• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: What do the Angels need to add to their roster for 2024?

Typically, the Angels general manager addresses the media the day after the season to begin discussing what’s ahead in the offseason.

As of Monday morning, there was still no word on when that was going to happen, creating the assumption that we are waiting for news on the status of Perry Minasian, who has one year left on his contract.

Manager Phil Nevin is also in limbo, with his contract expiring.

In the meantime, it’s not too difficult to begin an analysis of where the Angels roster stands, even without knowing who is going to be building it this winter.

The big domino, of course, is Shohei Ohtani, who is set to become a free agent. If the Angels are going to sign him, it will be a massive chunk of their 2024 payroll, perhaps as much as $50 million.

Without Ohtani, though, the Angels have seven players signed for a total of just under $110 million — in terms of average annual values, which is how the luxury tax is calculated. Outfielder Mike Trout leads the way at $35.5 million, followed by third baseman Anthony Rendon ($35M), left-hander Tyler Anderson ($13M), infielder Brandon Drury ($8.5M), right-hander Carlos Estévez ($6.75M), catcher Max Stassi ($5.83M) and infielder David Fletcher ($5.2M).

They have another 13 players who are arbitration eligible, with a total salary of about $25 million. It’s likely that several of those — most notably first baseman Jared Walsh — will be non-tendered, so the total of their salaries could be more like $20 million.

That puts the Angels at around $130 million, with about another $22 million due for pre-arbitration players, minor league salaries of 40-man roster players, benefits and the pre-arbitration bonus pool.

All of that brings the current total to around $152 million, with the luxury tax threshold for next year at $237 million.

The Angels were prepared to exceed the luxury tax in 2023 when they thought they were making a playoff run. Then they tried to get back under the threshold once those hopes were gone, so it remains to be seen whether owner Arte Moreno will want to cross the line in 2024.

It’s still uncertain whether the Angels finished above or below the threshold in 2023. If they were above, the penalties would be higher for exceeding the threshold in 2024.

With all of that out of the way, this is a look at who the Angels have on the depth chart. For now, we’re only considering players who have shown something in the big leagues, rather than trying to predict what someone like infielder Kyren Paris might become in 2024.

CATCHER

Logan O’Hoppe is the starter, and the Angels seem content with Matt Thaiss as a backup. Stassi is a wild card. He missed the season with an injury and a family emergency, so it’s unclear whether he’ll even be an option for 2024. The Angels missed his veteran presence with pitch calling this year, so they’d probably welcome Stassi back if he’s ready to play.

If the Angels are going to add anyone to this mix, it would have to be a low-cost veteran known for his work with pitchers. Austin Hedges, an Orange County product, would be the perfect fit.

INFIELD

Zach Neto is the shortstop and nothing else is certain. If Rendon is healthy, he plays third, but he could also get a lot of DH time if Ohtani is gone. Drury can play first, second or third. Nolan Schanuel has shown enough to get the first crack at being the everyday first baseman. The Angels also have Luis Rengifo and Fletcher, who can each play second, third and shortstop.

It doesn’t take much to knock two or three names off that list with injuries or poor performance, though, so the Angels will always be looking for more depth. They won’t be looking for someone who only plays shortstop and probably not a first baseman, but any multi-position infielder could be useful.

OUTFIELD

The Angels have Taylor Ward, Mickey Moniak and Jo Adell to play alongside Trout. Adell and Moniak are both going to be out of options next season.

Another outfielder would help cover the Angels, since all four of those players were hurt this year, and Adell still hasn’t had any consistent success in the big leagues.

STARTING ROTATION

Left-handers Patrick Sandoval, Reid Detmers and Anderson, and right-handers Griffin Canning and Chase Silseth are the top five.

There’s plenty of potential and youth in that group. Anderson will be 34, but the rest are 28 or younger. Detmers and Silseth — the two with the best pure stuff and upside — are 24 and 23, respectively.

All that aside, that rotation did not do well in 2023, so the Angels could use some insurance. Top starting pitchers are expensive and still risky, and this year’s free agent market is particularly thin.

BULLPEN

Estevez is signed, and coming off an overall good year, even though he finished poorly.

