• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trumbo is traded who is the DH?

Angelsjunky

Gotta be Cron.

Would be interesting if after doing well in the AFL the team decided they needed to go with him.

BTW to all the people that seem to think Don Baylor is going to somehow get Trumbo to be less of a hack and avoid long slumps - why not actually see what he could do with Grant Green as a full time DH?  Career AAA .309/356/.479 batting line, almost all of it in Sacramento, a pretty significant pitcher's park with a HR index of 74 to RHBs.  

If Baylor is expected to work miracles with a 28 year old Trumbo, I'd rather see him work that magic on a 26 year old Grant Green.

the fact that the question has to be asked illustrates why its a bad idea. you could run those names out there sure, but you wont get the production you had

i only trade Trumbo for a 2-3 type starter, then get someone to fill that spot in FA like Hart, Inanez or even bringing back Morlaes in that capacity.  if its a middle of the road 3-4 type starter i dont deal Trumbo, period.

We could deal Kendrick or Aybar, who we already have replacements fo, and get a starter of that quslity i think as 2B and even @@ seem to be of more value than previous years.

Would be interesting if after doing well in the AFL the team decided they needed to go with him.

BTW to all the people that seem to think Don Baylor is going to somehow get Trumbo to be less of a hack and avoid long slumps - why not actually see what he could do with Grant Green as a full time DH?  Career AAA .309/356/.479 batting line, almost all of it in Sacramento, a pretty significant pitcher's park with a HR index of 74 to RHBs.  

If Baylor is expected to work miracles with a 28 year old Trumbo, I'd rather see him work that magic on a 26 year old Grant Green.

Or use Grant Green as a fallback if Howie is traded instead of Trumbo. I cringe at the thought of both Howie and Trumbo out of this lineup in exchange for pitching.

the fact that the question has to be asked illustrates why its a bad idea. you could run those names out there sure, but you wont get the production you had

i only trade Trumbo for a 2-3 type starter, then get someone to fill that spot in FA like Hart, Inanez or even bringing back Morlaes in that capacity.  if its a middle of the road 3-4 type starter i dont deal Trumbo, period.

We could deal Kendrick or Aybar, who we already have replacements fo, and get a starter of that quslity i think as 2B and even @@ seem to be of more value than previous years.

I'd rather have to answer the question of who DHs if we trade Trumbo than who are the number 4 and 5 starters in our rotation.

Or use Grant Green as a fallback if Howie is traded instead of Trumbo. I cringe at the thought of both Howie and Trumbo out of this lineup in exchange for pitching.

If I have to move only one, I don't want to trade Howie, I would rather see Trumbo sent packing and keep Howie's combination of bat and glove in Anaheim than let Grant Green do his Chili Davis at 2nd base act.  It's really scary how little merit a lot of people give to run prevention.  

People fall in love with the power and seemingly disregard everything else about Trumbo.  It sucks, because he's one of the most likeable Angels but, he's easily the most overrated right now.

When it's all said and done, Howie has been the better offensive piece in two of the last three years -- and will always be the better defender, at a MUCH more demanding position.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Cron's value jumped up big time after his AFL performance.  He not only hit for the signature power but he came in with the specific goal of working more counts and increasing his BB total.  You may also notice that his final two months in AA his recorded more BB than any other month.  If Cron makes that adjustment, he's going to be a beast in the majors.  Power hitter with excellent contact ability that can also take a walk.  Not many of those.  

Cron's value jumped up big time after his AFL performance.  He not only hit for the signature power but he came in with the specific goal of working more counts and increasing his BB total.  You may also notice that his final two months in AA his recorded more BB than any other month.  If Cron makes that adjustment, he's going to be a beast in the majors.  Power hitter with excellent contact ability that can also take a walk.  Not many of those.  

I'm gonna need to see a whole year of that before being convinced. 

I'm gonna need to see a whole year of that before being convinced. 

Same. His BABIP was through the roof in the AFL. Don't get me wrong I liked what he did there but sustained performance first. Chuck will hopefully be posting my newest 'Hot Stove Trade Speculation' article soon and I think you'll find an interesing interim solution to losing both Trumbo and Kendrick in trade that would also allow Cron to develop another year or two before slotting in at DH.

He had a grand total of 23 walks all season in AA, so forgive me for not putting much stock in the fact that he walked "more" in the last two months than in other months...

Edited by jsnpritchett

That's misleading, considering 7 of Cron's 16 walks from June-September were of the intentional variety. So that's 9 unintentional walks during the last 3+ months of the season, or an average of 3 unintentional walks per month. He had 5 unintentional walks (combined) in April and May. He took 16 unintentional walks all of last season.

I don't really see a legit improvement...just an illusion.

That said, hopefully he improves on that next year.

Season's Greetings!

The Halos seem to be bridging themselves. Freese is that for 3B with Cowart. If they trade Trumbo, I'd say they're planning on Kendris back here. Which, is all the more reason to trade Trumbo.

Last year close to this time, I suggested the Halos sap the Astros with some of those prospects they received from deals over recent seasons. I'm returning to it for this year, as well.

Trumbo and Kendrick themselves showed to hit Minute Maid pretty well last season, perhaps looking that much more attractive to the desparate-for-bats Astros. DiPoto can, with clever scouting, leverage for quite the deal from the Astros for Kendrick and Trumbo together, where they could get Altuve as part of it, the nearly ready intriguing arm, and perhaps another prospect in return depending on that arm.

I would like to have seen DiPoto maybe throw Bourjos in toward working for the bigger deal with them, but they needed a bridge 3B man too, so maybe Shuck instead, I don't know.

Edited by HaloRed16