• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia on 11 game losing streak: "You turn the page from every game"

From 2010 > we have had one of the highest payrolls and plenty of talent that should've allowed us to participate in the playoffs for more that three games. We've changed GM's, scouting personnel , pitching coaches, batting coaches, bench coaches and 3rd base coaches and 95% of the team. The one common denominator is Mike Scioscia.  

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

From 2010 > we have had one of the highest payrolls and plenty of talent that should've allowed us to participate in the playoffs for more that three games. We've changed GM's, scouting personnel , pitching coaches, batting coaches, bench coaches and 3rd base coaches and 95% of the team. The one common denominator is Mike Scioscia.  

And also Arte Moreno

7 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Might be a Craig but came across this and thought it was relevant to where the discussion has ended up:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/six-reasons-the-angels-look-like-the-most-hopeless-franchise-in-baseball/

I just read this and thought, its been a while since I have been on AW to complain about Sciosica being manager.  I have been to one, single, game this year - Opening Day.  Thats all this team gets from me until he is gone.

For those of you who haven't clicked on the link above... go straight to point number 6.  Its all you really need to read.

5 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

The fat man can't be blamed for the crap floating on the top of the 25 man roster.

(Wanted to post "fat man" since its my first time posting it on AW. I am no longer a fat man virgin.)

The fact that he has too much control can be.

I swear, I am pulling for the M's this year for sole reason that Dipoto was a better GM than Sciosica is a manager.

1 hour ago, Brian Ilten said:

I just read this and thought, its been a while since I have been on AW to complain about Sciosica being manager.  I have been to one, single, game this year - Opening Day.  Thats all this team gets from me until he is gone.

For those of you who haven't clicked on the link above... go straight to point number 6.  Its all you really need to read.

Because of the scheduling we began the season in 2nd place before we threw one pitch. We never climbed out of that deep hole. Scioscia's season preparation was spot on as usual. 

2 hours ago, Glen said:

We'll never remember this, but I'll bet you $100 that Scioscia is gone after his current contract expires.

Probably pointless because we will have forgotten within a month, let alone two and a half years. But if it was a charity thing or something like that I would totally do that. He won't be pushed out, which makes me think it's more likely than not he's still manager in 2019.

23 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Might be a Craig but came across this and thought it was relevant to where the discussion has ended up:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/six-reasons-the-angels-look-like-the-most-hopeless-franchise-in-baseball/

5 of the six reasons have Moreno's finger prints all over them.  

3 of the six are due to significant neglect in regards to scouting and player development.  

1 of them is bad luck.  

I am not some blind MS defender yet I don't know where his influence stops and starts.  None of us do really.  To speculate that he has too much power is fair relative to previous circumstances, but what does that mean?  Clearly, he has Moreno's ear, but does that mean he's influencing Moreno to then influence the GM in terms of player acquisition?  maybe.  Does he have say over who we draft and who we don't?  I doubt it.  Does he influence the type of baseball that is played at our minor league levels?  Yes.  Was he influencing Arte to stay out of international markets?  Unlikely.  

And if we look at the construct of the teams from 2010 to current, do those look like Scioscia teams that have succeeded in the past?  Not to me they don't.  Slow footed, station to station on offense.  Bad (really bad) bullpens.  Weak starting pitching. 

Has Scioscia's 'power' had a negative influence on this club?  Probably to some degree, but it's not the primary reason we are where we are.  And even if it was more of a factor, that is still on the guy at the top.  

Arte decides how much power MS has.  It's up to him to allow his influence to be heard.  It's on Arte that we've allocated a disproportionately large amount of financial resources to the mlb club and not on player development.  That includes international markets and going cheap on scouting.  It's on Arte that we've pursued expensive players and forfeited draft picks.  The entire Hamilton fiasco is pretty much on Arte.  The directive of using your minor league system to continually improve the major league club is on Arte.   Creating a screwed up management hierarchy to the point that there is even the possibility of a power struggle between the manager and GM is on him.  

I think this off season will tell us all we need to know about the mindset of our commander and chief.  Has he learned from his mistake and where are we going.  Frankly, I think it's already started by acquiring an almost 27yo lottery ticket.  I think they are going to make some moves to sacrifice future value in order to give people a veil of hope for 2017.  Gotta keep those butts in the seats right?  

It's on Arte that we've allocated a disproportionately large amount of financial resources to the mlb club and not on player development.

Dammit that Arte, he signed Pujols, Hamilton and Wilson knowing full well that we wanted Crawford, Lee, Soriano, Shields, Heyward, Upton and Gordon. What a dumbass he is.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

you're forgetting that "our" offseason plan was to sign Heyward. Or Upton. Or Gordon. 

thank God nobody listens to "us" 

Just to be fun. I didn't want any of those guys. They were all ehh to me. The only one who was in the slightest appealing to me was Cespedes and even then I wouldn't have spent the money on him with his age and what he costs. Way too much risk involved. 

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

That article is actually pretty awful.   It's pretty badly slanted and forcing conclusions.  If the intent of the article is argue that current situations will impact future performance then fine -- focus on the farm all you want.  But the slob writing the article goes out of his way to talk about the contracts, two of which are gone this year, another falling off next season.  We have already gone through the worst of the contract mess-up.  He's using ERA when talking about Middleton, he's including minor leaguers who aren't even with the organization...  Who the fuck cares what Elliot Morris' ERA for the Padres is?  Hell, he's even including a guy who is no longer hurt Skaggs, in his list of hurt pitchers...   Yeah he says he's no longer hurt -- but...  Again, whats the point if the intent is what to expect in the future?

Basically, it's a clown article...   Dude is just piling on when he thinks it's easy to pile on.

13 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Looks like the team has quit on him.

I think you are right!  These guys all know that they have a guaranteed MLB roster spot next year so they are all taking it as easy as they can, regardless of anything Scioscia might say to them.

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I think that its great that article was sponsored by depression medication. "Treating depression shouldn't have to be so expensive." Nothing says Angels better than "depressing" and "expensive."

3 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Not in the postseason.

I'm sure you think it is Mike's fault for the team not hitting in the playoffs against the Royals, you are entitled to that opinion.  I am more inclined to blame the players that went up to bat and didn't hit.  We all love Trout but his first hit of the series (only hit of the series) was a home run in game three in the first inning.  The only two hitters that did a damn thing when you look at the entirety of the series were Aybar and Howie, and they did their "damage" in game three.  

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

fixed 

The good news is you got exactly what you wanted, you wanted the team to suck so you can cry like a bitch all season long and play the I told you so.  I still remember you saying this team would be better than last year's team because you like the additions of Nava and Gentry.  Yep that worked out well.  

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Every team we have had except for 2014 has had critical flaws.  If you don't want to believe it don't but it is absolutely true.  Last year we were below average in both offense and pitching, so no we did not have enough talent.  Payroll, sure we had enough of that.  Let me know what that has to do with Mike Scioscia.  The very best you can do is speculate.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Every team we have had except for 2014 has had critical flaws.  If you don't want to believe it don't but it is absolutely true.  Last year we were below average in both offense and pitching, so no we did not have enough talent.  Payroll, sure we had enough of that.  Let me know what that has to do with Mike Scioscia.  The very best you can do is speculate.  

Every team except 2014?  Huh?