• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let us ALL be realistic!

edgur1995

At this point we all pray and hope that we get Tanaka, but let us be realistic because we need to be....

We need a player who can fill our #3 spot and eventually be our ace in the forecoming years for when the terrible days that Jered Weaver starts to regress. I absolutely think Tanaka can be that guy. But at the end, let the bad news set in as many clubs are interested in his service. I was reading, a week ago, a article that the Cubs are willing to go all out for Tanaka ( that doesn't involve the heavy spending Yankees, the sneaky Dodgers, and etc. ). As I understand we don't have lots of cash to spend as well as I think this will come down to a bidding and location war. In summary, there's a slight chance we land him.

Are we going to wait for the domino affect to happen? As soon as Tanaka is signed, every other pitcher is rare hot bread! And its going to get pricey-ugly to the point of killing the Tanaka/Garza idea.

People suggest Garza as he is a very solid 3 spot but are you willing to pay a guy who seems to be cursed with injuries and when someone like Tanaka is a couple mill away. No thank you! That idea quickly exited this post!

So what do we do then? As hard as it seems to understand I say we act fast and stay clear of the Tanaka show and grab us a good veteran who is capable to man the 3 spot for a year till the Angels decide ( 1. Paul Malhom 2. Bronson Arroyo 3. Jason Hammel 4. Chris Capuano ). Many will disagree but I have read articles that Tyler Skaggs is ready to go. I personally wouldn't put him in the rotation right away but if the guy just absolutely tears it up, it would be difficult to send him down. And if we get a big name player like, Garza or Tanaka, it would just make it so hard sit them down (too much money on the bench is beyond idiotic) as it would be to sit a vet and have depth. So now we would have young studs with a veteran arm to insure any slacking pitchers while saving us a couple of pennies to shift our attention to the biggest concern, Mike Trout's extension!

We can now extend Trout and add on some stud pen guys and call this off-season a good one. This is my plan and opinions to close out the off-season moves. Thank you for reading and happy holidays!

I'm happy he was posted and that the Angels have a chance to obtain a guy with upside at a position of need..   I'm fully cognizant of the Dodgers interest, the Yankees need to add pitching, and the possibility the Rangers are looking to pull off a stealth move.  Thing is, I'm perfectly okay with the idea that they turn around and get a Maholm, Capuano, or Baker, and a RP scenario.  Tanaka may be the ideal but he's not the only option and ultimately they have to think long term, IMO.

My hope for the Angels this year is that they find a way to get themselves out of the corner they have painted themselves into.  If they do nothing other than play well but fall short of two better teams while extending Trout at some point and finding a couple pitchers to build around along I'd consider it a very successful season.  I want to see progress, the playoffs would be great but not a necessity.  I don't care if 2009 was a long time ago, I don't wan't to contend for one year and then fall back into oblivion, I want them to go on another run like the one we saw last decade.  The AL West isn't going to get any easier and the Angels need to plan short and long term.

I've been critical of Dipoto, I wonder who the real JD is, the guy who talks a good game or the guy that chases guys like Marmol.  But, I still hope that he turns out to be the guy that can usher in a new golden age, one where the Angels join the Red Sox, Rays, Rangers, and others as statistically inclined organizations.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Will all of these remaining FA pitchers wait until Tanaka is signed? Or will those that decide not to put in a bid, or believe they can't compete with the big dogs regarding his contract, sign the what will be perceived as bargain pitchers like Arroyo, Maholm and Capuano in the meantime before Tanaka is signed?

I'm concerned that Jan. 24th is too late and many of these pitchers mentioned above, if not all, will sign with someone else before that date. There is a chance the Angels are left with nothing.

I think people are going to be disappointed about a Trout extension - that probably comes next off-season, especially if Dipoto goes after Tanaka or Garza. What is more likely is that he gets a "feel-good" salary jump to a few million so he can afford a new TV for his parent's basement.

As for the pitchers, I agree with the OP that if it isn't Tanaka then Garza might not be worth it, but for some reason I see Garza in an Angels uniform - I think Dipoto ends up signing him. But as Inside Pitch said, you don't have to "act fast" with that third group of starters - they'll all relatively interchangeable and will be around for a couple months.

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of Aybar or Kendrick gets traded - there's still a lot of off-season.

