• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let’s get the #1 draft pick!

howie

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Thank you keeping these draft order standings updated @jsnpritchett.

I'm rooting for great player performances from guys that will be here longterm but we completely tank in the standings at this point. 

Yep, that's exactly what I'm hoping for!  I'm fine losing every game something like 6-5 with Neto, O'Hoppe, and Schanuel doing well, Detmers, Canning, Joyce, and/or Soriano pitching well--then Herget or Loup blowing it late.  Ha.

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep, that's exactly what I'm hoping for!  I'm fine losing every game something like 6-5 with Neto, O'Hoppe, and Schanuel doing well, Detmers, Canning, Joyce, and/or Soriano pitching well--then Herget or Loup blowing it late.  Ha.

I was kind of hoping for Estevez to finish strong so we could trade him during the offseason. I really think Soriano is our closer of the future with Joyce stepping in here and there and being a great setup guy, or in reverse. 

I'm also wondering if there's a package for Drury in the offseason as well since he has one year on his contract, like Estevez. Problem is I think he's a pretty damn productive 2B and maybe insurance at 3B in case Rendon is kept and battles injuries again. 

Starting to fully embrace a rebuild if Ohtani is not resigned and Trout asks for a trade, but I'm also good with signing Ohtani and keeping Trout, and adding some pieces around our young guys. 

Such a bummer that Tyler Anderson turned out to be 💩

Everything I've seen states that the Nationals are not eligible for any of the top 9 picks in the 2024 draft. The new CBA doesn't allow big market teams to receive lottery picks two consecutive years. Texas is the other team not eligible for a 2024 lottery pick but they weren't going to get one because of their current record. Tank a thon shows the Angels in 6th place after yesterday.

1 hour ago, OneandDone said:

Everything I've seen states that the Nationals are not eligible for any of the top 9 picks in the 2024 draft. The new CBA doesn't allow big market teams to receive lottery picks two consecutive years. Texas is the other team not eligible for a 2024 lottery pick but they weren't going to get one because of their current record. Tank a thon shows the Angels in 6th place after yesterday.

You are correct! I'm wrong. I had forgotten about the rule regarding not getting back-to-back lottery picks. Thanks for that! 

So makes it even better for the Angels!

2 hours ago, BTH said:

You’ll get no Ohtani extension, no Trout trade request, and no rebuild.

I always say this and I always get pushback.  We are witnessing a rebuild. Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Joyce, Soriano, Detmers, Silseth, Rengifo, Moniak are all 25 and younger, with most be 23 or younger. 

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I always say this and I always get pushback.  We are witnessing a rebuild. Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe, Joyce, Soriano, Detmers, Silseth, Rengifo, Moniak are all 25 and younger, with most be 23 or younger. 

I’d call that more of a youth movement than a rebuild.

A rebuild involves trading away veterans for younger players or prospects.

That’s not Arte’s MO.

I’m not calling it a rebuild unless they start trading guys like Ward, Sandoval, Drury, and Estevez.

12 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’d call that more of a youth movement than a rebuild.

A rebuild involves trading away veterans for younger players or prospects.

That’s not Arte’s MO.

I’m not calling it a rebuild unless they start trading guys like Ward, Sandoval, Drury, and Estevez.

Those are the only guys that could be considered trade chips. Rengifo would also be a chip.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think Trout wants to stay based solely on his own situation. And the Angels also aren’t going a full rebuild. 

After 8 straight losing seasons you would think a new direction should be taken. Very little on FA market and halos minor league system not very good so be hard to trade. They have so many holes to fill. Last year's trade for Renfroe and Urshela did not work. Signing of Anderson has not worked and signing Carlos E. worked for half a year. Who knows if Minasian or Nevin will be back. This team is a mess right now and a new direction needs to be taken or same old results will happen.

4 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Can't wait for the off-season. Looking forward to a lot of changes.

I don't see that much change coming.  On the position players side of things it'll pretty much be who's in the org now and maybe they keep Moustakas.  So Schanuel, Drury, Neto, Moustakas, Trout, Ward, Moniak, O'hoppe with Rengifo, Adell, Thaiss/Stassi.  Rendon still in there.  Probably DH .  

They got five starters in Detmers, Sandoval, Canning, Silseth and Anderson.  Maybe they add a starter?  

Pen needs some work but they'll roll with Estevez at CL again.  Maybe they stretch out Bachman or maybe he goes to the pen.  

The FA market is kinda crap.  Is Snell the prize?  I have my doubts about him having sustainable success into his 30's

We don't have much of a farm to trade from.  

I think what you see is what'll you'll see with the hope for improved health and improved performance.  

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I had 3 and 9 through the end of the season and so far they only have one win. They could drop below St Louis with that record or hold the 6th pick. I doubt they win four or five games and slip back to 7th. 

Cards are also in a free fall and have a harder rest of schedule than the Angels, so it'll be tough--but it'll at least make the last few games interesting! 

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So how does the lottery work again? I know the top 3 teams have the best chance for the number 1 pick. But can the Angels end up with a pick outside the top 10?

In theory, yes, it's mathematically possible. The lottery determines the first 6 picks.  If the Angels finish 6th, it's still possible (though not at all likely) that they could drop as low as 12th.  Example: 6 teams below them get picked in the lottery and take slots 1-6 in the '24 draft, then the 5 other teams that finished with worse records than the Angels would pick, followed by the Angels at 12.

Angels lost and Cardinals are losing 8-0 in the 5th, so safe to say they're going to lose.  Angels will remain 2 games back of the Cards for 5th with 6 games left.  Mets play this evening but have been in a real tailspin.  They're only 1 game behind the Angels for the 6th draft position.  At this point, I just want the Angels to at least hold on to that position.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:55 PM, tdawg87 said:

So how does the lottery work again? I know the top 3 teams have the best chance for the number 1 pick. But can the Angels end up with a pick outside the top 10?

https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-rule-changes-with-new-cba

With our luck, as @jsnpritchett noted above, we'll fall to 12th, lol. I will still be rooting for the lightning strike of the Halos pulling in the #1 pick, however.