• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ibanez to see time in LF/1B?

bloodbrother

I can see putting him in LF over Pujols, Conger, and Iannetta... the latter two because I see no reason to carry three catchers.  Even with two catchers, in the right situation, I might see what Iannetta can do. 

Kendrick and Romine certainly would play a much better LF.  A few pitchers, too.  Get creative, Sciosch. 

I can see putting him in LF over Pujols, Conger, and Iannetta... the latter two because I see no reason to carry three catchers. Even with two catchers, in the right situation, I might see what Iannetta can do.

Kendrick and Romine certainly would play a much better LF. A few pitchers, too. Get creative, Sciosch.

I might prefer Baylor out there as well.

I agree.  First base is the least taxing position on the infield, and there is no reason why Pujols shouldn't be able to play 150 games there (and with Pena available as a backup).  And Trout and Calhoun are young enough that their bodies can tolerate 150+ games in the outfield, with the dedicated fourth outfielder capable of spelling each guy once per week.  There is really no reason why Ibanez needs to play either outfield or first.

Angels should switch dugouts so Albatross does not have to run as far. 

Ibanez will be the 5th or 6th option in the OF, and the 3rd or 4th option at 1b. 

if he's called to play defense on a regular basis, this team has much bigger trouble than him being out in the field.

It means that at least two key players are hurt and/or ineffective. 

I know everyone thinks that by handing this guy a glove it will tempt MS to actually play him on defense, but it's spring training. 

Maybe he wants the option to carry an extra pen arm instead of a 5th OFer. 

I think all Sosh is saying is that a guy who can't play a position on the field is essentially taking up a roster spot. If the worst case happens then they will need Ibanez to play the field. I don't think he is saying that Ibanez is a viable option as a 4th outfielder.

Pretty much every DH in the league is able to play at least one position if need be. Doesn't mean they do. They just have to be ready in the event that there is no one else to turn to.

I think all Sosh is saying is that a guy who can't play a position on the field is essentially taking up a roster spot. If the worst case happens then they will need Ibanez to play the field. I don't think he is saying that Ibanez is a viable option as a 4th outfielder.

Pretty much every DH in the league is able to play at least one position if need be. Doesn't mean they do. They just have to be ready in the event that there is no one else to turn to.

Sssh!  I'm enjoying all the hysteria.

Sometimes you have to protect yourself from yourself.  The first time Scioscia tries to put Ibanez in the OF, I'd release Ibanez.  Though he has many qualities you look for in a manager, Mike Scioscia just trusts people too much.  Like when a starter reaches the 7th inning with a one run lead and gives up a single and back to back doubles to lead off the inning.  That's usually a time when a smart manager marches out to the mound tapping his elbow.  Not Scioscia though.  He'll wait until you're down by four without a chance at coming back before he goes and gives the hook.  

Anyway, back to Ibanez.... 

Raul in the OF would be an absolute train wreck and as sad as it'd make me, I'd cut him the very second Mike Scioscia tried to pull that veteran bullcrap. 

You're probably right. However, the thought of Ibanez getting ANY amount of playing time in the field is a really ugly thought.

I don't see this as a big deal at all.

Scioscia doesn't want a guy to just DH so he's going to get Ibanez some time in LF and 1B this spring so that he's ready for action there in a pinch.

I doubt he starts many games at an actual position.

Nothing else to see here guys.

You mean Scioscia doesn't want Pujols to just play 1st base. Cleverly disguised. Trumbo 1B / DH / OF > Ibanez 1B / DH / OF Edited by Hamiltown

It's just crazy that we get all worked up over Scioscia wanting to work out Ibanez at those positions during games that don't count just for insurance purposes. Do you all forget that Juan Rivera played an inning at 2nd base for us one game. It is a long season, we might as well get him a little more work that just grabbing a bat.