• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Isnt it funny that baseball players are considered pro athletes...

I feel like hitting and pitching is a skill. The fielding and running part requires more athleticism. There is fat players because they have great skills, not athleticism. I love baseball, but I think its pathetic how some of these guys take care of their bodies. Every pro baseball player should be in exceptional shape.

Of course hitting and pitching is a skill.  It is a skill that takes motor mechanics, thus athleticism!

What the hell do you guys define as athleticism anyway?  Fielding and running require a different type of athleticism.  

Athleticism is a combination of speed, power, agility, leaping abilities, coordination, reflex as among other things. Baseball players are athletes, they have exceptional hand eye coordination. However I feel a baseball player does not need an array of athletic abilities to be successful.

Your logic is nuts. Are you saying being able to hit doesn't take footwork and body mechanics? Throwing a ball takes footwork and body mechanics. The so called "fat" DH's still have to hit the ball to get a job. That takes a lot of athletic ability. If it didn't everybody would be able to do it!

No, I think your comprehension is nuts. I'm comparing it to other sports. Stack up all the major pro sports and which has the least amount of athleticism?

I also think you, like others here, are mixing up skill and athleticism. Diving for a ball or robbing a homerun is athletic, timing a round bat on a round ball is the hardest thing in all of sports and a skill.

Does it trip you out when football players or basketball players play their sport on drugs?

Not really. Smoking weed is limited in that you wake up and are fine. Most of sports use uppers anyway, if someone was going to use substances.

The reason one can get trashed in baseball as I've seen guys like Arredondo and Aybar do is because you can take plays off in baseball that you can't in, say, hockey, soccer, or basketball. You're not always involved in plays and if an opposing pitcher is on his game you could even not hit the batters box for two innings.

Just be real about it man. No need to defend all of baseball against other sports that are more athletic.

What is really funny is that this is a total troll thread in every way and you guys took the bait.

Well done helping it along Brandon, well done.

haha.

it was one of those things where I thought, "why the hell would anyone post this?" and responded because it's different....but not.

we've had this thread many times. I think I even say the same thing every time. I just find it funny when the baseball purists get upset and challenge baseball players athleticism to other sports.

I'll be done now and let it continue to go off the tracks like it normally does.

I'm not trolling.

You can play a beer league and drink while playing softball...I think there is even a booze game where you have a keg at second, but you can't drink on the bench and go out and play in other sports.

It's a skill game for sure, but far from the crazy athletes some people see it as.

No, I think your comprehension is nuts. I'm comparing it to other sports. Stack up all the major pro sports and which has the least amount of athleticism?

I also think you, like others here, are mixing up skill and athleticism. Diving for a ball or robbing a homerun is athletic, timing a round bat on a round ball is the hardest thing in all of sports and a skill.

I feel like hitting and pitching is a skill. The fielding and running part requires more athleticism. There is fat players because they have great skills, not athleticism. I love baseball, but I think its pathetic how some of these guys take care of their bodies. Every pro baseball player should be in exceptional shape.

I agree with you.  I see a lot of guys in this world series that are tremendously overweight.  I understand some of them are great hitters but they could be so much better players if they tried to get their body to resemble what you might think a pro athlete would look like. 

Theres a difference with the NFL lineman imo.  Some of those guys need the extra weight because they are blockers after all, their job is to get in the way of the opponent.  And even still, those guys could probably get to first base faster then a lof of MLB players.  But when I see a guy like Napoli or Big Papi, it doesnt make sense why they would want to be overweight.  Pretty sure they can still keep their power if they dropped some belly fat, and with todays trainers and equipment being a pro athlete for a big orginization like the Red Sox, it shouldnt be that difficult.  Less weight for them means they could probably increase their batting average a litlte bit by beating some throws. 

Golfing. Nascar. Enough said. I am sorry that you think the 9noy th I ngs that are athletic are running and jumping.

I have no clue what you said, but NASCAR and Golf aren't real sports to me....and I love golf. Just because they are on ESPN with things like poker doesn't make them athletic or sports outside of merely being competitive.

Sorry you think mental skills consist of being athletic.

To generate the club head speed of a professional golfer or the bat speed of a ML hitter requires athleticism. That said, in terms of speed, strength and agility, football players take the cake. Football is an athlete's game. Baseball is a skill game. Generally speaking.

Growing up, the kids who couldn't throw or hit a baseball, or dribble or shoot a basketball, played football. Hell, I didn't play football until it was apparent I wasn't going to be playing baseball after high school.