• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bourjos traded to Cardinals

SoWhat

I think some of you guys are over valuing Bourjos way too much. I know we fall victim to only thinking the stories that come out are the only ones happening. It's very possible Dipoto has been shopping Bourjos for weeks and has received zero interest in him. We don't know.

I'm actually good with this trade. We have a huge hole at 3B that needs to be filled. Bourjos was going to be nothing but a defensive replacement/pinch runner next year on this team with Calhoun going into the OF. Don't see what the huge deal is here.

If there wasnt much interest in PB you keep him. You don't dump him for the sake of dumping him. Thats what we did.

My thoughts...

Gold Glove caliber CF'ers don't grow on trees.

Not addressing the pitching feels like... Hey, I'm about to lose my arm due to it nearly being cut off, but I'll address the scratch on my toe with a band-aid first.

I'm not on the "Fire Dipoto" wagon, but I'm not happy so far.

The addition of Freese allows DiPoto to trade one of Aybar or Kendrick for a starting pitcher. Think outside the box Angels fans. This trade is merely to position DiPoto to make a bigger trade with another team.

Trading a bench player (Bourjos) for a starting 3Bman is a good trade in my opinion.

Bourjos posted a 4 WAR 2011. That is a pretty good bench player.

I seriously wonder if the Cards would have just non-tendered Freese. They really wanted to get Wong at 2B and in order to do that they had to move Carpenter to 3B. Carpenter>Freese, so if push came to shove....you'd figure they'd have just non-tendered Freese if need be. Now they get that situation fixed AND they got the hole at CF fixed all in one nice little trade.

I don't see how this is a terrible trade for us….

Bourjos is a good player but nothing what you guys think he is and he is GLASS, only playing 156 games in the last two years …

Most of that had to do with the emergence of Trout than anything else.

Also I'm still not sold on Freese being a solid 3Bman.

Got tired of reading and cant get through 28 plus pages. I was ok with trading PB if it got us some pitching help. Right now I believe this be a worse trade than Napoli for Wells. However I am an optimist. I hope this move sets up a blockbuster trade for pitching. However if it blows up in our face I will go AO on all you belittle PB.

This is what Keith Law said:

About Grichuck: "But age is about all he has left in his favor after four years of injuries and awful OBPs. He has never been able to recognize off-speed stuff enough to get into favorable counts, never mind draw actual walks -- his 26 unintentional walks this year were a career high, and it took 540 plate appearances to get them."

"Bourjos is a near-zero at the plate, however, with no power, poor plate discipline, and a lot of strikeouts for a guy who could pick up 10 or more hits per year just with his speed if he puts the ball in play. His 2011 season was a huge outlier, unlikely to ever be repeated, but his glove and legs make him a potential 2-WAR player if he even hits an empty .260-.270 for a full season. "

"...most scouts think he's an 80-grade defender who can't hit..."

"As for Salas, the Angels desperately need bullpen arms, and he is a fairly generic right-hander who has ninth-inning experience (woo-hoo) and three pitches, but nothing plus, meaning he has to throw strikes to be effective. His slider is better than his changeup, and lefties tore him apart in 2013, but the change is good enough that I think he can be a seventh- or eighth-inning guy if he throws strikes."

Ultimately:

"Bourjos is a lock for 1.5 WAR or more because of the glove and speed, while Freese has a wider range of outcomes, and has to stay healthy enough to get to his 15-18 homer power to make this deal work out for the Angels in the long run."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=1533

This is about as positive as you can be about this trade, and it's basically saying so because Law thinks Bourjos is garbage. At the same time he seems to think Freese is likely to be more garbage.

I seriously wonder if the Cards would have just non-tendered Freese. They really wanted to get Wong at 2B and in order to do that they had to move Carpenter to 3B. Carpenter>Freese, so if push came to shove....you'd figure they'd have just non-tendered Freese if need be. Now they get that situation fixed AND they got the hole at CF fixed all in one nice little trade.

I doubt they would have non-tendered him with the dearth of 3B options in the game, even after his 2013 someone would have offered something before it got to that I would assume.

Still, we sure paid a decent price for a guy we were SUPPOSEDLY buying low on.