• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Does Not Want to be Traded

tomsred

Column: Shohei Ohtani says he wants to go to the playoffs with the Angels. Don't trade him
Shohei Ohtani said Friday he will do anything to help the Angels reach the playoffs. The Angels should help him instead of trading him.

Read in Los Angeles Times: https://apple.news/A35wX8CSSR1mnZ7AGDyqXdg

Shared from Apple News

Per previous post, much a do about nothing. Likely from the Fri post game interview when he was asked whether he thought it may be his last time pitching here as an Angel and whether he felt sentiment from the stands of folks thanking him. To which he said he didn’t feel or look at it that way. And that they are still in the hunt so he just wants to try to keep winning and get to the playoffs.

Maybe there was also a comment in there along the lines of why would there be a trade, we’re in the hunt.

2023 payroll is about $35mil higher than it's ever been.  Frankly, that's where it should be if you're going to continue to operate with a bottom third farm system.  But if that's the commitment for a few years then I like the Angels chances of becoming consistently competitive and if I were Ohtani, I'd stay.  At the end of the day, this could be a really good spot for him for the rest of his career as long as the commitment is there financially.    

I love the sentiment from Ohtani but this goes both ways, I feel. Ohtani has to give the front office some sort of sign that if the Angels' finish strong, he's willing to sign an extension with us. Even if its a short 2-3 year type of deal to continue growing on this season and give him the opportunity to hit the open market if we continue to fail.

If the Angels' get an amazing offer for him and the front office isn't confident in this season, then they've got to at least give serious consideration into trading him. 

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

2023 payroll is about $35mil higher than it's ever been.  Frankly, that's where it should be if you're going to continue to operate with a bottom third farm system.  But if that's the commitment for a few years then I like the Angels chances of becoming consistently competitive and if I were Ohtani, I'd stay.  At the end of the day, this could be a really good spot for him for the rest of his career as long as the commitment is there financially.    

Agreed. It seems Ohtani places a lot of value on his legacy and so it would make sense that signing with a middling franchise and ultimately bringing a title would be the ultimate goal. Leaving and signing with a WS level contender like the dodgers feels like when Kevin Durant joined the warriors. Sure they won, but it never felt like Durant was the missing piece. Just the guy that made the best team that much better.

That being said, if Ohtani really wanted to sign with the Angels, it seems like a no brainer to trade him for some elite prospects to improve their future and then sign him in the offseason. They are still in the mix, but even after winning 5 of their last 6 they've hardly gained ground. After the tigers they have the toughest schedule in baseball. I really hope the Angels and Ohtani can come to an understanding. I do feel Ohtani will not want a trade though because he'll feel they are still in the mix and the schedule doesn't matter.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, they don't trade Ohtani, they make the playoffs, and they sign Ohtani.

No surprise that Ohtani doesn't want to be traded. Who would want to be traded with 2 months left in the season and have to relocate etc. only to relocate again after signing a contract with some other team during the offseason?

I'm sure he would prefer to play out the string in Anaheim then get started on FA.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

No surprise that Ohtani doesn't want to be traded. Who would want to be traded with 2 months left in the season and have to relocate etc. only to relocate again after signing a contract with some other team during the offseason?

I'm sure he would prefer to play out the string in Anaheim then get started on FA.

I’d assume a player that “only cares about winning” wouldn’t mind being traded to a team that is destined for the playoffs.