• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani's future contract

34 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am by no means saying Albert was a good deal for the Angels, but the truth is the Cardinals did not win a WS over the ten year Pujols contract.

So maybe they should have signed their ROY and 3 time MVP to have the legend of Albert Pujols all to themselves, even if they don’t win any additional WS with him.

Obviously the first choice is to win, but I would rather not win the WS with Ohtani than not win the WS without him.

Keep the legend in house.

They didn't win a world series but they were in the world series in 2013 and the playoffs 8 times.

The Angels? They did not fare will with Pujols with only one playoff appearance. The Cardinals chose wisely. 

12 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Interesting how you use Pujols for comparison instead of Trout.

Trout stayed with the team. We are talking about if you let Ohtani go as a business decision taking into account previous contract results and fan reaction.

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They didn't win a world series but they were in the world series in 2013 and the playoffs 8 times.

The Angels? They did not fare will with Pujols with only one playoff appearance. The Cardinals chose wisely. 

Especially taking the actual Pujols age into account

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I was only citing that the Cardinals would have been just fine with Pujols.  

And for all we know they might have won that 2013 World Series with Pujols.

Matt Adams went 3-22 (.136/.136/.182) in that World Series.  No homers, no rbi, no runs scored.  The other guy that played 1B one game was Allen Craig, and he went 0-3 playing first.

3-25 overall is .125.

Pujols would not have hurt their chances of winning that World Series.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

People always talk about the merchandising dollars but that’s not how it works. All MLB licensed merchandise is split amongst all teams and the players association. So Arte would get as much for the sale of a Judge jersey as he would an Ohtani jersey. 

They revenue share about 48% of what they bring in. So more merchandise sales = more money for the angels, and the other teams. More people = more money. Ohtani brings in more people. 

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Trout stayed with the team. We are talking about if you let Ohtani go as a business decision taking into account previous contract results and fan reaction.

But in terms of a “business decision” you have to replace a top of the rotation starter and the best hitter in baseball if you let him walk.

I don’t really see how you are going to do that for less money per year.

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Blarg doesn't want Ohtani,  confirmed 

I would very much like to see Ohtani play out his career as a Angel. But to do that ownership has to invest more money in player development, scouting and coaching to pump cheap, quality players into the roster on a yearly basis through the farm.

Moreno has not shown the ability to make those commitments and has stubbornly refused to sell the team so there is not a future for Ohtani in this organization if his emphasis is on winning. 

He will not offer a home town discount, he will walk. I can't stop that by wishing.  

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I was only citing that the Cardinals would have been just fine with Pujols.  

And for all we know they might have won that 2013 World Series with Pujols.

Matt Adams went 3-22 (.136/.136/.182) in that World Series.  No homers, no rbi, no runs scored.  The other guy that played 1B one game was Allen Craig, and he went 0-3 playing first.

3-25 overall is .125.

Pujols would not have hurt their chances of winning that World Series.

Pujols went 2-14 in the 2014 playoffs vs the Royals. He may have played better in St Louis, or not. 

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

But to do that ownership has to invest more money in player development, scouting and coaching to pump cheap, quality players into the roster on a yearly basis through the farm.

They have already accomplished this.

Santana, Canning, Detmers, Bachman, Joyce, Ohoppe, Thaiss, Neto, Ward, Adell, Moniak, Schanuel, Quero. . .

Honest question, what are you not seeing?

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

But Trout could have gone to another team. A superstar player who required the biggest contract in history. The Pujols comparison could have been made* then too.

*by a dumbass

19 minutes ago, TroutField said:

They revenue share about 48% of what they bring in. So more merchandise sales = more money for the angels, and the other teams. More people = more money. Ohtani brings in more people. 

I could be wrong but that 48% is tv revenue. Merchandise is equal split then shared with players union.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I could be wrong but that 48% is tv revenue. Merchandise is equal split then shared with players union.  

This is what I could find online. Granted, it is some random website so could be wrong. I was under the impression it was about 50% of revenues were shared but seems like the info isn’t easy to find on the internet. 

IMG_2846.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

They have already accomplished this.

Santana, Canning, Detmers, Bachman, Joyce, Ohoppe, Thaiss, Neto, Ward, Adell, Moniak, Schanuel, Quero. . .

Honest question, what are you not seeing?

A consistent commitment to the organizational health. This is our third GM in 13 years and each had their own system that was only partially implemented considering the budget. Minasian probably will be attributed to more of the future success than his predecessors but that is a tallest pygmy comparison. 

There is no baseball people above Minasian so he has to get through a bunch of guys with billboard and beer buddy qualifications to push through any budget for his scouting and minor leagues.

They need to put in place a VP of Baseball operations, with those specific qualifications, who can override the beer buddies and focus money on baseball and not banners in front of the stadium. 

That's what I'm not seeing. 

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

A consistent commitment to the organizational health. This is our third GM in 13 years and each had their own system that was only partially implemented considering the budget. Minasian probably will be attributed to more of the future success than his predecessors but that is a tallest pygmy comparison. 

There is no baseball people above Minasian so he has to get through a bunch of guys with billboard and beer buddy qualifications to push through any budget for his scouting and minor leagues.

They need to put in place a VP of Baseball operations, with those specific qualifications, who can override the beer buddies and focus money on baseball and not banners in front of the stadium. 

That's what I'm not seeing. 

Theo Epstein would be that guy with partial ownership 

i said earlier that if i'm the one negotiating with him, i slide a blank check across the desk and ask him to fill it out for any amount he wants. i'm paying him whatever he wants.

as for the number of years or any opt-out clauses, i'd negotiate those with him. but this would be the one time when money was no object.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Let me first say that even if it crushes the org, I hope we resign him.

This might be the only thing you've ever written with which I vehemently disagree. "Even if it crushes the org"???

I want the organization to start winning again. We're gonna see 5 MVPs in 10 seasons and not a single postseason win to show for it. Those MVP awards mean nothing to me. There is no player who is more entertaining than winning.