After him, the depth chart may as well be blank. Right-handers José Soriano and Ben Joyce both looked like they could be high-leverage relievers, but they still haven’t pitched enough for the Angels to have any idea if they can count on them in 2024.

Pitchers like Andrew Wantz, Jimmy Herget, Jaime Barría and José Suarez (now a reliever) were all good in 2022, but not as good in 2023, so who knows what the future holds. Sam Bachman showed some flashes, but he’s been injured for half the season.

It’s safe to say the Angels bullpen needs a lot of work this winter.

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

José Suarez (now a reliever) were all good in 2022, but not as good in 2023, so who knows what the future holds. 

Is this a permanent thing? I know he finished the season in the pen and he was awful in the rotation at the start of the season, but has Suarez or the team said he’s done starting now?

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

Starting pitching.  Starting pitching, and more starting pitching.  I'd also be in on Bellinger, as a FA, and I'd try to acquire Brett Baty from the Mets. 

Who are you giving up to get Baty?

Detmers?

The Giolito experience  (and Anderson to some degree) could be a warning sign about signing a veteran pitcher in free agency. None this off season are particularly impressive. But they do need another starter. Maybe a cost effective  trade or signing for an under the radar guy with some experience and potential. The need someone who will be part of the longer term future. So not older than 27 or so. The young guys will have to take another step and be more consistent.

I'd place my faith that some of the new young pitchers take a positive step. Let them work it out. Too soon to differentiate between them. Estevez has earned another shot as closer. One or two mid relief veterans could be added.

Everywhere else there are issues. But every team also wants to upgrade and improve. 

Rendon I is the key to the infield. If he actually reverts closer to his past form (a big if) then it frees Drury, Rengifo and anyone else from having to fill third. Those two are versatile and can be moved around more strategically. Schanuel seems likely the starter at first. Neto at short. Second could be any of the others. 

But can Rendon still play third on a regular basis or is he DH bound? That's important. He was signed for his two way play. But didn't show much defensively in his last spell in the field. DH may be a new problem without Ohtani. Someone has to make up some of the loss of his production. DH is purely a position for offense. Wasting a good fielder there is counter productive. 

Moustakas looked like an easy option for a time but I doubt he can be depended on anymore. But it shouldn't be hard to find someone like him. 

Catcher is really critical too. Especially with a young regular. Someone like Maldonado would be perfect as a backup and mentor. But I doubt he's available. Wallach just isn't good enough. Thaiss will be a year removed from playing but probably is still the obvious option. 

Outfield depends on Trout's availability and form. If he can play 130 plus games at a high enough level then there are options with the other guys competing to start at the other spots. Moniak should be given a long look. Adell too if he has a hot spring and shows consistency in the exhibition season. But this is his make or break season contractually. 

21 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The Giolito experience  (and Anderson to some degree) could be a warning sign about signing a veteran pitcher in free agency. None this off season are particularly impressive. But they do need another starter. Maybe a cost effective  trade or signing for an under the radar guy with some experience and potential. The need someone who will be part of the longer term future. So not older than 27 or so. The young guys will have to take another step and be more consistent.

I'd place my faith that some of the new young pitchers take a positive step. Let them work it out. Too soon to differentiate between them. Estevez has earned another shot as closer. One or two mid relief veterans could be added.

Everywhere else there are issues. But every team also wants to upgrade and improve. 

Rendon I is the key to the infield. If he actually reverts closer to his past form (a big if) then it frees Drury, Rengifo and anyone else from having to fill third. Those two are versatile and can be moved around more strategically. Schanuel seems likely the starter at first. Neto at short. Second could be any of the others. 

But can Rendon still play third on a regular basis or is he DH bound? That's important. He was signed for his two way play. But didn't show much defensively in his last spell in the field. DH may be a new problem without Ohtani. Someone has to make up some of the loss of his production. DH is purely a position for offense. Wasting a good fielder there is counter productive. 

Moustakas looked like an easy option for a time but I doubt he can be depended on anymore. But it shouldn't be hard to find someone like him. 

Catcher is really critical too. Especially with a young regular. Someone like Maldonado would be perfect as a backup and mentor. But I doubt he's available. Wallach just isn't good enough. Thaiss will be a year removed from playing but probably is still the obvious option. 

