• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout WAR update (9/2)

Angelsjunky

Pimp, I agree an offensive catcher is a huge plus. Fjat said, molina here makes us worse. Trout in st lou makes them a WS lock.

Respect your opinion, but the puig is better than trout part is laughable. 'Saved games with his arm' is very arguable. Cost runs with his baserunning, and allowing runners to advance with his choice to air mail throws is not.

Same thing I said about molina, you can say for trout. Trouts fielding and baserunning, (not to mention power), are mofe valuable than puigs arm.

This difference mostly comes from BR using actual results for pitchers, vs FG using expected results. It is essentially FG being more conservative in their pitching/defense accounting. BR will correlate closer to W%, but with greater variance, FG will be more predictive and less prone to strange year to year results. 

For position players I prefer FG, and for pitchers I don't particularly care for either of them. I think BR over values pitchers and FG underrates a large segment of the leagues pitchers.

That's exactly why.    Fangraphs is better for predicting player performances, but baseball reference is better for teams because ERA a lot of the times is vastly affected by defense, which is a constant.

Pimp, I agree an offensive catcher is a huge plus. Fjat said, molina here makes us worse. Trout in st lou makes them a WS lock.

Respect your opinion, but the puig is better than trout part is laughable. 'Saved games with his arm' is very arguable. Cost runs with his baserunning, and allowing runners to advance with his choice to air mail throws is not.

Same thing I said about molina, you can say for trout. Trouts fielding and baserunning, (not to mention power), are mofe valuable than puigs arm.

Molina here makes us worse, really? How do you figure?

Puig is laughable compared to Trout, really ? I realize for some Angel fans it's hard not to be bias but let's not get silly here.

I'm a huge Trout fan ... lets leave it at that

Trout won't catch Cabrera for the batting title unless something truly insane happens, but I just noticed he has an outside chance at passing him for the MLB lead in OBP given the way it's been skyrocketing lately as he gets pitched around.  Trout currently at .432 vs. Cabrera's .449.  

Random observation while looking this up as well -- it's crazy how much offensive stats have creeped downwards the last few years as we distance ourselves from the steroid era.  I was surprised to find only 3 guys with qualifying PAs (Trout, Cabrera, Davis) with a 1.000+ OPS at the moment, one guy (CarGo) at .958, and just 9 others that are .900+.  

I know Troll Daddy's real life identity and he is not an Angels fan. He is just pretending to be one. He is a complete fake. He is really a Dodgers fan in real life who strongly despises the Angels. That is why he trolls Angels message boards while pretending to be an Angels fan.

Molina here makes us worse, really? How do you figure?

Puig is laughable compared to Trout, really ? I realize for some Angel fans it's hard not to be bias but let's not get silly here.

I'm a huge Trout fan ... lets leave it at that

Does molina have anywhere near the bat or running skills as trout? No. Is catcher a more defwnse position? Yes. Is it so much to a point that it renders trouts defense mute? Nope (not to mention trout is playing center...which most would argue is up there with catcher and SS defwnse wise).

And yes, mentioning puig is laughable in comparison. Its got nothing to do with angel fan bias. Rhe stats back it up. So do people who play.

You're the one so prone to yell rbi/runs/home runs. Whatexact category is puig beating him in? You can mention average. Thats blown up by his insane first month. Where did his power go? Is he close on defense? What about baserunning?.....

Trout already scores 32 on Bill James' Hall of Fame Standards Test, with the average Hall of Famer scoring 50.

I like bill James and all, but he's become a fanboy IMO. This year he said albert Pujols was the best first baseman in baseball, and his preseason forecasts are always way too optimistic, especially for "star" established players.

With that said, trout rocks!

Edited by Hollyw00d

Trout won't catch Cabrera for the batting title unless something truly insane happens, but I just noticed he has an outside chance at passing him for the MLB lead in OBP given the way it's been skyrocketing lately as he gets pitched around.  Trout currently at .432 vs. Cabrera's .449.  

Random observation while looking this up as well -- it's crazy how much offensive stats have creeped downwards the last few years as we distance ourselves from the steroid era.  I was surprised to find only 3 guys with qualifying PAs (Trout, Cabrera, Davis) with a 1.000+ OPS at the moment, one guy (CarGo) at .958, and just 9 others that are .900+.  

It's pretty clear that steroids had a strong impact on the competitive level of the sport. With these stats you posted there is something of an indication that the guys running out there every day these days are not as good collectively as the guys that were playing back around 2000. This can be seen by the utter dominance of guys like Trout and Cabrera and simultaneously Kershaw, while the overall numbers for the league skew downward.