• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani's Looming Free Agency

Ohtani's Looming Free Agency  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Does he stay or does he go?

• He's all about the Benjamins. HE GONE!
    • He only wants to win. HE GONE!
    • There's already been discussions that we don't know about. HE STAYS!
    • He has a loyalty to the only organization that would let him be a 2-way player. HE STAYS!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/21/2023 at 04:59 AM

Unless we get a new owner who’s willing to spend like crazy, I think it may be for the best to not get Shohei.

Locking up so much $ on one player, with higher risk of injury from the 2-way,  and leaving little left to sign others, not worth it. Let some rich owner take that huge risk. Angels might as well spread the risk by signing a good pitcher and a batter for similar $. 
If the goal is to increase chances of winning, investing long-term high dollars on two-way players may not be a good biz decision in general.

Unless Moreno suddenly turns into Steve Cohen, we can’t sign Ohtani and win, bottom line.  One, Ohtani will never be worth what he’s going to get, and two, Arte has already proven he won’t back it up with more spending when that inevitably happens.  

Unfortunately a rebuild in personnel and coaching staff is in order. 

3 hours ago, full circle said:

Unless Moreno suddenly turns into Steve Cohen, we can’t sign Ohtani and win, bottom line.  One, Ohtani will never be worth what he’s going to get, and two, Arte has already proven he won’t back it up with more spending when that inevitably happens.  

Unfortunately a rebuild in personnel and coaching staff is in order. 

I do not think a rebuild is in order. Halos have good young players to build around. These young pitchers will improve as they get more experience. I truly believe if Trout, O'Hoppe and Neto been healthy all year Angels would be in playoffs this year.

I put that he stays, but it's mostly wishful thinking. I think it's one of 2 things:

1) Ohtani is disappointed in the Angels and unhappy with the organization. Despite the fact he said he wants to win with the Angels, he mostly just didn't want to be traded while having one of, if not the, greatest season of all time during a contract year. As a result he will go elsewhere, but not necessarily the most money. He will go to an organization that will give him the same treatment the Angels did, but one that is better at up to compete in the next 5+years. I also don't think he'll sign as big of a deal as everyone thinks. I truly believe Ohtani knows well enough that getting paid $50-60M a year puts a major hamstring on a team. I think he figures out where he wants to play and takes $30-40M a year.

2) He wants to bring a WS to the Angels. He cares deeply about his legacy. It's why he opted to come to MLB early on a rookie deal instead of waiting and getting more money. At the rate he's going, he is making a case for the GOAT. Any player can go to a perennial contender like the dodgers and Astros and have a shot at the WS, but everyone knows that those teams had a shot even without them. Ohtani's legacy would receive a greater boost by bringing a team like the Angels, one everyone counts out, deep into the playoffs. The bat flip against the Yankees gave off that energy. That, screw you guys we'll show you, type of energy. 

I'm probably wrong, but those are the 2 scenarios I see.

The way I see it is (but obviously I could be completely wrong):

If it were #3 or #4, he would have already signed an extension. Announcing an extension would have provided a much-needed boost for the team and justified all the moves at the trade deadline. Instead, the Angels appear desperate to convince Ohtani that they want to win. Doesn't seem like a good way to show loyalty to the org. If he really wants to stay in Anaheim I see no reason to test FA other than to drive up the price (which implies #1).

That leaves us with #1 or #2.