• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon ‘loves’ the opportunity to hit leadoff

19 minutes ago, Tank said:

great idea, but i doubt the phillies fans want to travel all the way to anaheim to cheer for rendon.

Very funny!

This would never happen with Angel fans.  Our fans are too apathetic.  We don't even vote deserving players into the All-Star game.  Plus - word would never get out to the fans.  Our radio source is Roger Lodge and I doubt many fans listen to him.

14 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

This needs to be printed on a big poster board, and then walked around the stadium on full display for Friday nights home game.

Yep so we can celebrate the roided up guy on a team in our division. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We no longer have a choice. It’s either the giant poster or we write Redon a strongly worded letter regarding our displeasure with his performance. 

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

We no longer have a choice. It’s either the giant poster or we write Redon a strongly worded letter regarding our displeasure with his performance. 

I am by no means a Rendon sympathizer, as a matter of fact, I’m the polar opposite.  But I’m pretty sure Rendon knows how shitty he’s been so far this season.

Maybe HE needs to tell his coach that the lead off spot is not where he’s comfortable hitting at?  Hell, I don’t know what spot that would be, but 0-18 so far is not a great spot for him in the line up.

Maybe flip him and Neto?  I don’t know.  

Edited by PattyD22

We're stuck with him, like it or not. He's being paid the same regardless of his production. Nothing as radical as DFAing him is likely. So far he's not injured, so can't just be forgotten. 

He's not been used much as a pinch hitter or platoon player and doesn't have the skills anymore to be a defensive replacement. 

So it's the starting lineup  (DH or third base alternatives) or the bench. 

As a bench player he would get minimal at bats and playing time. Maybe platoon situationally. And with reduction in at bats it will be harder for him to find his form. Not to mention probably hurt Rendon's ego and confidence.

It seems Washington has few options. Keeping him in the lineup regularly with some days off may be the most realistic way forward. And dropped towards the bottom of the batting order.  And hope he finally gets in sync. But if he hurts the team indefinitely then Washington will have heavy pressure to put his best lineup on the field, regardless of hurt feelings.

Maybe Rendon also needs to  work more intensively with the coaches. Perhaps they can correct some flaws, though that will take time. 

Home fans probably should at least go through the motions of showing support because it would help the team more than stoking the fires of dissension. 

1 hour ago, mmc said:

image.png

This is probably the best thing that we, as Angels fans, can do.  Rendon knows he’s not contributing right now, Wash feels that he brings something positive to the team, so for as long as the team is winning, they can carry his lack of success.  

Just a comp from ancient baseball history, but Willie Mays was 0 for his first 20 mlb at bats, and he turned out OK.  That last part was in hopes of making some of you laugh.

32 minutes ago, Redondo said:

BA .000

OBP .050

SLG .000

Oof

I went to the game yesterday, he looks about 10-15+ pounds lighter than in the past.  Also, not sure if it's because of the time he missed in ST and his timing is off still but he looked better swinging with each at bat.  I came home to check the actual predictive stuff and his exit velocities increased as the night went on -- he's sitting at 88 MPH on the season now.  Still want to see it get to his career norms but at least it's not sitting at 83 like it was after the first two games.

Also there is this from yesterday's game

image.png

And this...

image.png
image.png

He's had four at bats where the expected batting average was .470 or higher the last two games.  So there are at least signs of life there, hopefully.

Personally since he's not walking a lot he's probably better served at the bottom of the lineup than the top, even if he is seeing a ton of pitches. His swing data is actually arguing that he's taking too many pitches and not swinging enough. His swings at pitches in the zone are down but his contacts rates are in line with his career norms, so leading off may be working against him. Hopefully getting as many at bats as possible will help if it's a timing thing.

Also, being able to see directly into the Angels dugout, Rendon was one of the more animated guys in there, he was constantly up and hyping others --ditto Adell.  So for those of you that have convinced yourself he's an awful teammate -- it didn't look like it from the way the other players interacted with him.

I really hope Adell breaks through this year.  

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

While I find the nickname some have given him of "Anabolis Garcia" to be hilarious, the pictures floating around of him showing crazy size gains and a huge head seem to be photoshopped -- unless the dude erased all his tats over the winter too.

All I know is that eating congri and lechon asado will put some muscle on you.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

While I find the nickname some have given him of "Anabolis Garcia" to be hilarious, the pictures floating around of him showing crazy size gains and a huge head seem to be photoshopped -- unless the dude erased all his tats over the winter too.

All I know is that eating congri and lechon asado will put some muscle on you.

I know those pics are photoshopped but he still looks roided up. 

58 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Did you move back or just visiting?

Ive had homes on both coasts since 2010 or so.  Miami is primary residence because of my Mom -- healthcare system in FL is world better than CA when it comes to the elderly.  She's starting showing that mental decline that comes with old age and I don't want to be 3K miles away should something happen.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I went to the game yesterday, he looks about 10-15+ pounds lighter than in the past.  Also, not sure if it's because of the time he missed in ST and his timing is off still but he looked better swinging with each at bat.  I came home to check the actual predictive stuff and his exit velocities increased as the night went on -- he's sitting at 88 MPH on the season now.  Still want to see it get to his career norms but at least it's not sitting at 83 like it was after the first two games.

Also there is this from yesterday's game

image.png

And this...

image.png
image.png

He's had four at bats where the expected batting average was .470 or higher the last two games.  So there are at least signs of life there, hopefully.

Personally since he's not walking a lot he's probably better served at the bottom of the lineup than the top, even if he is seeing a ton of pitches. His swing data is actually arguing that he's taking too many pitches and not swinging enough. His swings at pitches in the zone are down but his contacts rates are in line with his career norms, so leading off may be working against him. Hopefully getting as many at bats as possible will help if it's a timing thing.

Also, being able to see directly into the Angels dugout, Rendon was one of the more animated guys in there, he was constantly up and hyping others --ditto Adell.  So for those of you that have convinced yourself he's an awful teammate -- it didn't look like it from the way the other players interacted with him.

I really hope Adell breaks through this year.  

New segment.

IP has to go to one game a series and do a write up. 

17 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

New segment.

IP has to go to one game a series and do a write up. 

I don't think we will need to wait very long to see if Rendon's washed.  Player's can't really hide when they lose their lower bodies. He's not looking all upper body like last season, but he's also not loading up and letting it rip like he used to -- mostly he looks like he needs to get stronger..  

I saw someone say that his bat looked slow either here or in the game thread, not sure what player they are looking at. The at bat where the kid on the baseline made the play on Rendon waited on the pitch forever and still almost got it.  That wasn't a case of him getting started and the bat not cooperating he got to the ball really quick.  Bat speed doesn't appear to be the issue, but I really want to see him start to load more.  

Side note and all small sample size comments apply -- Nolan may have spent the winter getting stronger but his exit velocity is down.  I think people are going to need to be patient with him and allow for the power to come naturally and not wait for him to become a weight room junkie.  Guys don't hit a certain way their entire lives then bam flip a switch and become power hitters.

I am perfectly happy with Nolan's development as it takes place before our eyes. It is still great seeing a guy with such good pitch recognition become better at the game, I wish the umpires were as good. He is going to get the rep like Hornsby; Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Schanuel will let you know.