• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vernon Wells DFA

He can still muscle one out of the yard with decent regularity. That has value for some teams I'm sure, especially for the league minimum.

He had 11 home runs in 458 PAs for the Yankees last year - not exactly Ruthian production. One HR every 40 PAs wouldn't be too enticing to me if I were a GM, especially in a 35-year-old outfielder who is likely to get worse.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

What is the MLB record for most teams paying a player not to play for them?

I could see him signing with another team and being DFA's by the allstar break.

That would make it 4 teams?

This dude just doesn't give a **** either. It's so frustrating to see his "too blessed to be stressed" attitude.

I could see him signing with another team and being DFA's by the allstar break.

That would make it 4 teams?

This dude just doesn't give a **** either. It's so frustrating to see his "too blessed to be stressed" attitude.

Evidence he doesn't care? Maybe he just isn't very good anymore and whoever scouted him prior to the 2011 season is completely and utterly incompetent.

By the time Wells arrived he was a useless player with one decent tool, power. Basically like Raul Ivanez except he'll be making over the full season what Wells made on a home stand.

Knock off over 100 points of Raul's OPS and you have vernon wells.

Evidence he doesn't care? Maybe he just isn't very good anymore and whoever scouted him prior to the 2011 season is completely and utterly incompetent.

I believe that he cares a great deal, and that he works very hard. The skills just aren't there anymore. For all the grumbling about his production while he was here (deserved, IMO), I never heard a hint about him not working to fix things, being a bad teammate or demanding playing time when he wasn't producing.

Always find it weird when fans think a player doesn't care just because he sucks.

Yeah, the "too blessed to be stressed" quote Wells had seemed a little weird but I'm 100% sure that the dude really cares. 

He had 11 home runs in 458 PAs for the Yankees last year - not exactly Ruthian production. One HR every 40 PAs wouldn't be too enticing to me if I were a GM, especially in a 35-year-old outfielder who is likely to get worse.

Yeah, I posted that before I looked at the numbers. I thought he had fewer at-bats.

I still think he'll get an invitation from someone. One last chance. Just depends on whether or not he wants to take it. I suspect that as long as he's still getting paid, he will try to play -- even if he's only playing for one of the four teams paying him. [facepalm]

Ok I'll ask. Would you rather have Shuck or Wells? Both are not great defensively but Wells has a bigger arm. One is a lefty that can do one thing right and that is get a hit. One is a righty that provides one thing which is power. Both will be paid the minimum.

Reading the initial news on this and now this thread -- my first thought was 'are we still paying for this guy?"

Apparently, we are still on the hook for part of his contract but now have two other teams in the 'misery loves company' situation.

the fact that now THREE teams are paying for his 2014 contract -- and as a prior post points out -- he is NOT playing for any of these teams (this could be an MLB record!!) -- as ridiculous as the situation sounds, it almost GUARANTEES that he will be playing for some MLB team in 2014 because they will only have to pick the major league minimum of his salary (not sure what that is these days, have increased with the recent MLBPA contract) to have him as a 5th/ 6th outfielder.......

so some small market team will sign Wells and place him on their roster -- I am assuming (and hoping) that 2014 is the end of his contract (and any Angels financial obligation) but would not be surprised to learn it extends through 2015.........

TRIVIA TIME:  Which MLB player is being paid by FOUR MLB teams to sit the bench during the 2014 season???

TRVIA TIME: What is the most expensive seat in the ballpark?? (ANSWER -- the one Wells is occupying in the dug out).

Well, having read LIGHT THE HALO's comment - he brings up an important point and an important consideration about Wells playing in 2014.........Wells himself has ZERO (or minimal) incentive to play if, as is likely the fact, his current contract is his final MLB contract.......

He can travel with a team all season and ride the bench and collect his salary being paid by four teams 

OR

He can sit at home eating bon-bons, do nothing and collect his salary.

He has essentially TWO incentives to possibly play -- 1.) the very low percentage chance that he would play half way decent and some team would offer him an incentive laden contract after his current contract expires (possible but highly unlikely this will happen) and 2.) His MLB pension benefit would increase by the actual roster time he would have during the 2014 season.......with the huge contracts (like Wells has) not sure if that's a major consideration or not but for some of the 25th man on the roster/ utility guys that have barely secured the four years (I think it's four) to gain MLB pension eligibility, it is a significant consideration..........for some big contract guys (perhaps Wells) who do not manage their finances well, it may be well worth it to maximize the monthly pension benefit that lasts a lifetime.......

chances of Wells playing in 2014 based on all this???  25 % yes  75% no.

Although, he will get offers, the question becomes, will be accept them?

I don't see Wells even getting an invitation to spring training. Given his production last year in the one thing he is supposedly good at - hitting home runs - he averaged one every 40+ plate appearances a year ago. Pretty much every organization in baseball has at least one guy in the minors who can match or beat that production, and odds are he isn't 35 years old. Are you going to bring up a guy who might develop into a solid major league hitter, or bring in a guy whose career is already pretty much done to do the same job?

There is an adage in baseball: Don't lose with old players.