• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Trumbo? Are y'all nuts?!?

Rays could use a 1B and they are contending. No reason to speculate what they can get from teams, all I know is that they probably are better off dealing Trumbo for some pitching help if it's out there. Offense will still be fine and they need serious help with pitching and pitching depth

Yup! :)

But yeah, since I'm not apart of the Angels front office, I have no idea what offers came in for those two players.

If I'm the GM, I trade them for prospects. Pitching prospects. I can pick out a number of pitching prospects from any organization, since I follow the minor leagues very, very closely. I think our best trade partner for those players would be the Mets. My target pitchers would be Noah Syndergaard as the main piece, with Luis Cessa and Erick Goeddel as the complimentary spects.

Yep. I've been saying Syndergaard for Trumbo

If trumbos value is truly enough to get a club controlled #3 starter of similar age/eligibility then I'm all for it. It has to be someone already contributing at the major league level. Problem is, there are probably very few if any teams with said pitcher who would be willing to give them up for a hitter.

Seattle did last offseason.

Did somebody seriously cite RBIs as a demonstration of talent? Wow. Somebody should inform the poster the Earth is not flat, the Sun does not revolve around the Earth and that we are genetically related to all life on Earth, including chimps.

Ahhh, the dreaded RBI, if no player was responsible for them then all pitchers would have an ERA of zero.

But if we remove the RBI from evaluating a MOTO bat why do we put any value on that player? After all the point of the game is to score more runs than the opponent so there has to be some tangible value for a guy that seems to find a way to push a runner in scoring position across the plate.

Unfortunately for Trumbo his value doing just that is squat. With runners on base he is hitting .217 with a .681 OPS. With runners in scoring position .216 with a .645 OPS. That means he sucks at generating the one redeeming value of keeping him in the lineup and that is offense.

But you are right, RBIs are a false stat but only in a false theory of how baseball games are won.

Ahhh, the dreaded RBI, if no player was responsible for them then all pitchers would have an ERA of zero.

But if we remove the RBI from evaluating a MOTO bat why do we put any value on that player? After all the point of the game is to score more runs than the opponent so there has to be some tangible value for a guy that seems to find a way to push a runner in scoring position across the plate.

Unfortunately for Trumbo his value doing just that is squat. With runners on base he is hitting .217 with a .681 OPS. With runners in scoring position .216 with a .645 OPS. That means he sucks at generating the one redeeming value of keeping him in the lineup and that is offense.

But you are right, RBIs are a false stat but only in a false theory of how baseball games are won.

Ahhh, the dreaded win, if no pitcher was responsible for them then all teams would have a win total of zero.

The point is to remove as much circumstantial and extraneous statistical data from an individual player's performance as possible.  The very definition of an RBI is that it's dependent on what the players hitting in front of you are doing.  Would Cabrera be on a 160+ RBI pace on the Marlins?  This is why stats like ISO, wRC+, WAR, OBP and etc. have been seeing more light of day.  The same way a 4.50 ERA pitcher can get 15+ wins if pitching for a great offensive team, or a middle reliever can pick up a win in specific circumstances. 

RBI's are a byproduct of being a good hitter, since good hitters tend to hit in run-producing lineup slots.  Trout barely cracked the top 50 in RBI's last year but was far and away the best individual player in baseball.  They aren't a false stat, they just aren't a particularly valuable stat.

How about a change of scenary type of trade involving one player from each team?

Trumbo for Headley, and maybe throw in one 8-10 prospect to SD?

Headley's value is down from where it was a year ago.   Plus, doesn't SD have a 3B in waiting?

While it is true that Trumbo could always pull a Chris Davis, he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere nears there at this point.   Plus once Calhoun is with the team for good, Trumbo may be nudged out any way as that would mean Trout, Bourjos, Calhoun, and Hamilton for the 4 OF/DH spots plus Pujols at 1B. 

How about a change of scenary type of trade involving one player from each team?

Trumbo for Headley, and maybe throw in one 8-10 prospect to SD?

Headley's value is down from where it was a year ago.   Plus, doesn't SD have a 3B in waiting?

While it is true that Trumbo could always pull a Chris Davis, he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere nears there at this point.   Plus once Calhoun is with the team for good, Trumbo may be nudged out any way as that would mean Trout, Bourjos, Calhoun, and Hamilton for the 4 OF/DH spots plus Pujols at 1B. 

Yonder Alonso is a much better 1B than Trumbo.

Yonder Alonso is a much better 1B than Trumbo.

Defensively yes, but the bat hasn't really developed power wise (only 13 XBHs so far in 210 at bats), aside from 39 doubles in 2012.   Only because of his BA and walks has he put up even a low .700s OPS since 2012.

Think Efren Navarro.

I don't know whether to laugh at your post or feel sorry for how you perceive success in baseball. Trumbo has sucked for the past 6 months.

Any who, the one thing I'm REALLY scared about is that we end up trading Trumbo like Texas traded Davis, and then he finally learns some plate discipline and goes bizerk. Trumbo probably has more power than Davis and better plate coverage, so if he does end up learning some discipline (and we've seen how good he can be when he actually does), it could end up being another ''why did we trade him'' situation.

I'm just looking at his basic run production (runs scored + rbi) and trying to put his offensive contributions into better perspective.  With the exception of July, he's been top 2 every month (on the Angels) in runs scored + rbi.

"Trumbo has sucked for the past 6 months."  Your perception of Trumbo is even more ridiculous than what you believe mine to be.

He's just underappreciated by too many on this board.

I'm just looking at his basic run production (runs scored + rbi) and trying to put his offensive contributions into better perspective.  With the exception of July, he's been top 2 every month (on the Angels) in runs scored + rbi.

"Trumbo has sucked for the past 6 months."  Your perception of Trumbo is even more ridiculous than what you believe mine to be.

He's just underappreciated by too many on this board.

On a team with two underwhelming sluggers in the lineup (Pujols, Hamilton), that's not impressive. Trumbo is basically the 5th best option (when Pujols isn't injured and Hamilton is on track). The 5th best option in a lineup is a tradeable piece in my opinion.