• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vernon Wells DFA

The Angels will end up paying him a bit over $70 million...for 0.6 fWAR. That's $/WAR of $117 milllion. That's got to be worst value in baseball history.

Jason Bay's deal with the Mets was for 66 Mil guaranteed and 80 mil with some contract provisions -- he's got to be in the running, but the Champion has to be Gary Mathews Jr.  He ended up costing the Angels 49 mil and was a negative WAR player for them.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Wasn't Youniesky Betancourt being paid by 3 clubs for a couple seasons?

I think you're right -- meanwhile, the King of getting over, Bobby Bonilla is getting 500K through 2015 from the Orioles (last played for them in 1996), on top of the 1.93 mil per year he will be getting from the Mets through 2035.

Ryan Madson should give Bobby Bo a call.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Wow, that is incredible for Bonilla. I am guessing his WAR the last couple of years has him significantly overpaid.

yeah what a smart move on his part.

and what a STUPID move by the mets. shows how deep they were involved with the madoff ponzy scheme - since their investments were only going UP UP UP it would be such a shrewd move to pay bonilla that way. lol. idiots.

GMJ's contract is, by far, the worst in baseball history. He had 1 decent year with Texas and the Angels gave him 5/$50--but, the Mets are the stupidest team in professional sports for picking up the last $21.5M on his contract. I still can't comprehend this contract/trade

GMJ's contract is, by far, the worst in baseball history. He had 1 decent year with Texas and the Angels gave him 5/$50--but, the Mets are the stupidest team in professional sports for picking up the last $21.5M on his contract. I still can't comprehend this contract/trade

the mets didn't pay the last 21.5 million.

The angels actually paid 21.5 million of the 23.5 he was owed.

Also, as bad as GMJ was, he was far from the worst contract in baseball history. Hell, he easily ranks behind Wells and Pujols for angels contracts.

Edited by Poozy

In terms of money owed and length of contract....my guess is that Pujols will set a major new bar for least production per million paid.

Not buying into the hype that he is suddenly healthy and ready to be worth 25,000,000 again, and worse, with the juice era nearing an end, I think he has 3 more seasons in him until he is done.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Without juice, I just don't see a Pappi-like longevity/resurgence as a power DH coming for Albert. A healthy foot is not going to fix his batting eye or bat speed. He has looked so bad at the plate, it is really hard believe it is just his foot that's to blame.

The lumbering way he moves is not "elite athlete", and with healing aiding drugs being banned, my fear is that relatively minor injuries are going to put him on the sidelines for extended periods of time...as they already have.

Unless he retires mid contract and gives a lot of money back, I can see the Pujols contract becoming legendary to future generations of baseball fans. As someone who has been a fan of this team since they came into the major leagues, it is just another chapter in the legacy of the team with the A and a Halo on their logo. It's part of the deal when you sell your soul, and you know it going in.

Darren Dreifort, Dodgers: $57 million for 0.2 WAR over five seasons.

That's my personal favorite.

Dude also sucked on the biggest college stage, as LSU beat him like a drum in the 1993 CWS title game. Although it should have been LB State doing it, as they led LSU 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th inning the day before and lost. F'n Mike Rios and Todd Walker!