• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Isnt it funny that baseball players are considered pro athletes...

I wrestled in high school. It was ridiculously hard. The balance, combined w strength and endurance, is a good combo.

It was 30 + years ago but i remember one match. After one six-minute match, i did not have the strength to sqeeze a water bottle to get a drink. It took that much out of you.

I think its ridiculous to denigrate any sport. Soccer takes tremendous stamina. And what i see high school kids do today on the field - it blows away what we could do.

My son played water polo. Another ridiculously hard sport to master.

Football has an added injury factor. Baseball has a fear factor. All are tough.

I never did water Polo but that might supplant wrestling. Just messing around with it was ridiculous.

I don't know if anyone is talking shit about sports (maybe the OP is trolling) as much as simply putting into perspective various sports. The baseball purists only want to mention the five tool guys and think that is baseball while forgetting a good majority of players.

Yeah, I was one of the rare dudes on the team in that I never had to cut weight all four years in high school...it was actually the opposite. I feel like when I was a senior I was close to where I'm at now at 6' tall, but I wrestled 145s and was essentially under weight. I even wrestled tournaments at 152 when an injury happened to our reg and got worked by the stronger dudes.

Wrestling was tough just in matches, but practice for those was a beast and I started wrestling in 4th grade and it never got easy or easier.

You were that guy! No chewing on starburts and spitting into a cup then huh? But be honrst....you had a copy of vision quest that you watched so many times it had tracking lines on the screen right? (Or was that just me? 'Shoot' was a beast).

To piggyback on you and yk's post, I did like a month of water polo before I quit and went to wrestling (water polo wasn't high on the cool list at my school). Speedo jokes aside, that was a hell of a conditioning sport. Its nonfluke every 'fish' in high school is ripped up. Their training is one of the bigger washouts at BUDS (seal school). 'Egg beatering' is a lot harder than it looks.

Its funny, I don't know about anyone else, but wrestling wasn't very popular at my high school (though it was probably the best program). Water polo wasn't either. A male gymnist would be even lower. And all three are probably the toughest from a fitness standpoint than anyof the popular sports.

I played water polo in high school and at LBSU (and continue to play Masters tournaments occasionally).  I still play rec-league ice hockey (and have played games for OCC years ago, along with more recent games against LBSU).

I have never wrestled or played football, but any sport that requires stamina with physical-contact (hitting) is tough.  I grew-up playing soccer, and it is a difficult sport since you've got to have endurance to run and control the ball with your feet at the same time.

I'd have to say hockey is the toughest sport to go pro in.  I have played some full-contact games, and getting hit really takes it out of you.  Then you've gotta get-up and skate end-to-end.  That's why they keeps their shifts so short.  If you get involved in a scrum at the end of a shift, you're really gonna need some recovery time.  I can't think of any "fat" pro-hockey players.

Water polo is not too far behind hockey for me.  The physicality is a little different, but swimming end-to-end after having some monster draped on you is difficult.  Unlike hockey though, you can have your oxygen taken-away from you (by getting pushed and held underwater) and have your nuts twisted.  I play goalie most of the time now and, while it cuts-down on the physical-side of the game, I found that I'm usually working just as hard as the field players (having to play the entire game, doing the "egg-beater" kick hard to try and make saves).  There are some "bigger" players in water polo, but I wouldn't call them fat, since they have no problem getting up-and-down the pool.  At LBSU, my back-up goalie left to join the SEALS and had a good career there.

I'd put a lot of sports ahead of baseball, considering overall athletic ability.  Basketball is one of them because of the constant running and cutting.  It has some physicality to it when defenders are trying to box-out players, and it takes talent to run the court and make a shot at the end of the run.  There are "bigger" basketball players too, but they have size and height to succeed.

Rugby might be my new number one toughest sport though.  They wear no pads, and try to take each others heads off while running the field.  I've never played, but the difficulty is easy to see when you watch it.

I don't think of Golf as a traditional "sport" since it's more like billiards.  The players need athletic ability to hit the shots as well as they do, and at least they have to walk.  I try to walk and carry my clubs when I play in order to get some hint of a workout from climbing the hills.

Baseball is most definitely a sport where you need stamina and strength (especially to play longer pro seasons), but you've got to have the coordination to square-up a hit too.  These "fat" players in baseball (I'm looking at you, Prince!) have their place in the game because they can crush the ball (or throw it really well), and still run the bases and field a position (usually 1B, and with seriously-restricted range and speed).  I only play once a week now, but I really feel it if I go into a game out of baseball-shape.

Pros are the ones who found the successful balance between their skill-level and weight-class.

Long Beach State water polo has a freshman who plays set from Laguna... 6-7, 345.

I had to look this guy up!  He's Duncan Lynde, and he has 5 goals in 20 game-appearances.  When I played there we had Kyle Kopp.  He was about the same height, but at least 100 pounds lighter.  This Lynde kid sounds like a Loch Ness Monster; I'm sure he hucks it as hard as Kopp did.

I'm hoping to make it to the game this Sunday vs. Cal to check him and the rest of the team out.

Motocross has the best athlete's. Traveling at speeds fater than the human body should go, get propelled through the air and maintain their balance along with the impact from landing and let's not forget the constant impact from the smaller obstacles.