• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So umm.. thoughts on Jerry Dipoto

NrM

I'm sure we all thought Reagins was a pretty solid GM after a year and a half, and look where he be now. I'm going to give JD a least another year before I begin to form an opinion on whether or not he's the "worst GM in the league". Sure some of his moves haven't worked out, but no GM is perfect. Mark is right, Frieri and Vargas have been solid deals. Where would the team have been last year without Frieri in the pen? Or this year without Vargas stepping it up in Weavers absence?

He gets another year but damn he was awful this past offseason. Deciding to spend $125 mill on another hitter was stupid...especially with one showing serious red flags in his game during the 2nd half. The walden for Hanson trade stunk, he didn't fix the bullpen at all, and the most worrisome one was him signing Blanton to a 2yr/$15 mill deal. That deal alone makes me worry about what in the hell this FO is looking at when evaluating players. I've definitely soured on Dipoto after this past year.

I agree with the Vargas and Frieri deals being good and also I'm still a fan of the Wilson deal. He's been pitching great lately and we good a decent deal compared to what other starters like him are getting nowadays. The Walden-Hanson trade wasn't that bad since we all knew it was a gamble and I thought it was one worth taking. I wasn't a fan of the Grienke deal like most. I'm also not blaming him for the Pujols and Hamilton deals since that was mainly Arte and who knew Pujols would have all of these issues he's having and maybe Hamilton is getting it together. The one thing he did to screw up big time was the Blanton deal. I mean, I liked the Hanson deal since I thought he's de out #5 and if we didn't get Greinke back then at the very least we get McCarthy or something but by having but Hanson and Blanton you had a question mark who had been dealing with injuries the past few years as well as a pitcher who has never been good throughout his career. There is still time to right the ship but he better hurry!

Vargas?

You're reaching here, this guy has spent 50% of the year the DL.  And he has had only 1 good month out of the 3 he has actually pitched.  He might not even pitch again this year.  I would rather have a guy who can pitch the entire season but if your satisfied thats cool.

Vargas trade stinks, Hanson trade stinks, Greinke trade stunk, Madson, Blanton, and Burnett signings stink.....nothing he did was good except getting Mr. Erratic fastball as closer.   He's been a very bad GM, and you're completely blind if you think otherwise.

Vargas

CJ Wilson

DDLR

Coello

Frieri

Kendrick and Aybar extensions

Getting somebody to take Mathis

Getting somebody to pay for some of Vernon Wells

Getting Pujols and Hamilton even though they haven't worked out

Getting rid of the head case Santana. I don't care what type of year he is having

Getting rid of Haren

He got rid of All Star Jean Segura (hitting .325)

He got rid of the team leader and All Star Torii Hunter (hitting .315)

He signed Blanton.

He signed Madson.

He signed Burnett.

He signed Lowe.

He extended and overpaid for Aybar.

He overpaid Pujols and Hamilton.

He traded Chatwood (2.56 era) for Iannetta (hitting .211 & 10% CS)

He's been given the benefit of a rather large payroll and failed.

Arizona doesn't miss Jerry Dipoto.

None of Tony Reagins teams ever trailed Oakland by 11 games.

Both Reagins and JeDi have been underwhelming. That plus Arte being cheap with the wrong players (never going after Far East players, virtually ignoring Latin America for several years, and not offering enough to sign draft pick Harvey) and throwing money at the wrong players = org down the tubes for the next 3-4 years?

The bloom is definitely off the Dipoto rose.  As tdawg mentioned in another thread, some of his stuff I can defend but the Blanton signing...wow.  Wow.  Horrible from the moment it was inked.

We had a saying in the Navy: one "ah shit!" wipes out 20 "attaboys!"  Blanton is a huge "ah shit."

Don't forget the Invisible Man, Tommy Hanson.

At the time, I was OK with it.  It seemed like Walden wasn't gonna be anything with us and we needed starting pitching.  With hindsight though, it's pretty bad. 

There's nothing stealth about giving up Segura for a rental. Milwaukee says thank you.

There's nothing stealth about giving up Morales for Vargas. Morales has played solid for the M's.

There's nothing stealth about giving C J Wilson more money than anyone else.

There's nothing stealth about giving up Amarista and Roach for Frieri.

Why sign Madson if Frieri was worth giving up on two solid propects.