• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let’s get the #1 draft pick!

howie

1 hour ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Let's be real here -- even if they got the #1 pick, they are not picking a HS player.  Nope.

Dude, you have no idea what Perry would do with a #1 overall pick.  First overall is different than 11 or 12 or 13 overall.  If there's a Alex Rodriguez/Ken Griffey Jr type HS player (i.e. an ultra-elite talent who will move quickly), then there's no reason to think Perry would pass on that kind of player.

Luckily for your feeble prediction, 1) we won't get the #1 overall pick, and 2) right now the most likely guys who would go first overall in 2024 are college players.

2 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Dude, you have no idea what Perry would do with a #1 overall pick.  First overall is different than 11 or 12 or 13 overall.  If there's a Alex Rodriguez/Ken Griffey Jr type HS player (i.e. an ultra-elite talent who will move quickly), then there's no reason to think Perry would pass on that kind of player.

Luckily for your feeble prediction, 1) we won't get the #1 overall pick, and 2) right now the most likely guys who would go first overall in 2024 are college players.

Relax Turbo -- have you heard of sarcasm?  Well, maybe only partially sarcastic since i wouldn't put it past the Angels & crew to do so.  

7 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Relax Turbo -- have you heard of sarcasm?  Well, maybe only partially sarcastic since i wouldn't put it past the Angels & crew to do so.  

Yes because they’ve been so bad at drafting under Perry where they’ve only had 5 guys make the majors in the last three drafts, most of any team. With only one having no real success. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes because they’ve been so bad at drafting under Perry where they’ve only had 5 guys make the majors in the last three drafts, most of any team. With only one having no real success. 

You're serious with that comment?  I sure hope not.

The reason they have a lot of guys making the majors is because the team suck and they are promoting fast in a desperate move for success.  Not to mention, as i stated, they are drafting advanced college players early on in hopes to get them onto the team as soon as possible.  Most are high floor, low ceiling types.  Which is fine.  But where are the potential stars and elite players?  It's basically our farm system sucks and we have no organizational depth.  So we need to draft some immediate depth now to salvage hopes of trying to contend for playoffs during Trout (& more so) Ohtani's time.  

which is fine and fully understandable.  But let's not pretend that the Angels are onto something great here and new methodology for MLB franchises building a team.  This is no TB Rays organization.  It's a desperate team taking desperate measures.  I'm not sure why some try so hard to sugar coat it.  We're adults (mostly of us) -- we can admit the failings of the organization and what its been & currently now is.  Fanbases around baseball are not exactly envious of the Angels and their organization (that's being kind). 

We all hope for the best and hope we can get very lucky to turn it around quickly.  But that's really all we have...hoping for luck...and LOTS of it.  Because reality and the facts are against this organization compared to the rest of the league.

51 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Lol. That should be the new Angels marketing/tag line: The LA Angels - where players perform. Lol.
Classic Strad. 

So Neto, Schanuel aren’t performing?  Detmers wasn’t better than league average last year?  Bachman and Joyce haven’t shown they belong in the majors?  Sorry facts hurt you. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

So Neto, Schanuel aren’t performing?  Detmers wasn’t better than league average last year?  Bachman and Joyce haven’t shown they belong in the majors?  Sorry facts hurt you. 

Neto isn't really lighting the world on fire with a .725 OPS (league avg is .750) / OPS+ of 94 (league avg is 100)   Detmers had a really tough year this year.      Bachman and Joyce are TBD.

Schanuel is fine but the guy has almost no power with a .300 SLG Percentage (1 double and 0 triples / homers)
hopefully he works on his launch angle in the offseason and maybe goes to driveline to get some high quality coaching.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Others answered you already.  But i'll repeat them.  Touting Schanuel as a 1Bman with a 300 slugging percentage and negative WAR -- nice gymnastics.  Joyce has a near 3 WHIP and surgery -- even if he makes it back and does well, he's a RP (start the parade smh).  Bachman -- another failed SP who needs to fight the injuries in hopes of becoming a RP (amazing pick).  Detmers is an unknown -- big highs and big lows.  There's potential for a valuable starter there but when will it happen and with the consistency that is needed.

If by "performing" you simply mean they are on the field for this team -- ok, you got me.  But there is a big difference from being out on the field "performing" versus actually "producing".  

