• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ibanez to see time in LF/1B?

bloodbrother

Ibanez in LF might be worse than when Abreu was there

Maybe they can hide him at 1B for a few starts but man, I'd rather they just avoid putting him anywhere in the field. At his age, he just can't do it. Don't get why he has to be more versatile than just as a DH. What good is it to just put him in LF or 1B when he can't do it well enough? They got bench options like Pena perhaps(for 1B) and then guys like Shuck or Brennan Boesch for LF

Shuck was pretty bad defensively last year, though it doesn't show up well in his fielding stats. He was so frequently out of position, and made bad reads against balls that Bourjos or Trumbo would've caught. He has a weak arm as well. 

Ibanez needs to be versatile only to allow for late inning pinch hitting appearances in games he doesn't start. He needs to be able to play 1B/OF if say, he's on the bench and Pujols is the DH against a lefty starter. (Say Cowgill is playing RF and Calhoun is at 1st). They want him to hit for Cowgill against a reliever in the late innings. If they use him, then they'd also have to use a defensive replacement after he hits?

Or say in NL parks, where there isn't a DH, and they need a lefty pinch hitter for a pitcher. If they use him, they can do a double switch, but if he can't play the field, that's not available. 

He's going to log maybe 50-60 innings in the field this way. He can do that. Maybe he gets a start if a player is hurt. Not any extended starts, but maybe.

I also think Kendrick is going to see time in the OF and at 1st to put Green (or Lindsay) as the 2nd baseman so hopefully this is the first choice and Ibanez in the OF or at 1B is a distant second or third choice.

They've got plenty of bench options who can backup 1B and the OF.

No reason Ibanez NEEDS to do it.

I agree.  First base is the least taxing position on the infield, and there is no reason why Pujols shouldn't be able to play 150 games there (and with Pena available as a backup).  And Trout and Calhoun are young enough that their bodies can tolerate 150+ games in the outfield, with the dedicated fourth outfielder capable of spelling each guy once per week.  There is really no reason why Ibanez needs to play either outfield or first.

I don't see this as a big deal at all.

Scioscia doesn't want a guy to just DH so he's going to get Ibanez some time in LF and 1B this spring so that he's ready for action there in a pinch.

I doubt he starts many games at an actual position.

Nothing else to see here guys.

So you're saying that people here are overreacting?