• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 HOF Vote (Angelswin Results are in!)

mancini79

If you had to turn in a ballot, who would you vote for? Any player that gets 75% of the vote would make the HOF. It will be interesting how the Angelswin results compare to the official results. ***BBWAA results are in bold ***

Results are in! From this loaded ballot, we would have inducted a grand total of THREE players. That's it.

Maddux: 100% 97.7%

Glavine: 83.3% 91.9%

Thomas: 81.0% 83.7%

Piazza: 71.4% 62.2%

Biggio: 61.9% 74.8%

Bagwell: 50.0% 54.3%

Raines: 47.6% 46.%

Martinez: 38.1% 25.2%

Smith: 33.3% 29.9%

Clemens: 31.0% 35.4%

Bonds: 28.6% 34.7%

Mussina: 28.6% 20.3%

Schilling: 23.8% 29.2%

Morris: 19.1% 61.5%

Trammell: 16.7% 20.8%

McGwire: 11.9% 10.2%

Mattingly: 9.5% 8.2%

Kent: 7.1% 15.2%

McGriff: 7.1% 11.7%

Alou: 2.4% 1.5%

Sosa: 2.4% 7.2%

Gagne: 2.4% 0.3%

Nomo: 2.4% 1.5%

Palmeiro: 2.4% 4.4%

Walker 0% 10.2%

L Gonzalez 0% 0.9%

Snow 0% 0.4%

Benitez 0% 0.2%

J Jones 0% 0.2%

K Rogers 0% 0.2%

0% for both: Sean Casey, Todd Jones, Durham, Lo Duca, Sexon, Timlin

Edited by mancini79

Maddux, Thomas, Bagwell, Glavine, Piazza, Raines, Martinez, and although he got left out with the 20 option limit here: Mussina.

Shit, I'm only at 8 there so I should add Bonds and Clemens. And shit, Trammell is on that list too. A lot of deserving guys this time around.

Edited by jshep

As an Atlanta Braves fan, I would like to see Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux go in together. Although I have yet to forgive him for Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, I also would vote for Jack Morris.

My other choices:

Lee Smith (long overdue)

Frank Thomas

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines (also long overdue)

As much as I can't stand Bonds and as much as I know he wont get in any time soon I still have to vote for him.  His stats may have been aided by roids, but his greatness is still undeniable.  His career would still have been awesome without any help at all.

(of course, this is why his use of roids is that much more frustrating to me)

Hey stat guys or guys a little older than me. Can you compare Jeff Kent and Bobby Grich for me. Are they similar?

Kent played in an offense era, while Grich was from the more traditional times of the 1970s through mid 1980s. To me, Grich was the better all around player. Better glove, clutch hitter, produced a pair of 30 HR seasons and led the AL in HRs in strike shortened 1981, and was a definate clubhouse positive.

My one controversial pick so far would be Clemens.

Yep, he cheated, but likely only after about some 12 HOF worthy seasons pre-cheating. He was the most dominant pitcher in MLB from the mid 80s to the mid 90s.

Re: Schilling and Morris, either vote for both or for neither, because they had basically carbon copy type careers in not winning close to 300 games but instead being two of the best big game pitchers since the 1970s.

Then again, we may never see a 300 game winner again due to only 32/33 starts being made each year. A pitcher wound have to win close to half his starts for TWENTY years to win 300 games.

Morris won 256 games while Schilling won 218 games. Schilling won some 60% of his decisions though while Morris won some 58% of his decisions.

One surprise to Morris' stats: career ERA was 3.90 (ERA+ of only 105) in an era more pitching friendly than when Schilling pitched. Schilling's career ERA was 3.46 (ERA+ of 127).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Edgar, Jack Morris and lee smith are long overdue. It will be a damn shame if David Ortiz gets in before Edgar. Lee smith had the most career saves record for a lot of years before Trevor broke it. Morris was a dominate pitcher. I just don't get how he is not in already. If he had put up these numbers for the redfux or Yankees he is already in.

Maddux, Thomas, Bagwell, Glavine, Piazza, Raines, Martinez, and although he got left out with the 20 option limit here: Mussina.

This would be my ballot except for Martinez and Bagwell (not sure one way or the other on either). I'd also eventually vote for Clemens and Bonds, but not for another ten years.

No way would I vote for piazza for HOF. His masquerade as a catcher was a joke. They were putting him in HOF while he was still a dodger for crying out loud. I seem to recall most of his RBI as meaningless. There were a lot of whispers about PEDs. And why would the Dodgers, a team that historically keeps homegrown players, trade las orcas godson? There is definitely an untold story here. Plus he was a pickle bait dodger.

I really don't agree with Morris being deserving. 

Player A career fWAR: 52.7

Player B career fWAR: 53.3

Player A is Jack Morris. Player B is Kevin Appier. 

Morris was a nice pitcher but he isn't HOF material. His one great World Series is really making him a more popular candidate. 

Hey stat guys or guys a little older than me. Can you compare Jeff Kent and Bobby Grich for me. Are they similar?

Kent hit more HRs -- and HRs are popular.  Bobby Grich could play defense, hit for power and got on base -- also unlike Jeff Kent he didn't magically go from a slightly above league average hitter through his age 30 season to a complete offensive monster at age 30 in 1998 while playing alongside of Barry Bonds.  Yeah, that's not curious at all.

For their careers, Kent put up 55.2  bWAR (17th all time), in 2298 games.  Grich 71.0 bWAR (7th all time) in 2008 games.   To say that Bobby Grich was a world better player is selling Bobby Grich short.   There are 19 2B in the HOF -- with an average of 69.5 bWAR.  Bobby Grich's HOF case is one of the strongest out there -- unfortunately the voters are dullards.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Jack Morris should not be in the Hall of Fame. If he is selected the place should be renamed the Hall of Above Average.

Seriously, the vote should be taken away from the BBWAA.

Kudos to Deadspin for demonstrating how much of a joke this "process" is.

Edited by YouthofToday