• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels waive Moore (claimed by Cleveland), Giolito (claimed by Cleveland), Lopez (claimed by Cleveland), Grichuk (not claimed), Renfroe (claimed by Cincinnati), Leone (claimed by Seattle)

mmc

I’m on record as a fan of Perry until he gives me reason otherwise. No one is going to make all A+ moves, but he has done some solid things:

• Cut Pujols and Upton
  • Traded for Ohoppe and Moniak. 
  • Solid early draft returns with aggressive promotions all of which have shown potential to be average+ MLB players (Neto, Schanuel, Silseth, Joyce, Bachman)
  • Took responsibility for 2022 depth issues and addressed them head-on
  • Did not sit idly by while injuries beset the 2023 team. Went out and got guys who had a track record of MLB experience vs relying on the Duffys, Sierras, and Rojas’ of the world.  You can critique the play of those guys since joining the team, but they all looked like plus adds vs guys from the minors/waiver wire.
  • his deadline acquisitions haven’t performed but he did display the ability to make moves in a sellers market. 
  • Quick to pivot from his own mistakes. Fletcher is a prime example of this. The waiver moves are another (although that’s complicated)
  • 4 of the 6 moves in the 2023 offseason have been great.  Anderson and Renfroe not so much, but at least he struck early with Anderson and got him for less than market value.

He has done this while having a several major handicaps - multiple dead money contracts and an owner who traditionally eschews spending over the luxury tax and interferes in baseball decisions as well as an inherited farm system from Eppler that was bereft of any high end talent.  Plus he has had the pressure of winning now due to having two generational talents AND doing so while a potential sale hung over the team.

IMHO he is the best we have had since Stoneman. 

16 hours ago, BTH said:

@Jeff Fletcher

Does this (positively or negatively) affect how the Angels are viewed by people (players, agents, execs, coaches, etc.) in the industry?

The biggest potential negative, IMO, is if it turns people off towards joining the Angels in the future.

I have no idea why this move would turn furure opayers off in the future

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Really?    How were they going to contend truly, when struggling against over .500 teams.   That isn’t playing those teams competitively.  That would be going at least slightly over .500 against them.

I am wondering how many guys who felt we should sell at trade deadline believed Seattle had a chance to win the division?

23 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

I’m on record as a fan of Perry until he gives me reason otherwise. No one is going to make all A+ moves, but he has done some solid things:

• Cut Pujols and Upton
  • Solid early draft returns with aggressive promotions all of which have shown potential to be average+ MLB players (Neto, Schanuel, Silseth, Joyce, Bachman)
  • Did not sit idly by while injuries beset the 2023 team. Went out and got guys who had a track record of MLB experience vs relying on the Duffys, Sierras, and Rojas’ of the world.  You can critique the play of those guys since joining the team, but they all looked like plus adds vs guys from the minors/waiver wire.
  • his deadline acquisitions haven’t performed but he did display the ability to make moves in a sellers market. 
  • Quick to pivot from his own mistakes. Fletcher is a prime example of this. The waiver moves are another (although that’s complicated)
  • 4 of the 6 moves in the 2023 offseason have been great.  Anderson and Renfroe not so much, but at least he struck early with Anderson and got him for less than market value.

He has done this while having a several major handicaps - multiple dead money contracts and an owner who traditionally eschews spending over the luxury tax and interferes in baseball decisions as well as an inherited farm system from Eppler that was bereft of any high end talent.  Plus he has had the pressure of winning now due to having two generational talents AND doing so while a potential sale hung over the team.

Pujols actually contributed for the Dodgers and Cardinals after we cut him.  

1 hour ago, mmc said:

No one is giving him a ton of praise or love dude.  Sorry that people like some of the things he’s done, and thinks some of the poor decisions he’s made were out of his control

This is Angelswin in a Nut Shell.

We're all fans of the organization.

Yes, some will like things, some will hate them.

How we get traction here is based on the Minor League reports, interviews, now the podcast. It brings legitimacy to this little part of the www.

Does that mean I need to agree with you? No. Do you need to agree with me? No. 

