• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels waive Moore (claimed by Cleveland), Giolito (claimed by Cleveland), Lopez (claimed by Cleveland), Grichuk (not claimed), Renfroe (claimed by Cincinnati), Leone (claimed by Seattle)

mmc

5 hours ago, BTH said:

Prove it then.

Why should I trust you?

Do you talk to Angels players or have sources with knowledge of their thinking?

I’m not saying I’m right, because I could be wrong. But I don’t know how the players truly feel, and I doubt you do either.

No, but I am a former college athlete, and know a lot of former professional athletes well enough to know their mindsets.

"Prove it"  🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

2 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Funny. I'm going to see the Friday night Cleveland game. I wonder if the Angel infusion will have the same effect on them as it did here. And Cleveland is still in a close race. 

It would be ironic if any or all the pickups do anything significant for them to make the playoffs. 

Same script for them, different location.

my immediate thought was "i guess cleveland hasn't watched any angel games over the last month."

3 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Funny. I'm going to see the Friday night Cleveland game. I wonder if the Angel infusion will have the same effect on them as it did here. And Cleveland is still in a close race. 

It would be ironic if any or all the pickups do anything significant for them to make the playoffs. 

Same script for them, different location.

Giolitto 4 hit shutout. 

Moore & Lopez 2 Holds...

Indians/Guardians sweep.

I thought it would be frowned upon to have another thread about Ohtani so I'm asking here: Does this movement of players have any effect on if he stays or not? Was this done because of a decision of Ohtani to leave? Did this only happen because of the Angels' horrid August?

The hilarity that people here assumed these guys weren't getting picked up!

Of course Renfroe was also. Power hitter can play some defense. Could be a platoon guy as a DH. 

Obviously, a New team, has a New approach, New hitting Philosophy, New voices.

In reality all this does is show the disfunction of the philosophies of the Organization. They couldn't even help a few of these guys get through their struggles. Or, they wouldn't listen which would have hindered the tradeability to begin with and why they shouldn't have been a part of the org to begin with. 

Obviously, most if not all were going to be picked. Even now if they release Grichuk he will be picked up.

11 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I thought it would be frowned upon to have another thread about Ohtani so I'm asking here: Does this movement of players have any effect on if he stays or not? Was this done because of a decision of Ohtani to leave? Did this only happen because of the Angels' horrid August?

I think the moves were made because the front office realized this year was a lost cause and it lets them get under the luxury tax threshold.  Plus, it gives the guys they waived the chance to play meaningful games for the rest of the season. 

I've said elsewhere that I think it's possible that the Angels might know Ohtani is about to shut it down for the season--or, alternatively, that even if he hadn't already decided to have surgery, the team finally admitting that their playoff hopes are dead might now make him go ahead and get surgery if he needs it.

Who knows what Ohtani is thinking, but any rational person (which baseball players frequently are not...) shouldn't see these moves as any indication of anything other than just doing some housecleaning and resetting for next season.  If anything, it puts them in a better position to sign him, and obviously all of the players they waived were going to be free agents, anyway--so them getting the heave-ho shouldn't impact Ohtani's impressions of the team moving forward.

50 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Obviously, most if not all were going to be picked. Even now if they release Grichuk he will be picked up.

Doubt they'll release him.. he's useful can play defense and hit as good as anyone else we can put in his place..  Only reason to waive him was for salary relief.. if we dumped him we'd still have to pay him so he'll be staying.

Looking over Giolito's stats with the Halos compared to his starts with the Chi Sox.

Innings - Angels 32.2 Sox 121

Hits - Angels 33  Sox 106

Walks - Angels 15 Sox 45

Strike outs - Angels 34 Sox 131

Could the Halos have attempted to change something or adjust his repertoire once he got here? Or, called a different sequence than he was use to? 

We already know only Ohtani calls his own games... 

Let's see what happens in Cleveland....

24 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Looking over Giolito's stats with the Halos compared to his starts with the Chi Sox.

Innings - Angels 32.2 Sox 121

Hits - Angels 33  Sox 106

Walks - Angels 15 Sox 45

Strike outs - Angels 34 Sox 131

Could the Halos have attempted to change something or adjust his repertoire once he got here? Or, called a different sequence than he was use to? 

We already know only Ohtani calls his own games... 

Let's see what happens in Cleveland....

It does point to a possibly big issue/disconnect with the pitching end of the coaching.

Is it on Minasian, Wise, Hezel, or a combo of them?

Edited by Angel Oracle

They should have put Loup on waivers along with Estevez. I can't stand to watch either of these to guys pitch! Too bad the manager can't be put on waivers too for putting in  "HR" Loup in any game and letting "one pitch" Estevez stay in the game after he starts walking batters. I would have kept Lopez and used him as the closer for the remainder of the season. At least he can get a batter or two out without walking the bases loaded. The next time he puts in either of these pitchers the manager should be booed out of the stadium.

The GM picked up a bunch of average or below players at the trade deadline and gave up a lot to do it, now they are gone. What a loser.

54 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

On 8/27/2023 at 9:13 AM, AngelsWin.com said:

Giolito credited the Angels coaching and analytics team for an adjustment he made after the Braves start.

“I’ve never been able to make an adjustment to see immediate results so quickly when it comes to how the ball is coming out of my hand,” Giolito said. “Initially talking with (pitching coach Matt Wise) and going in and speaking with all the mechanics and analytics guys, I got a report that I wasn’t getting behind the ball the way I like, and we got a plan to get back behind the ball. I like the way I’ve been throwing the ball.”

So earlier in this thread there was a mention that if the Angels got under the threshold and if Ohtani left via free agency that the Angels would get a higher draft pick.  Where did we land on that?  Is that true or are the Angels excluded from getting a higher draft pick?  

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So earlier in this thread there was a mention that if the Angels got under the threshold and if Ohtani left via free agency that the Angels would get a higher draft pick.  Where did we land on that?  Is that true or are the Angels excluded from getting a higher draft pick?  

Seems to be confirmed that they cleared enough money that they are now under the tax so the Comp pick moves up to after the 2nd round. Also would keep them in the lowest tax bracket if they go over the tax threshold next year. 

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Seems to be confirmed that they cleared enough money that they are now under the tax so the Comp pick moves up to after the 2nd round. Also would keep them in the lowest tax bracket if they go over the tax threshold next year. 

So it went from a 4th round pick to a 2nd round pick?  

41 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

LOL, just woke up to the news. Can we even suit up nine players tonight?

Let the 5-10 year rebuild begin! They should be able to get that third wild card before I'm 90 (if I make it that far).

Arte, sell the team and get out of the way!

Haha, you are adorable.