• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Anthony Rendon ‘loves’ the opportunity to hit leadoff

BALTIMORE — Anthony Rendon has come to grips with manager Ron Washington giving him new role as the Angels’ leadoff hitter.

“I love it,” the Angels third baseman said before the second game of the season, on Saturday. “I’m up for anything. I trust Wash. I trust this whole staff and anything that puts us in the best position to win. I’m all for it. I think we all are on the same page, all of our guys up and down the order.”

Rendon, 33, had not hit leadoff in a big-league game since 2015. For most of his career, he’s been a middle-of-the-order run producer. With the current Angels lineup, though, Washington is using Rendon at the top because of his ability to see a lot of pitches and get on base.

Rendon said he’s not going to change anything about his normal approach.

“For me, it’s still just trying to control the zone,” he said. “You’re technically the leadoff hitter just once a game unless the order comes up like that again. But the situation will always dictate how you’re going to approach it.”

Rendon said he isn’t sure how long Washington will keep him in the leadoff spot.

“We’re only a few games in, so we’ll ride it out,” he said. “This game is all about adjustments … If it works out, it works out. If not, then we can change it up again.”

Of course, the larger question with Rendon is how much he will be in the lineup at all. He’s missed most of the past three seasons with injuries. He said at the moment he’s still feeling “good.” Although the Angels are expected to give him regular days off to keep him healthy, Rendon said he’s not sure of the specifics. The Angels had an off day Friday and have another Thursday.

“I think we’ll just play it by ear and see how the body’s feeling,” Rendon said.

TRY AGAIN

Washington used the exact same lineup Saturday as he did in the blowout loss in the opener Thursday, meaning veterans Aaron Hicks and Miguel Sanó were playing while young players Mickey Moniak and Jo Adell were on the bench.

Washington said it’s too early for anyone to be concerned that Moniak and Adell won’t get opportunities.

“Second day of the season,” Washington said. “I put the first lineup out there because I thought it was my best lineup, and I still think it’s my best lineup. Second game of the season. As we move forward, we’ll start to maneuver the lineup.”

STEPHENSON UPDATE

Right-hander Robert Stephenson, who is on the injured list because of shoulder inflammation, threw a bullpen session on the off day Friday. He threw about 20 pitches.

“I’m really happy with how it went,” Stephenson said. “It felt great. I’m really encouraged by yesterday.”

Stephenson will throw another bullpen session Monday in Miami. Because Stephenson was hurt before he could pitch in a single spring training game, he will still need to go to the minors to get some work before he can be activated. Stephenson said he hoped to be back “by the end of the month.”

NOTES

The Angels held a full-squad workout on the off day Friday. It’s almost unheard of for a major-league team to have that kind of workout on an off day. Washington said it was not a reaction to how poorly the Angels played in losing their opener Thursday. “It was planned whether we would have come out on the best end of that game the other day, or we lost it like we did,” Washington said. “I got a young group and we’ve got to keep them moving and keep them going and keep them engaged.” …

The Angels signed left-hander Amir Garrett to a minor-league deal and assigned him to Triple-A. Garrett, 31, has pitched parts of seven years in the majors, including a 3.33 ERA with the Kansas City Royals last season. He was released by the San Francisco Giants at the end of spring training. General manager Perry Minasian said they felt Garrett’s résumé warranted giving him a shot. “The stuff is still there,” Minasian said. “The command is spotty. We’ll give him a chance to go to Salt Lake and see what he does.” …

Right-hander Kelvin Caceres was placed on the minor league 60-day injured list with a lat injury, Minasian said. It’s noteworthy because it gives the Angels the option to move him to the major league 60-day injured list the next time they need to open a spot on the 40-man roster.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Reid Detmers, 4-10, 4.48 ERA in 2023) at Orioles (RHP Tyler Wells, 7-6, 3.64 2023) at Oriole Park, 10:35 a.m. PT Sunday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM.

View the full article

Today he put two deep into both corner fields but not out of reach. I think eventually he'll get a few of those to drop for doubles. He did go four plate appearances without striking out so he is seeing the ball well enough to make contact. Washington just can't putting him leadoff if that contact doesn't start finding holes.

Rendon is doing his thing. I’m not worried. Every year it’s:

He starts excruciatingly slow while still having a decent OBP. Then he gets hot and gives us all hope. Then he gets hurt.

59 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

Rendon is doing his thing. I’m not worried. Every year it’s:

He starts excruciatingly slow while still having a decent OBP. Then he gets hot and gives us all hope. Then he gets hurt.

Yep. As soon as he starts heating up, an injury is just around the corner.

8 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

God I hope the crowd at Angel Stadium boos this turd every time he comes up to the plate. If I was able to be there, I know I would.

What if we all gave him a massive standing ovation? I think that would embarrass him more.

10 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

God I hope the crowd at Angel Stadium boos this turd every time he comes up to the plate. If I was able to be there, I know I would.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

What if we all gave him a massive standing ovation? I think that would embarrass him more.

Me and my family will be there.  What should we do?  I’m torn.  Boo or stand?  Let me know before Friday.

10 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Me and my family will be there.  What should we do?  I’m torn.  Boo or stand?  Let me know before Friday.

Phillies fans gave Trey Turner a standing ovation when he struggled last year and he responded by playing better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/04/trea-turner-ovation-phillies/

On 3/31/2024 at 10:45 PM, Blarg said:

Today he put two deep into both corner fields but not out of reach. I think eventually he'll get a few of those to drop for doubles. He did go four plate appearances without striking out so he is seeing the ball well enough to make contact. Washington just can't putting him leadoff if that contact doesn't start finding holes.

Sample size is tiny but his average exit velocity has been way down.  it's actually gone up with every game but he's still sitting at 85.7.  I know he missed time in ST so maybe he's a bit behind but he's toast if he can't get it above 87 at minimum.  Aaron Hicks is at 84.3..  Only reason I'm bringing it up is the guy he's blocking (Adell), is sporting an average exit velocity of 96.5.

They really need to give Adell at bats while he's seeing the ball and making contact.  Plus it's become pretty clear he's become an asset on the bases.

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Sample size is tiny but his average exit velocity has been way down.  it's actually gone up with every game but he's still sitting at 85.7.  I know he missed time in ST so maybe he's a bit behind but he's toast if he can't get it above 87 at minimum.  Aaron Hicks is at 84.3..  Only reason I'm bringing it up is the guy he's blocking (Adell), is sporting an average exit velocity of 96.5.

They really need to give Adell at bats while he's seeing the ball and making contact.  Plus it's become pretty clear he's become an asset on the bases.

Adell should be in the starting lineup at least 2 out of 3 games either in the OF or DH. This is pretty much the year to decide whether Adell is worth keeping or cutting bait on. The fact he's hitting the ball hard should be even more of a reason to find ways to keep him in the lineup.

4 hours ago, T.G. said:

Phillies fans gave Trey Turner a standing ovation when he struggled last year and he responded by playing better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/04/trea-turner-ovation-phillies/

great idea, but i doubt the phillies fans want to travel all the way to anaheim to cheer for rendon.