Part of the issue here. Is kind of what you see going on with the team today.

Some here have played, others understand the analytics of the game, others are fans of the kids and enjoy watching their process, others only care about the team in the dugout. And yet no one wants to put it all together! Everyone has to fit in their BOX of thought or they are considered the enemy.

I believe it's safe to say. We all are passionate and fans of the Team and the Organization. And just want them to be successful.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Wrong

Ok, MMC, thanks.

this has been my question. I read where if they go on waivers now. And they are claimed their gone. And if they are unclaimed they are also gone. Similar to a release or DFA.

That was why I didn't understand why it was done? Other than a salary dump either way.

So, why would any team help the Angels by claiming any of them? To get them under the Tax threshold so they get a better Comp pick when Ohtani leaves via Free Agency? I don't see that happening. 

I guess, well see. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't go through the new CBA and read it all.

So, all of these guys who don't get claimed stay here. And the Halos can either release them at that point? Or, keep them? I mean why wouldn't they release them at that point because they want the Luxury Tax savings?

You can add 2 guys to the big league roster starting Friday and if all the Waiver guys get picked up, it's going to take some work to put together a roster for September.....SLC roster isn't exactly loaded....you may see guys like Fletcher and Phillips, who are already under contract just because you have to pay them anyway.....neither is on the 40 man but if all the Waiver guys are claimed, there will be plenty of room.....For pitchers, you can pretty much assume that Gioilto, Moore and Lopez will be claimed....maybe Kolton Ingram, who has good stats at SLC, gets called up....not sure where he has been since he was sent down but he pitched last night and did well.....Beyond that, I don't know....

1 hour ago, HBAngel13 said:

• Cut Pujols and Upton

I get that, but how did he guess wrong on so many mid-season acquisitions?

Lack of coordination between advance scouting and Minasian?

Lack of coaching?

When free fall started, confidence level was finished?

All of the above?

38 minutes ago, T.G. said:

They will claim them if they believe the player can help them in their playoff push. 

At this point, I could see Moore, Lopez, and Renfroe claimed.

The key to getting under the tax threshold is Giolito, and he is looking iffy to be claimed with that August ERA.

They are $5.4 million over the tax threshold, if I looked at the most current Sportac figures.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Lack of coaching?

All of the above?

It's baseball.   Even with advanced analytics, it's still unpredictable.

50 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Is anyone surprised there haven’t been any claims yet?  What’s the deadline?  Are they even allowed to be claimed yet?

I can't find where I read it (or maybe the broadcast talked about it), but I think two days have to pass before the waiver claims are processed.  It's not just whoever gets a claim in first.

So if anything happens, it will happen Thursday.

11 minutes ago, T.G. said:

It's baseball.   Even with advanced analytics, it's still unpredictable.

And the advanced analytics don't count for human element or disposition and how they handle pressure.

And we have only 8 scouts to go out and Scout Major League guys, prepare for the next series, watch possible prospects high school and college, follow the Minor League teams etc.

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Lack of coaching?

All of the above?

Actually, Escobar and Moose are doing pretty much what they were doing with the Mets and Rockies...Grichuk and Giolito have tanked badly.....Cron has been hurt, and had been in and out of the lineup with the Rockies before the deadline, if I recall...which makes you wonder why Perry picked him up....

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

You can add 2 guys to the big league roster starting Friday and if all the Waiver guys get picked up, it's going to take some work to put together a roster for September.....SLC roster isn't exactly loaded....you may see guys like Fletcher and Phillips, who are already under contract just because you have to pay them anyway.....neither is on the 40 man but if all the Waiver guys are claimed, there will be plenty of room.....For pitchers, you can pretty much assume that Gioilto, Moore and Lopez will be claimed....maybe Kolton Ingram, who has good stats at SLC, gets called up....not sure where he has been since he was sent down but he pitched last night and did well.....Beyond that, I don't know....

How about 2024 roster. Will need 7 in BP, 2 or more starters, help in OF and INF. I see halos going after cheap FA this winter. No way can this team compete in 24.