Outfield depends on Trout's availability and form. If he can play 130 plus games at a high enough level then there are options with the other guys competing to start at the other spots. Moniak should be given a long look. Adell too if he has a hot spring and shows consistency in the exhibition season. But this is his make or break season contractually. 

This team will not be in running for a playoff spot in 2024. Many young players still need to develop. SP I sign a Lorenzen on a 1-year deal to fill out rotation. Sad to see Tyler Anderson will get a spot. Halos go thru same things next year will Rendon and Trout be healthy and with Ohtani gone it does open up DH for both of them. Angels do have some decent young starters in Canning, Silseth, Sandoval and Detmers. Hopefully they canstill improve.

3 hours ago, BTH said:

Is this a permanent thing? I know he finished the season in the pen and he was awful in the rotation at the start of the season, but has Suarez or the team said he’s done starting now?

Not in so many words but that’s the indication I’ve gotten. Of course they change their minds a lot (see Silseth, Chase)

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Proven RHP starter 

Proven closer 

Two proven late innings guys who aren’t in twilight of careers like Loup and Tepera were

Reserve corner INF

Another solid enough OF, because while Adell’s defense is much better, still strikes out waaaay too much.

Backup catcher 

You mean the same needs we have every year

To be a playoff team? 

2 reliable Starting pitchers. 
an entire bullpen from top to bottom. 
2 major league outfielders, potentially 3 with Ward’s injury. 
a 3rd baseman. 
a catcher to either start or backup O’hoppe. Still not sold on the bat. 
with the way Neto finished the year with the bat, potentially a Shortstop. 
A 1st baseman with pop. 

Basically, it’s not looking likely. 

I think one of the biggest things is for the team to return to a 5-man rotation.

Using a six-man rotation without a healthy Ohtani hamstrings the roster and team.

Even if they sign Ohtani, he’s not gonna pitch this year. So go back to a 5-man rotation.

I’d imagine this is among the questions @Jeff Fletcher or one of the other writers will ask Perry about. (I know there was the article from mid-season, but things might be more concrete a few months later).

1 hour ago, BTH said:

I think one of the biggest things is for the team to return to a 5-man rotation.

Using a six-man rotation without a healthy Ohtani hamstrings the roster and team.

Even if they sign Ohtani, he’s not gonna pitch this year. So go back to a 5-man rotation.

I’d imagine this is among the questions @Jeff Fletcher or one of the other writers will ask Perry about. (I know there was the article from mid-season, but things might be more concrete a few months later).

Yeah. This is a good question. 

But as you referred to, Perry did say way back in May he intended to use a five man rotation if Ohtani wasn’t involved. 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah. This is a good question. 

But as you referred to, Perry did say way back in May he intended to use a five man rotation if Ohtani wasn’t involved. 

The only reason why I wonder if something may have changed from when he said that in May is that they continued to use a 6-man rotation after Ohtani was injured.

Perhaps they didn’t want to throw off the pitchers mid-season and want them to have a full offseason before transitioning back to a 5-man rotation.

9 minutes ago, BTH said:

The only reason why I wonder if something may have changed from when he said that in May is that they continued to use a 6-man rotation after Ohtani was injured.

Perhaps they didn’t want to throw off the pitchers mid-season and want them to have a full offseason before transitioning back to a 5-man rotation.

I think that was it. 

They need a miracle. 
The rotation will consist of a lot of solid #3 and #4 guys so they need help there. 

They also have a AAA lineup still with either injuries or no consistency. 

Signing Ohtani would be fun, but it gets you exactly what you had this year. One star player with a revolving door at every other position. 

8 hours ago, BTH said:

Four of the returning pitchers did all pitch between 125 and 150 innings.

They should pretty much be ready now for 5 man rotation work.

Silseth pitched almost 100 innings between MLB and MiLB.   Let him and Suarez share the 5th spot.   Silseth gets most of those starts and Suarez the rest while working as the long innings reliever.

Of course, adding a solid RHP starter who’s not much into his 30s would be great too.

Edited by Angel Oracle