• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels try to sign Trout now to a 10 year contract?

Bruce Nye

I think if you're Mike Trout you say  - no.  He has the potential of someone that can break the $30 million/yr. salary.  If he signs a 10/$120 he loses money maybe in his arb. years.

It's more understandable from the Angels perspective.  They want to tie up their superstar for 10 years.

Discuss

Yes, yes, yes, got to get this done!  However, back to reality.

Trout is a true competitor and would want to play for a team built for the playoffs.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel for our Angels.  Hearing that our minor league system is the absolute worse in the MLB, how do you sell that to Trout?  

"Look Mike, we suck this year, but in the years to come we have a strong core of players coming up, and with you leading the way for us as our CENTERFIELDER and as our future hall of famer, we will be solid."

Yeah, wish Dipoto can say that!

Angels have him in club control through the 2017 season. So 4 years of the contract are club controlled with a couple of those in arbitration years. The Angels could present the extension as giving him a lot of money through the club controlled years.

2014 $15m

2015 $16m

2016 $17m

2017 $18m

2018 $20m

2019 $22m

2020 $22m

2021 $25m

2022 $26m (player option)

2023 $29m (player option)

So during the 4 club controlled years he would be paid $66m. That would be more than the current trend of arbitration. The total will be 10 yrs, $210m. This also leaves Trout the ability to leave by the age of 30 and for another big contract. Longoria's extension was $144m deal over 11 years. This would beat that by a good margin.

So Trout can take the risk til 2018 and test free agency (anything can happen in 4 years) or be guaranteed at least $210m for the rest of his life.

If we re-sign him, make him an Angel for the rest of his career and offer a 13-15 year deal

This. I would offer 11-13 years, 200-240 mil. Yes, he will get more if he stays healthy and productive for four more seasons, but there never any guarantees and I think most people wouldn't be so egotistical as to turn down $200 mil+ employment offers.

10/$120M is a joke. As tdawg said, it starts with 10/$200M and really goes up as high as it needs to. I think it ends up being something like 10 years, $200-250 million.

I think that is too much to pay for 10 years. If you are going to offer $200 mil, I think you need 12 years.

Angels have him in club control through the 2017 season. So 4 years of the contract are club controlled with a couple of those in arbitration years. The Angels could present the extension as giving him a lot of money through the club controlled years.

2014 $15m

2015 $16m

2016 $17m

2017 $18m

2018 $20m

2019 $22m

2020 $22m

2021 $25m

2022 $26m (player option)

2023 $29m (player option)

So during the 4 club controlled years he would be paid $66m. That would be more than the current trend of arbitration. The total will be 10 yrs, $210m. This also leaves Trout the ability to leave by the age of 30 and for another big contract. Longoria's extension was $144m deal over 11 years. This would beat that by a good margin.

So Trout can take the risk til 2018 and test free agency (anything can happen in 4 years) or be guaranteed at least $210m for the rest of his life.

This would screw up arbitration for the next 50 years.  

I think if you're Mike Trout you say  - no.  He has the potential of someone that can break the $30 million/yr. salary.  If he signs a 10/$120 he loses money maybe in his arb. years.

It's more understandable from the Angels perspective.  They want to tie up their superstar for 10 years.

Discuss

Hell yes the Angels should try to sign Trout long term.

However, I do not believe 120 million does it.  It should be closer to 170 to 180 million.  

Yea, maybe in four more years he might break 30 million a year.  However, a lot can happen in four years.   I am certain four years ago Kendrys Morales felt he was going to be a big contract guy too.  Trout's incentive to sign the big contract is to get your first big payday earlier and avoid arbitration.  Now its likely that he can earn close 40 million in arbitration money his last three years alone.  So that would leave only 80 million for the last six years?  That is way too low.  In my scenario Trout would receive 130 million the last six years.  That is more than fair.

Yup. Just because they offer doesn't mean he'll accept. Maybe he wants to take it year by year and get what should be historical amounts through arbitration and hit free agency when he's 26/27 or whatever he'll be. That's just the money side of it

He is not that dumb!

You guys who think that Trout would want to wait for FA obviously believe injury is not a possibility.  Yes, know it may not be likely but it is seriously possible.  So much so you can't possibly leave a big contract on the table and wait!

10/$120M is a joke. As tdawg said, it starts with 10/$200M and really goes up as high as it needs to. I think it ends up being something like 10 years, $200-250 million.

considering Trout will likely only make 40 million over the next four years  you are suggesting that we pay Mike an addition 160 million for the for the next six years?  

180 million is more than fair and would probably get it done.

I would wait another year... there's no rush as he isn't going anywhere soon. Throw him a bone and pat him on the back while you're telling him good job son.

Don't understand why you what him to get too comfortable so soon in his career. Plenty of time to make him a mega offer.

waiting a year only diminishes the incentive for Trout to resign.  Plus it takes away his last year of club control contract.  In other words you give away the biggest incentive to resign.