I'm reasonably optimistic about Richards, and very optimistic about Skaggs. While its unlikely either will be a true ace, I think Skaggs will be a Dan Haren-esque #2 and Richards something like a slightly lesser John Lackey, a #3 guy.

I still can't believe the Angels got Skaggs AND Santiago for Trumbo. It seems too good to be true (which worries me); Santiago alone would have been a trade I wouldn't have been surprised with, and Skaggs alone one that I would have been pleased with. But both?

Call me naive, but I am not convinced there will be a robust market for the big three starting pitchers after Tanaka signs. The way I see it, there are a few teams that need to upgrade their rotation and will definitely pay to do so (Angels, Yankees, D-Backs), and a few other teams that will bid on Tanaka but won't sign anyone else if they fail to land him (Cubs, Astros, Dodgers).

If we don't sign Tanaka, best case scenario might actually be for the Yankees to get him, as that would probably take them out of the Garza bidding.

Call me naive, but I am not convinced there will be a robust market for the big three starting pitchers after Tanaka signs. The way I see it, there are a few teams that need to upgrade their rotation and will definitely pay to do so (Angels, Yankees, D-Backs), and a few other teams that will bid on Tanaka but won't sign anyone else if they fail to land him (Cubs, Astros, Dodgers).

If we don't sign Tanaka, best case scenario might actually be for the Yankees to get him, as that would probably take them out of the Garza bidding.

I can definitely see this happening.

The D Backs have made some very weird moves so I'm sure they'll end up signing one of these bigger name pitchers.

Yankees will be involved with most guys as well. Cleveland should be interested in one of the pitchers. And of course the Angels will be in on a few of these guys.

Outside of those teams, I don't see a much bigger market for these pitchers. Losing a draft pick to sign Santana clearly is a risk just as it is for Jimenez. Garza is a solid option, especially with no pick, but his price looks like it's going to be unreasonable. Tanaka is a great choice but every team will be bidding which means his price will be up.

Of course, there could very well be desperate teams, maybe the Orioles, who cave in and sign one of these guys to a huge deal, but I really don't see a very bit market otherwise.

Is Tanaka signing with the Angels really a 'prayer-worthy' event?  Doesn't the lord above have more important items to contemplate?

Looks like someone has had some unanswered prayers when dealing with Angels free agency.  The 90's were pretty rough on all of us YK.  Not even prayers to the Almighty could rescue us from that disaster.  

Signing Tanaka would be a nice prize and possiblity an opportunity to again win the off-season.  With that said, I am more interested in the Angels making a "smart-long term" decision instead of a splash.  If that long term decision is Tanaka, then I think money is not a concern, even with the impending Trout contract.

I am not worried about whether we sign Tanaka based on some of the moves this winter.  I am looking forward to 2014.

Personally, I'm fine with the rotation as is. I think Skaggs needs an organization to trust him. He should be ready to go, more time in AAA will do nothing for him.

Jerry already made the brilliant move he needed by landing two very good, young and inexpensive arms for Mark Trumbo. Sure, go after Tanaka with all you've got because he's not the type of SP that hits the market very often. But after that, don't mess around with the Maholm's of the world.

I'd rather see the Angels trust their young projectable arms than accept mediocrity. Mediocrity will not be the difference this team needs. On top of which, the Angels already have some rotation depth, they just need to trust it. Matt Shoemaker and Michael Roth are fine options Incan emergency. We'll still have Blanton in long relief as well and Sappington is only a year or two away. It wouldn't kill him if he came up for one start toward the end of the year when the Angs need innings. It's be good experience.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

If the Angels end up with Tanaka, Weaver and Wilson, chances are one of Richards, Skaggs or Santiago will come forward as a solid, dependable 4th starter, and the Angels will have a good chance of competing for the division.

If the Angels end up with Garza, this team will need lots of things to break their way in order to contend for the division.

If the Angels don't get either, this team has zero chance of competing whatsoever.

Honestly, if we get Tanaka (and he pitches to his abilities), and two of Santiago/Skaggs/Richards pitch like #4's (which isn't much to ask for really), we will have the best pitching rotation in the division. If Pujols/Hamilton just play DECENTLY, we're a top 3-5 offense (we were top 5 across the board last year with so many injuries and under-performances). I expect us to be a very good team in that situation.

Anything other than that and we're a slightly above average team, but I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up in 3rd place again.