I think you're just trying too hard.  Sure, depth and replacement level guys are needed -- especially when you have some elite high-priced players.  Unfortunately, some of those high-priced Angels are not "performing" (see what i did there) and/or can't stay healthy.  What this team and organization needs is some elite, exciting young difference makers.  Actually, they need pretty much everything.  But when you are drafting early in the 1st round, you should be aiming for and drafting/developing potential elite guys.  Not RPs, backend SP and 0 WAR 1B with no slugging.

10 hours ago, case said:

Neto isn't really lighting the world on fire with a .725 OPS (league avg is .750) / OPS+ of 94 (league avg is 100)   Detmers had a really tough year this year.      Bachman and Joyce are TBD.

Schanuel is fine but the guy has almost no power with a .300 SLG Percentage (1 double and 0 triples / homers)
hopefully he works on his launch angle in the offseason and maybe goes to driveline to get some high quality coaching.

The point is all of them are major league ready or in Joyce’s case has major league stuff. Detmers has struggled this year but last year he put up 130 innings of better than league average performance. 

1 minute ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Others answered you already.  But i'll repeat them.  Touting Schanuel as a 1Bman with a 300 slugging percentage and negative WAR -- nice gymnastics.  Joyce has a near 3 WHIP and surgery -- even if he makes it back and does well, he's a RP (start the parade smh).  Bachman -- another failed SP who needs to fight the injuries in hopes of becoming a RP (amazing pick).  Detmers is an unknown -- big highs and big lows.  There's potential for a valuable starter there but when will it happen and with the consistency that is needed.

If by "performing" you simply mean they are on the field for this team -- ok, you got me.  But there is a big difference from being out on the field "performing" versus actually "producing".  

I think you're just trying too hard.  Sure, depth and replacement level guys are needed -- especially when you have some elite high-priced players.  Unfortunately, some of those high-priced Angels are not "performing" (see what i did there) and/or can't stay healthy.  What this team and organization needs is some elite, exciting young difference makers.  Actually, they need pretty much everything.  But when you are drafting early in the 1st round, you should be aiming for and drafting/developing potential elite guys.  Not RPs, backend SP and 0 WAR 1B with no slugging.

Trying too hard, that’s rich coming from you.

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

To be fair the Angels have had a lot of holes to fill, and they are 15 GB.

Edited by Jay

I expect to read a lot of negative stuff on this board, that's the nature of it.

But one thing I really didn't think I'd be reading this year is "the drafts by Perry/McIlvaine are bad".  This is bonkers to me.

I, for one, am glad we have "Low Ceiling" Neto and don't have to read the "should we sign Elvis Andrus to fill the hole at SS" threads this winter. 

3 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Schanuel as a 1Bman with a 300 slugging percentage and negative WAR

So, DFA Schanuel now?  Or just non-tender him in the offseason?  I mean, he's negative WAR, so...

Also, here's a table showing Schanuel is literally the worst player selected in the entire draft this year, as his WAR is below every other player drafted in all rounds!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2023&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round#draft_stats

2023-09-08-2023draftwar.jpg

1 hour ago, Lazorko Saves said:

So, DFA Schanuel now?  Or just non-tender him in the offseason?  I mean, he's negative WAR, so...

Also, here's a table showing Schanuel is literally the worst player selected in the entire draft this year, as his WAR is below every other player drafted in all rounds!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2023&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round#draft_stats

Right to the Straw Man argument.  Well done.

1 hour ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I expect to read a lot of negative stuff on this board, that's the nature of it.

But one thing I really didn't think I'd be reading this year is "the drafts by Perry/McIlvaine are bad".  This is bonkers to me.

I, for one, am glad we have "Low Ceiling" Neto and don't have to read the "should we sign Elvis Andrus to fill the hole at SS" threads this winter. 

Who said the drafts were "bad"?  Show me and i'll give you props for that.

Stad was fawning over the drafts.  My comments, and others, were pumping the brakes on the amazing accolades Strad was pushing simply due to these 5 guys being on the team.  

Personally, i also commented that with three straight top 1/3rd picks by Perry, I wish we didn't go ALL of them with high floor, early to MLs guys that have low chances at reaching a high ceiling.  That's all.  But i said i understood going that route due to the win-now circumstances with Ohtani and complete lack of depth within the organization.  I'm hoping we don't go 4-for-4 next draft doing the same.  that's it.  No hyperbole required.  

12 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Others answered you already.  But i'll repeat them.  Touting Schanuel as a 1Bman with a 300 slugging percentage and negative WAR

Actually Schanuel has a 0.02 oWAR in just 16 professional games, Fourts, Skips, whatever you want to go by today.