• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

John McDonald

Hubs

Shuck doesn't get much credit around here.  Yeah, his upside is limited, probably not much more than what he did last year... but that he did more last year than Cowgill ever has. Matt Long, too. 

I'd be ok with Kendrick or Calhoun (heck, Cowgill) backing up at 1B if Pena doesn't work out, but I'm tempted to start with Pena because he'll probably be gone otherwise.  That is a weird position to have a backup that is otherwise limited, though.  Ideally, your backup at 1B also plays OF or 3B... maybe even hits.  

Shuck doesn't get much credit around here.  Yeah, his upside is limited, probably not much more than what he did last year... but that he did more last year than Cowgill ever has. Matt Long, too. 

I'd be ok with Kendrick or Calhoun (heck, Cowgill) backing up at 1B if Pena doesn't work out, but I'm tempted to start with Pena because he'll probably be gone otherwise.  That is a weird position to have a backup that is otherwise limited, though.  Ideally, your backup at 1B also plays OF or 3B... maybe even hits.  

Yeah, that's why I was thinking Tracy or even Stewart might be a better fit than Pena, but then they haven't done much to impress either, so who knows.

Peter Gammons tweeted that McDonald is expected to make the team. By who, Gammons?

I highly doubt he will. Just as I highly doubt Torrealba, Tracy, Pena, Stewart or Boesch do. They will have at least 7 in the pen, leaving a four man bench. Conger is the first of those spots.

Green is killing the ball and I'd say his defense has improved. Shuck is playing a lot with Hamilton out. But so are Cowgill and Matt Long. And one spot remains. Likely for a backup infielder…it could go to McDonald, but I think he's third behind Romine and Field. Also, if Green plays this well than they may go with two reserve OF.

They'll also be monitoring other clubs for backups who get cut. 

I think they go with 1 outfielder simply because Shuck, Cowgill, or Long can backup all three outfield positions.  I also think this guy will need to be the substitute leadoff hitter on days he gets the start, so whichever guy shows he can get on base will get the job.

They pretty much have to go with 2 infielders to cover all four positions.  I'm thinking one of Green/Romine for 2B, 3B, SS, and one of Pena, Navarro, or possibly Tracy to backup Pujols.

Long is not on the 40-man roster so he has all his options left.

The only one who can't be optioned is Romine. He could clear waivers and stick around, just like John Hester did.

Of the guys on minor league deals, I'm pretty sure McDonald would not stick around and I don't think Pena, Torrealba or Tracy would either. I think Boesch and Stewart would.

Romine should be worth something, even if it's frosting on a trade for minor league pitching.

If not, then DFA him.

I wouldn't DFA him (if it comes to not making the 25 man roster), try to clear waivers on him, and let him play in Salt Lake.  It's such a long season, who knows how many injuries we will have to endure.  The Angels typically use between 45-50 different players at the MLB level each year.  Numbers 26-50 have to be as good as possible to get effective results if they are called up.

Someone would think they had enough of a use to claim Romine off waivers, for sure.

I know Shuck has major limitations, but he did some good things last year. It was just one of those classic examples where a bench player was asked to play too big a role and we all got sick of him. As a reserve OF he's fine and I narrowly take him over Cowgill and Long. Romine's upside, whilst limited, is better than McDonald's so I really think we should hang onto him. Grant Green should make it in part because this team's limitations mean we need someone who can start at 2B for a decent period if Pujols goes down and Howie has to cover 1B or if an OF goes down and we decide to go with Howie in LF (I'd rather Green at 2B and Howie in LF than Howie in 2B and Shuck in LF, if we're talking about a sizeable layoff for somebody). Plus I'm confident Green will hit well enough to be a DH option for us (none of us really want 162 games of Ibanez, do we?). So Conger, Shuck, Green and Romine is what I want to see.

Shuck, Green, and Romine would give is only one right handed pinch hitter. They've been so right handed recently, but for 2014 they've got five lefty / switch regulars in Hamilton, Calhoun, Aybar, Conger and Ibanez. Plus five righties in Pujols, Trout, Kendrick, Freese, and Iannetta. (Counting the two catchers as regulars as I expect a pretty straight platoon)

Having only Green as a right handed option off the bench seems odd. Id think they should have a five man bench but they want extra relievers for some reason. I always favor a six man pen, but if they go seven, it greatly impacts the bench ability especially when you have no one on your bench with power.

Romine better stay.

Defense on this squad is shitty enough as it is, and Romine, while not a great hitter, plays great defense. To that end, the bench is littered with outfielders, it would be foolish to cut a much needed infielder like Romine.

Long is the only one with any power.

Nice to have some power on the bench late in games...

Fullmer-Woooot?

20 Brad Fullmer

44 Shawn Wooten

Green had 15 HR and 28 2b in 120 ish games for AAA in 2012. Last year, 11 HR and 28 2B in 93 games. Not Trumbo Power but the guy isn't just a singles hitter. 

McDonald and Romine can't be the MINF together, so it's one or the other. Green playing SS is to me an indicator that he is the favorite for the primary MINF. Romine being out of options means if they want him they have to keep him at the majors.

Which is why I hope they go with either Romine or McDonald, Green, Conger, Long.

Out of all these options, wouldn't Shuck bring more in a trade? Maybe some package including Shuck and one of the other backups for a prospect?

I don't think a combination of something like Shuck and McDonald would net much in a trade. A fringe prospect, at best.