• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick

LAAMike

I think Terry Smith was on radio the other day saying the reason Howie does well in the Spring is the heavy dose of fastballs he gets during the first few weeks but Howie will cool off at the end of the month when starters begin throwing more breaking pitches. I don't think pitchers will continue to throw fastballs regardless of being in the 2nd spot of the lineup when the scouting reports say down and away all day.

I think Terry Smith was on radio the other day saying the reason Howie does well in the Spring is the heavy dose of fastballs he gets during the first few weeks but Howie will cool off at the end of the month when starters begin throwing more breaking pitches. I don't think pitchers will continue to throw fastballs regardless of being in the 2nd spot of the lineup when the scouting reports say down and away all day.

Pitchers are less likely to throw as many pitches down and away when Trout is standing on First though.

Who are the 2nd basemen in the AL who are better than Kendrick?

Cano

Pedroia

Kinsler?

KIpnis?

Kendrick may not be Robinson Cano or Dustin Pedroia, but he's better than most of the other AL second baseman year to year. Kinsler's numbers aren't as good as one would think in 2012 after being great in 2011. Kipnis is only a 2nd year player. Ackley hasn't broken out in Seattle, the way people thought he would by now. In Houston, they have Altuve, but I don't know if I'd think he's better than Kendrick. He was only a 1.3 WAR player last year, even with all the hype. Oakland has a revolving door there, but Jemile Weeks hasn't turned into a solid regular so who knows how good he'll be in 2013. 

In Tampa, they also have a revolving door at 2nd, some Sean-Rod, some Zobrist, no regular guy. In Baltimore, Brian Roberts hasn't played a full season since 09, so I have no idea who they have now. The Twins used mostly Alexi Casilla, the Jays have Bonaficio and Izturis, White Sox played Beckham, who like Weeks hasn't lived up to his potential. While the Tigers and Royals also played a mish mash of guys too, Infante is good, but not better than Kendrick. 

Basically then Kendrick is the 3rd or 4th best regular 2nd baseman in the AL out of 15 teams. 

I can live with that.

Who are the 2nd basemen in the AL who are better than Kendrick?

Cano

Pedroia

Kinsler?

KIpnis?

Kendrick may not be Robinson Cano or Dustin Pedroia, but he's better than most of the other AL second baseman year to year. Kinsler's numbers aren't as good as one would think in 2012 after being great in 2011. Kipnis is only a 2nd year player. Ackley hasn't broken out in Seattle, the way people thought he would by now. In Houston, they have Altuve, but I don't know if I'd think he's better than Kendrick. He was only a 1.3 WAR player last year, even with all the hype. Oakland has a revolving door there, but Jemile Weeks hasn't turned into a solid regular so who knows how good he'll be in 2013. 

In Tampa, they also have a revolving door at 2nd, some Sean-Rod, some Zobrist, no regular guy. In Baltimore, Brian Roberts hasn't played a full season since 09, so I have no idea who they have now. The Twins used mostly Alexi Casilla, the Jays have Bonaficio and Izturis, White Sox played Beckham, who like Weeks hasn't lived up to his potential. While the Tigers and Royals also played a mish mash of guys too, Infante is good, but not better than Kendrick. 

Basically then Kendrick is the 3rd or 4th best regular 2nd baseman in the AL out of 15 teams. 

I can live with that.

he's probably the 6th or 7th best in the league. that's not bad

Well said Ed.  "Expecting" someone to win a batting title is silly.  That's an expectation that shouldn't be placed on any player.  Howie does his share each year.

Thanks, Tom. He does indeed, and he does so willingly and gladly, doing what needs to be done for the team and not the individual.

he's probably the 6th or 7th best in the league. that's not bad

In all of baseball? That seems reasonable. If you are saying he's 6th or 7th best in the AL then I'd love to read who you think is better (other than Cano, Kinsler, and Pedroia)

Nice! I can't play defense because I can't skate very well.

This is my second season playing, but I've got pretty good hands. I definitely need to work on my neutral zone play, LOL

And yeah, we won! I almost got thrown out of the league though because I tried to start a fight lmao.

Don't worry if you're not good. We can't all play sports at an elite level. Just be glad you can scout your way to a nice career

Kendrick is what he is. Better than most second basemen in MLB. I guess we just have to realize that the batting title is not going to happen, but he does what we should expect him to do.

Is his prowess for hitting into the pitchers' best friend frustrating? Absolutely.

But he plays the defense well, and he provides enough at the plate to remind us all of the potential that was foisted upon him, rightly or wrongly. He does what we need him to do, and no team has (or can afford) perennial All-Stars at every position.

Pitchers are less likely to throw as many pitches down and away when Trout is standing on First though.

As a point if fact, pitchers are more concerned with the scouting report on the hitter than the runner at first. Trout may distract them but they'd much rather Trout steal second then Howie hit a double and Mike score. It is simple logic held up by the FB% Hunter was getting month-to-month last year. The logic is this: a runner on second with 1-out is better than a runner on second with a runner scoring and no outs. I know the broadcasts always talk about the two-hole hitter getting a steady diet of fastballs but the stats don't prove that. It is only conjecture and the common delusion. It isn't your fault you said it but hopefully we can spread truth. This is the reason why Howie is better lower in the lineup and not second.

Maybe you should read the context of that quote instead of just randomly picking that out.

i bet you $20 you can't go a week without b*tching about Scioscia or Kendrick.

...you wouldnt have much to discuss here on the board if you didnt bash 'em I suppose....er wait..it's not bashing right, its "holding them accountable"

As a point if fact, pitchers are more concerned with the scouting report on the hitter than the runner at first. Trout may distract them but they'd much rather Trout steal second then Howie hit a double and Mike score. It is simple logic held up by the FB% Hunter was getting month-to-month last year. The logic is this: a runner on second with 1-out is better than a runner on second with a runner scoring and no outs. I know the broadcasts always talk about the two-hole hitter getting a steady diet of fastballs but the stats don't prove that. It is only conjecture and the common delusion. It isn't your fault you said it but hopefully we can spread truth. This is the reason why Howie is better lower in the lineup and not second.

Greg we would all appreciate if you would not submit facts to dispel well established myths. There are certain established criteria for dispelling myths and that is only if it supports Trout getting the MVP over a guy that wins the Triple Crown. Otherwise leave the spirit of the game alone or there will be consequences.

i bet you $20 you can't go a week without b*tching about Scioscia or Kendrick.

...you wouldnt have much to discuss here on the board if you didnt bash 'em I suppose....er wait..it's not bashing right, its "holding them accountable"

Hmmmm, $20? Sure I'll take that bet.

Sorry Angelduck you are banned for a week, I hope you understand.

No. It's a community of Angels fans who love the team, the manager, the coaches in an effort to root on their team through the good times & the tough times.

If you want to spout negativity all the time, use Twitter for that. 

Chuck does this finally mean you are going to ban all the other teams fans that post on this board?

Greg we would all appreciate if you would not submit facts to dispel well established myths. There are certain established criteria for dispelling myths and that is only if it supports Trout getting the MVP over a guy that wins the Triple Crown. Otherwise leave the spirit of the game alone or there will be consequences.

LoL, I've never been good at letting the spirit of anything alone. Myths be warned, I'm coming for you!