• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Isnt it funny that baseball players are considered pro athletes...

To generate the club head speed of a professional golfer or the bat speed of a ML hitter requires athleticism. That said, in terms of speed, strength and agility, football players take the cake. Football is an athlete's game. Baseball is a skill game. Generally speaking.

Growing up, the kids who couldn't throw or hit a baseball, or dribble or shoot a basketball, played football. Hell, I didn't play football until it was apparent I wasn't going to be playing baseball after high school.

Golf is a magic gray area for me. Dudes like Stadler, Waldorf, Perry, etc. plus weekend warriors that shop at Big Dogs can play and at times put up solid scores. That said, like most sports, the athletic ones are the cream of the crop and put in the effort to be successful.

I have no clue what you said, but NASCAR and Golf aren't real sports to me....and I love golf. Just because they are on ESPN with things like poker doesn't make them athletic or sports outside of merely being competitive.

Sorry you think mental skills consist of being athletic.

lmao!  Soccer players?  I definitely think they are good athletes, certainly better than baseball, but not near the best.

I would say Hockey, by a long shot, then basketball and football skill position players.

Edited by nate

Its simple. It just comes down to things being different in context.

Yes, there's some fat ass baseball players. To be fair though, they generally play a small handful of positions. Most outfielders and middle infielders are pretty fit.

I think mlb as a whole is trending towards being more fit. Especially with steroud testing making it so doing a cycle of clem doesn't even out a lazy lifestyle.

I also would argue that are in better shape than they seem, but that the uniform itself (which is generally baggy) kind of disguises it. Not at all saying that guys like prince, papi, mcab etc are in shape hidden under a baggy jersey. But there's a lot of guys who are.

All that being said, is it as athletic as most football positions? No. Is it more so than some other sports? Yes.

Hockey players do the same at a speed 10x soccer. They also have to have incredible hands and agility.

I don't disagree with hockey, but the speed is logistical to the fact we use skates and the amount of friction.

Soccer is a lot harder than people give credit for. The clock always runs and is 90 minutes, so you don't get to catch a break during a huddle or step out of some batters box, plus the skill aspect.

The toughest and most athletic thing I've done outside hockey is wrestling.

Soccer players run several miles in each game and dribbling and other moves require considerable amounts of skill.

that's a good point, but like basketball, the majority of the running is more jog than sprint. (Not taking anything away, just saying its not high impact for four quarters as some think)

That said, gymnastics for the most part is super athletic. In my earlier days, when 7 out of 10 guys I lifted with were making weekly trips to mexico to get cheap steroids, the strongest pound for pound guy I knew (by far) was a non roiding gymnist. I only worked out with him occasionally, but was always blown away how much weight he could push, and how trim he remained.

I'm too lazy these days to train like I used to, but I've always been a huge believer in athletic training over weight training.

People who have never wrestled don't know how much cardio is involved simply tying up. Add to the fact most guys (at the high school and college level) are on an extremely low cal diet, and you can picture how much harder it is than most other sports.

Then add doing it with a boa constrictor around your neck and rubber bands in your face, and you have the apex predator of athletics.

Baseball is an American sport

in the great sport of baseball you can be:

300 lbs or 160 lbs... and be the best

black, white, hispanic or asian..... and be the best

42 years old... and be the best

18 years old... and be the best

and you can be DRUNK.... and still be the best!!!!

can you do that in soccer? dont think sooo

can you do that in hockey, basketball, tennis or any other gay european sport? DONT THINK SO

GOD BLESS BASEBALL

GOD BLESS AMERICA, the land of opportunity, no matter how fat, drunk or whatever minority you are!!!

Edited by notherhalo

I wrestled in high school. It was ridiculously hard. The balance, combined w strength and endurance, is a good combo.

It was 30 + years ago but i remember one match. After one six-minute match, i did not have the strength to sqeeze a water bottle to get a drink. It took that much out of you.

I think its ridiculous to denigrate any sport. Soccer takes tremendous stamina. And what i see high school kids do today on the field - it blows away what we could do.

My son played water polo. Another ridiculously hard sport to master.

Football has an added injury factor. Baseball has a fear factor. All are tough.

People who have never wrestled don't know how much cardio is involved simply tying up. Add to the fact most guys (at the high school and college level) are on an extremely low cal diet, and you can picture how much harder it is than most other sports.

Then add doing it with a boa constrictor around your neck and rubber bands in your face, and you have the apex predator of athletics.

Yeah, I was one of the rare dudes on the team in that I never had to cut weight all four years in high school...it was actually the opposite. I feel like when I was a senior I was close to where I'm at now at 6' tall, but I wrestled 145s and was essentially under weight. I even wrestled tournaments at 152 when an injury happened to our reg and got worked by the stronger dudes.

Wrestling was tough just in matches, but practice for those was a beast and I started wrestling in 4th grade and it never got easy or easier.