• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let’s get the #1 draft pick!

howie

On 9/9/2023 at 2:35 PM, Lazorko Saves said:

And for your nightmare fuel, consider the possibility of one of our tougher AL West rivals missing the playoffs then getting the first overall pick.  0.2% chance as of right now.

2023-09-09-drafttexas.gif

Pretty much exactly what will happen. And they already got Langford from last year's draft, who looks like he may be the best prospect in the class. 

4 hours ago, BTH said:

Schanuel’s lack of power is something the Angels should’ve known about.

Now that we have public data on Schanuel, we know he has among the worst avg EV and bat speed among all MLB players.

Did the team not have this data or measure it before drafting him and paying him $5 million?

If they just went off his metal bat data, they are even more incompetent than we think.

Something to consider, he is facing pitchers he’s never seen before.  As he gets more experience, he’ll start driving the ball.

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

You are misremembering.  There was talk about his lack of OPS in the cape cod league prior to being drafted.

If that's the case, and ultimately it turns out to not be an easy fix/adjustment (e.g., getting used to wooden bats), then it makes the selection of him and full slot payment even more of a questionable decision.  I don't care how elite the OBP/eye is for a guy -- he needs to have more elite skills than that to justify.  The problem is, he's negative or average (at best) for all other spots.  Negative power (especially for the position), defensive negative, speed negative.  I love the OBP and patience/eye...but not at the expensive of everything else.  Especially at 1B. 

He has time to adapt and improve.  But doing that in the majors is not the ideal place to do so.  Worse when it's a team that is so desperate to win.  Maybe if it's the A's or some full-on rebuilding team like the O's a few years back.  Peculiar management decisions.  I hope in the end they end up being on the right side of things here.  History hasn't been their friend though.

35 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

If that's the case, and ultimately it turns out to not be an easy fix/adjustment (e.g., getting used to wooden bats), then it makes the selection of him and full slot payment even more of a questionable decision.  I don't care how elite the OBP/eye is for a guy -- he needs to have more elite skills than that to justify.  The problem is, he's negative or average (at best) for all other spots.  Negative power (especially for the position), defensive negative, speed negative.  I love the OBP and patience/eye...but not at the expensive of everything else.  Especially at 1B. 

He has time to adapt and improve.  But doing that in the majors is not the ideal place to do so.  Worse when it's a team that is so desperate to win.  Maybe if it's the A's or some full-on rebuilding team like the O's a few years back.  Peculiar management decisions.  I hope in the end they end up being on the right side of things here.  History hasn't been their friend though.

It was a small sample size. You remembered him as being a power OBP guy.  He was in college with one of the highest slugging percentages in college. I’m guessing they believe he will grow into a doubles and OBP machine. Nothing wrong with that. If he’s above a .400 OBP in the majors he will be very valuable. 

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was a small sample size. You remembered him as being a power OBP guy.  He was in college with one of the highest slugging percentages in college. I’m guessing they believe he will grow into a doubles and OBP machine. Nothing wrong with that. If he’s above a .400 OBP in the majors he will be very valuable. 

I feel like you are always there to counter-point any post that has a criticism of the Angels.  Always changing the narrative to a potential positive.  But not in an optimistic fan-boy way (which would be fine).  But in a "i work for the Angels organization" type way.  Not that you do obviously.  But it comes off that way.  Like there is no way to criticize the team/organization at all with you.  Let's be real, there's a lot to do so with them.  You can be hopeful and supportive of the team, while also acknowledge the failures and problematic issues. 

Even you have to be able to admit that the lack of any power at all is a concern at this early juncture in his career; and that the majors with a desperate to win team is not an ideal place for such a youngster to immediately jump from a mid-major college to now learn how to hit with a wooden bat, go against the best Ps in the world, etc.  

31 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

I feel like you are always there to counter-point any post that has a criticism of the Angels.  Always changing the narrative to a potential positive.  But not in an optimistic fan-boy way (which would be fine).  But in a "i work for the Angels organization" type way.  Not that you do obviously.  But it comes off that way.  Like there is no way to criticize the team/organization at all with you.  Let's be real, there's a lot to do so with them.  You can be hopeful and supportive of the team, while also acknowledge the failures and problematic issues. 

Even you have to be able to admit that the lack of any power at all is a concern at this early juncture in his career; and that the majors with a desperate to win team is not an ideal place for such a youngster to immediately jump from a mid-major college to now learn how to hit with a wooden bat, go against the best Ps in the world, etc.  

yea and you come across like a typical twenty something know it all. 
No I don’t admit or believe he’s up with the club in some desperate way to win games. He’s up here because he can get on base at an elite rate at the major league level. 
The power will come but it might be double power. Do a search and you’ll see who I compare him to. 

I think a lot of fans are quick to put players in a box.  When Ohtani struggled with the bat in ST of his first year - many were saying he should only pitch.  His bat came around.  When he had TJ surgery, some said he should just hit.  He came back. 

Schanuel hasn't even had a 100 PA and some of you are already writing him off as a power hitter.  Maybe he won't have elite power, but he's certainly going to have some power.  He doesn't have to have elite power to have a productive career.

Mark Grace only hit 7 HR's in his first full season.  In his first five seasons, he only hit double digit homers - once.  He still made it into the HOF.

36 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Mark Grace only hit 7 HR's in his first full season.  In his first five seasons, he only hit double digit homers - once.  He still made it into the HOF.

Mark Grace is not in the Hall of Fame.  He was named on 4.1% of ballots in his first year of eligibility, which is below the benchmark to even stay on the ballot.

22 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Mark Grace is not in the Hall of Fame.  He was named on 4.1% of ballots in his first year of eligibility, which is below the benchmark to even stay on the ballot.

You're right... I was mistaken.  Never-the-less he had a terrific career and my point remains.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

No I don’t admit or believe he’s up with the club in some desperate way to win games. He’s up here because he can get on base at an elite rate at the major league level. 
The power will come but it might be double power. Do a search and you’ll see who I compare him to. 

Case in point -- as i said

On 9/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, T.G. said:

I think a lot of fans are quick to put players in a box.  When Ohtani struggled with the bat in ST of his first year - many were saying he should only pitch.  His bat came around.  When he had TJ surgery, some said he should just hit.  He came back. 

Schanuel hasn't even had a 100 PA and some of you are already writing him off as a power hitter.  Maybe he won't have elite power, but he's certainly going to have some power.  He doesn't have to have elite power to have a productive career.

I keep coming back to Grace as a comp too. Just needs to see more defensive improvement.