• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert has had Normal Offseason --> Sherman

I'm reasonably optimistic that 2014 will be his best season since 2011, maybe since 2010. While he's no spring chicken and I don't think we'll ever see the all-around greatness of his prime, I still think--if healthy--he's capable of hitting around .300/.900-.950 with 35 HR and solid defense and baserunning.

I'm reasonably optimistic that 2014 will be his best season since 2011, maybe since 2010. While he's no spring chicken and I don't think we'll ever see the all-around greatness of his prime, I still think--if healthy--he's capable of hitting around .300/.900-.950 with 35 HR and solid defense and baserunning.

This!

I wish some of you would get off Pujols' ass.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that.  If Albert is his stated age, then he really isn't *that* old yet.  There are plenty of guys who have remained productive, even extremely productive, well into their 30s.  In fact, a hitter as good as Albert should still have 5 or 6 very productive years ahead, and there is no reason why he can't at least hit like Raul Ibanez in the last 2 or 3 years of his contract. 

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that.  If Albert is his stated age, then he really isn't *that* old yet.  There are plenty of guys who have remained productive, even extremely productive, well into their 30s.  In fact, a hitter as good as Albert should still have 5 or 6 very productive years ahead, and there is no reason why he can't at least hit like Raul Ibanez in the last 2 or 3 years of his contract. 

Babe Ruth put up a .985 OPS at the age of 39.

#5 derserves the criticism until he produces like he used to. Until then I think its warranted.

A very good season (or seasons) isn't out of the question but you can't expect a guy you sign when he's 32 to give you the prime production he gave his old team.  As has been discussed on here before when signing a guy like Pujols you're paying for what he did for his old team.  I'll gladly take a season out of Pujols like AJ mentioned.

Babe Ruth put up a .985 OPS at the age of 39.

Yep.  And even more recent history has plenty of examples of old guys being productive.  Derek Jeter, for example, put up a 114 OPS+ in his age 38 season (which was consistent with his career OPS+ of 117).  Chippers Jones' best years came in his age 35/36 seasons, and he managed an OPS+ of 122 in his age 38-40 seasons.  Frank Thomas put up an OPS+ of 140 in his age 38 season, and an OPS+ of 125 in his age 39 season.  Raul Ibanez - whose name really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Pujols - had his best four-season stretch in his age 34-37 seasons (125 OPS+).  Paul Konerko was still excellent through his age 36 season.  Carlos Beltran is still a very good hitter and has put up back-to-back 128 OPS+ seasons as a 35 and 36 year old. 

And other than Frank Thomas, none of these guys deserve to even be mentioned in the same breath as Pujols.  Great as they were/are, they weren't/aren't Pujols.  There is no reason why Pujols shouldn't still be elite for a few more years, and then still highly productive for a few years after that. 

If David Ortiz can be productive into his late 30's Pujols definitely can. He's two months younger than me and I'm not old. 

In Ortiz's age 34 season, he hit .299 with an .899 OPS. He's improved since then.

If David Ortiz can be productive into his late 30's Pujols definitely can. He's two months younger than me and I'm not old. 

In Ortiz's age 34 season, he hit .299 with an .899 OPS. He's improved since then.

I didn't want to use Ortiz as a comp for obvious reasons, but certainly he is someone who is one of the best hitters in the game despite closing in on 40.

Off-topic a bit, but I found this astonishing:

Albert Pujols' highest adjusted OPS+ so far is 192, in his 2008 season.

Babe Ruth had 12 seasons with a higher number, and one (in 1918 with Boston) with the same number, 192.

And speaking about older players still producing at a high level, Ted Williams at the age of 41 (1960 season, his last): 190 OPS+

I fully expect Pujols age 34 to hit at least .301 / 40hrs / 96rbi's / 1.045ops in 2014. 

I mean why not? In 1973 Hank Aaron did that at age 39 and he only played in 120 games. 

David Ortiz has been so productive because of where he plays (120 games a year in Fenway, NY and Rogers Centre), the fact that he's super-talented and possibly most of all, the fact that he's likely using something they can't test for it detect.

Pujols won't cheat, it just isn't in his character, and he also has to play 120 games a year in pitching friendly parks (Angel Stadium, O.co and Safeco) and he's likely to go through the natural regression due to age related deterioration. It just so happens that Albert is so good, so disciplined and works do hard that his regression likely means hitting .285 40 DB 30 HR in his mid 30's.

What we see in his late 30's and 40's remains to be seen.

David Ortiz has been so productive because of where he plays (120 games a year in Fenway, NY and Rogers Centre), the fact that he's super-talented and possibly most of all, the fact that he's likely using something they can't test for it detect.

Pujols won't cheat, it just isn't in his character, and he also has to play 120 games a year in pitching friendly parks (Angel Stadium, O.co and Safeco) and he's likely to go through the natural regression due to age related deterioration. It just so happens that Albert is so good, so disciplined and works do hard that his regression likely means hitting .285 40 DB 30 HR in his mid 30's.

What we see in his late 30's and 40's remains to be seen.

What's the difference between a 34 year old Albert Pujols and a 34 year old Reggie Jackson?

Reggie hit .300 / 41hrs / 111rbi's / .995ops at age 34. Was Reggie Jackson a better athlete?

I see what you're getting at and I understand, but just because Reggie Jackson had an amazing age 34 season does not mean Albert will. I'm

Not doubting its possible and as we've seen I still expect .280 and 70 XBH, but it's just different circumstances.

I just feel that they paid him so darn much money and they're not getting a superstar performer in return. He was supposed to be a difference maker and he's not.