• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels try to sign Trout now to a 10 year contract?

Bruce Nye

I hope Arte is willing to shell out some serious cash the next few years. If we re-sign Trout to a mega-contract this offseason, we're going to be on the books for 5 very large contracts. Consider this: In 2016, Wilson, Weaver, Hamilton, and Pujols will combine to make $97M. That's only FOUR players. By 2016, Trout will likely be making somewhere between 20-30 million per season. Let's just say for fun, that Trout will make 22 million in 2016. That would mean that Weaver, Wilson, Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton will combine to make $119M in 2016. 5 players making that much money is insane. That's only 1/5 of our roster. Our payroll will likely have to be over $200M if Arte wants to keep Trout, and field a competitive team. That's reality - and it doesn't look good at all. The Hamilton, and Pujols contracts are disgusting. Hamilton will be making $32M in his 35 and 36 year old seasons. Arte made huge mistakes, and he might be forced to spend his way out of it. Our payroll is going to shoot up the next 3 years if Arte wants this team to be competitive - it has to.

Who in their right mind says no the OP's question?

"No we shouldn't try and sign the best player in baseball that is 22 years old to a ten year contract".

Strad, I probably didn't word that quite right.  Of course, the Angels should try to sign him, but for how long.  I think Trout turns down a 10 year deal knowing that if he can put up stats like these, he will be turning down monster bucks.  Rather, I like "Angels" post of 8/$160 because younger than 30 he could still get a huge deal.

Also, we are all in love with the guy, but ten years is a long, long time as the team is beginning to see with Pujols.

@firethemall,

The payroll likely will reach close to 200 by 2016. Its not a huge deal because were about to recieve a huge bump in revenue from the media deal. (It alone will pay 150 a Year vs the 50 a year now).

Second, weaver and wilson will be in the final year of contract then, with only one left of hamilton after (and I'd bet my savings pujols is gone not long after).

The farm is a real concern. The money, at this point, isn't.

too early, imo

Why too early? The better teams lock players up early. Rays and longoria, pirate and mccutcheon, etc.

Only the Angels wait until a player is a free agent and more than 32 to lock players up to 10 year deals.

I guess Trout is going to have to wait until after his next mega contract with the Yankees expires when he is 37 to get a massive deal from the Angels organization.

too early, imo

normally, I'm that kind of thinker too. That said, given his talent and age, and the fact he only seems to get better, you have to do it.

I see him going forward as a perrenial batting champ (not saying he gets it, but in the running for the next seceral years), on base machine, with 20+ home runs and 30ish steals. Add to that stellar defense.

Given how much offense has come to earth, getting a year in year out 25 home run guy with a .320 average, game changing speed, all from CF...that's worth locking up. And the longer they wait, the longer the zeros at the end of the check become.

Like YOT said above, the new name of the game is locking up young stars. With steroids gone, the days of getting solid players every winter are gone. The badasses get locked up before ever reaching FA.

Think of the nolan ryan story, about replacing him with two guys with 8 wins. If he leaves, that will be us....having to get two guys that put up his numbers...which with his numbers would be very expensive, more than he alone would make.

Do 8/160. Gives him the chance to get another contract at 30 and pays him well through his prime. Can work it so his years pick up once Hamilton's is over.

And this still gives him enough time to go into the HOF as a Yankee.

What happens if we fail to sign Trout this offseason then he goes ahead and hits .360 next year with an OBP of .450+ and an 11-12 WAR (if defense metrics liked him this season he'd most likely finish with an 11.5 fWAR this year). The negotiations only get harder. We have our reassurance that he's the real deal, it's now or never.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

What happens if we fail to sign Trout this offseason then he goes ahead and hits .360 next year with an OBP of .450+ and an 11-12 WAR (if defense metrics liked him this season he'd most likely finish with an 11.5 fWAR this year). The negotiations only get harder. We have our reassurance that he's the real deal, it's now or never.

No it isn't.