• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This will be a good team next year

Already counting on Vargas to be in the rotation? Yes he's a hometown guy and might take a discount, but he might also go to the highest bidder as well. 

I like him and hope the Angels can extend him.

We need to give him a qualifying offer.  That way we at least get an extra draft pick if we do lose him.

If we lose him we would need two new starters.  

I would like to keep Howie; however, he is the one guy I believe that could bring us an impact pitching prospect.  We could trade Bourjos, Trumbo, or Calhoun but I believe they would only bring a bottom of the order pitcher.  I wonder if PB's injury would prevent him from being traded.  That leaves Trumbo or Calhoun.  Trade the one that brings us the best pitcher.

You say we need too more pitchers in the rotation.

Weaver, Wilson, are locks.

Are you saying either Vargas or Richards isn't good enough to start?

I want Richards in the rotation next year. I'm not really high on re-signing Vargas, he'll probably get a multi-year deal with an AAV of $12M, which I don't think he's worth. Edited by SoWhat

I want Richards in the rotation next year. I'm not really high on re-signing Vargas, he'll probably get a multi-year deal with an AAV of $12M, which I don't think he's worth.

He's not, but if the Angels don't sign him that creates another hole in the rotation. I think if they sign Vargas and keep him as the number 4, they can then target a number 3 and a young prospect with a ton of upside to be in AAA and fill in when someone goes down.

if they don't re-sign Vargas, then that's 2 starters (at least) who are of the some quality (at least) and a young pitcher to fill the 6th spot that they will need to get this offseason.

I'm willing to bet Vargas will stay with the Angels for something like 3/33, and I would be perfectly happy with that.

<<<< This will be a good team next year>>>>

It was supposed to be this year. The same disappointing results will ensue again if the manager begins the season not having his team prepared properly. This has happened for the past 4 seasons, yet lessons have not been learned. This fact is what is going to be the cause of Mike losing his job as manager at the conclusion of this, another disappointing and underachieving season.

Next years rotation really comes down to one thing and one thing only, the velocity of Weavers fastball.

While having low 90's velocity on his fastball again would be great - and helpful, that isn't what will make the difference, Strad, in my opinion. There are several of his losses that he could have won had either the bp been able to hold a lead, or the offense had picked him up. His ERA and WHIP are solid. I think him being healthy all season could make a difference. Not trotting Blanton out to the mound over and over will be a plus. We need another reliable starter to take Blanton's spot.

Ed, I believe he was being sarcastic since many people wrote Weaver off coming into the season since he lost his fastball velo and he's done very well.

This. There was an awesome thread about how Weaver isn't an ace anymore that gets bumped each times he blows up or pitches great.

The Starting pitching isn't as bad as y'all think

Starter ERAs of the core guys:

Wilson - 3.44

Weaver - 3.66

Richards - 3.81

Vargas - 4.20  was 3.76 before the last outing where he gave up 8 ERs 3 of which came because Rasmus gave up a GS

These 4 have combined for a 40-25 record (.615 winning pct), and that's with this incredibly bad bullpen.  You make a run at Tanaka, or  make a trade to fill out the other spot in the rotation.  But, the main issue is the bullpen.  And, no one can understate how important that is. 

Wilson - 3.44

Weaver - 3.66

Richards - 3.81

Vargas - 4.20 was 3.76 before the last outing where he gave up 8 ERs 3 of which came because Rasmus gave up a GS

These 4 have combined for a 40-25 record (.615 winning pct), and that's with this incredibly bad bullpen. You make a run at Tanaka, or make a trade to fill out the other spot in the rotation. But, the main issue is the bullpen. And, no one can understate how important that is.

Not to sound like a jerk, but pitchers wins should have nothing to do with judging them. Vargas' ERA is where it should be, looking at his other peripherals, his 3.76 ERA was fluky. I'd like to see them go after Tanaka & trade for a young arm like Archie Bradley.

Wilson - 3.44

Weaver - 3.66

Richards - 3.81

Vargas - 4.20  was 3.76 before the last outing where he gave up 8 ERs 3 of which came because Rasmus gave up a GS

These 4 have combined for a 40-25 record (.615 winning pct), and that's with this incredibly bad bullpen.  You make a run at Tanaka, or  make a trade to fill out the other spot in the rotation.  But, the main issue is the bullpen.  And, no one can understate how important that is. 

Well first, you're assuming that Vargas is still on the team next year. Second, you are also assuming that those 4 guys stay healthy for the entire year, which is very unlikely. Third, you are assuming that they put up the exact same numbers. Wilson and Weaver are pretty good bets, and Vargas is an ok bet as well, but Richards is completely unknown at this point and has only just started showing signs of being a viable MLB starter.

I don't completely agree with the notion that wins are worthless when evaluating a pitchers ability. Haven't you ever seen a pitcher pitch better in close games, or pitchers that just couldn't pitch with a lead very well?

Is yu darvish a worse pitcher than one would think because he's lost 4 1-0 games?

<<<< This will be a good team next year>>>>

It was supposed to be this year. The same disappointing results will ensue again if the manager begins the season not having his team prepared properly. This has happened for the past 4 seasons, yet lessons have not been learned. This fact is what is going to be the cause of Mike losing his job as manager at the conclusion of this, another disappointing and underachieving season.

So you really think a rotation of Hanson and Blanton was good?  I knew it wasn't good for the get go and did not have high expectations on this year team  I hate it when people call this a underachieving season because it wasn't.  Dipoto gambled and lost.  Fact is the pitching staff wasn't good and wasn't deep and we faced injuries.  Just take a look at how they played the last 20+ games!  That was how the team is supposed to play without giving up 40% of their games before the first pitch (Blanton and Hanson) and rest of the staff is healthy.

I want Richards in the rotation next year. I'm not really high on re-signing Vargas, he'll probably get a multi-year deal with an AAV of $12M, which I don't think he's worth.

Need to at least offer him a qualifying offer.  Get at least a draft pick, but I agree with many on this board that Vargas is very important to resign.  I don't want to go looking for two starters.

Well first, you're assuming that Vargas is still on the team next year. Second, you are also assuming that those 4 guys stay healthy for the entire year, which is very unlikely. Third, you are assuming that they put up the exact same numbers. Wilson and Weaver are pretty good bets, and Vargas is an ok bet as well, but Richards is completely unknown at this point and has only just started showing signs of being a viable MLB starter.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that your players will remain relatively healthy. If you went into the offseason with the plan to fill holes AND also adding depth, then you're really spending a lot of money, and even Arte has some limits to spending.

The main point is that the management needs to address the bullpen first and then the starters.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that your players will remain relatively healthy. If you went into the offseason with the plan to fill holes AND also adding depth, then you're really spending a lot of money, and even Arte has some limits to spending.

The main point is that the management needs to address the bullpen first and then the starters.

Adding depth is a part of building a strong ball club. You can't just ignore your team's depth and hope no one gets hurt. That's what the 2013 Angels did.

There is no question that the bullpen needs to be addressed, but the entire pitching staff is the reason for the Angels being where they are right now.