, I'd go Cowgill. 

Infield

Pena brings great defense at 1B, has pop in his bat and has great clubhouse presence.  McDonald is basically the same thing but the middle infield version.  Romine is a great defender and is perfect for laying down a bunt or pinch running late in the game.  Grant Green has the greatest offensive upside of the whole group and looks passable at 2B, SS and 3B in small doses, and may be a good RH compliment to Raul Ibanez.  

Conger's going to be one of the backup spots, which leaves 3 open.  Likely one OF and two IF.  When comparing McDonald and Romine, you're basically asking, "What's more important, veteran off the field leadership or late inning on the field speed?  You can't keep them both, that'd be redundant.  Then with Pena and Green, you ask the question again "What's more important, veteran off the field leadership or on the field production?"

If it were me, the bench would be Conger, Cowgill, Green and McDonald.  But I think Scioscia's going to go Conger, Shuck, Pena and McDonald. 

Matt Long has been doing a pretty good job with the bat. I hope he makes the team.

Conger, Long, Green, McDonald on my bench

That works as well, if not better.

It really should be between Shuck and Long.

I prefer Long. Shuck is a Davannon type, and Devannon (sp) was better. As long as he is there, Scioscia will play him.

I'd rather have Long to start the season. Pitchers will probably figure him out in a month or two, but going with the hot bat is what this team needs to overcome the recent April-May duldrums.

This year this team needs to start fast. The GM and Mgr should be thinking of little else than getting off to a hot start.

It would boost the team confidence, get the young pitchers going, and put butts in the seats.

There are a lot of starved, casual Angels fans out there beyond the msg boards.

A good, or even better..great... start is key this season.

If the last 1-2 years have shown us anything, they have shown us that they aren't real resilient.

When the Angels of the past few years are down, they stay down.

Getting out of the gate winning. It will change the mindset of the whole team.

On paper...this team goes a long ways..

Doesn't Pena have to make the team? Who else can play first?

Obviously Conger is a lock. I don't care for Shuck as a player, so I would prefer Long or Cowgill. And while I like Green's upside with the bat, we can't afford to lose Romine (who is out of options I believe).

Im sure Green has the ability to play some first as does Calhoun, so there's no point in keeping Pena. 

Only problem is I can't see a situation where Shuck doesn't make the team. I would like for Cowgill to make it, but just don't see us carrying 2 outfielders who are essentially of the same mold.

Conger, Green, McDonald, Shuck

I just like all the post saying 'i prefer long'. In a 'thats what she said' sort of way.

The way I see it, reserves arent going to play much so wecan afford to playbwith it a bit. Im not a big shuck guy, but he seems to be sosh's fave, and he seems liked by his peers. (Fwiw).

Obviously conger stays. As far as the remaining, I would prefer green and cowgill (though long is having a great spring). But I think the smart move (for now) is pena and mcdonald. I say go with them, being that we cant send them to the minors. Keep the younger guys with options in the minors to get regular playing time (because they wont up here).

That way if pena and mcdonald flat out suck (very possible, maybe even likely), we still have depth to replace them. Whereas if some of the youngsters arent ready, you dont have veteran guys to call up to replace them.

My two cents.

Doesn't Pena have to make the team? Who else can play first?

Obviously Conger is a lock. I don't care for Shuck as a player, so I would prefer Long or Cowgill. And while I like Green's upside with the bat, we can't afford to lose Romine (who is out of options I believe).

Just curious.....does Shuck have any options?

Long, Conger, Green, and Romine would be the best 4 talent wise.

But Long does have options still.

McDonald by being in ST has appearently already paid dividends with giving help to the other IFers and teammates with his knowledge of the game.

But he is limited in where he plays and his production at the plate.

If he does retire soon, I hope the org offers him a minor league coaching job. He could be an asset to this org in that way.

I know that Shuck always gives 100% and had a decent 2013. But he is limited in what he can do.

I haven't even included Boesch and Cowgill.

It is a pleasant change to have depth to choose from.

Edited by Angel Oracle

He would need to be part of a package, sorry for not typing it out, but I thought that was obvious.

I recognize he would be part of the package, but if he isn't good enough to make out team, why have him part of a package.  Wouldn't you want someone a little more valuable....like a Grichulk?