• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

All they need to do is play .667 baseball....

to have a good shot at the playoffs.  71 games, that's a record of around 47 wins and 24 losses.  So, after they sweep the Astros this weekend, that brings the total down to 44.  Fortunately, they play many of the opponents that are ahead of them, so it makes it easier to make up ground.  I am of the belief that they aren't nearly as bad as they had been the past 10 games.  

You keep Ohtani.  There is zero chance they get fair market value for him.  Trade for some pitching. You need some guys to come back like Neto and then if you get Trout, it's like getting an all-star in the heat of the race without losing anyone.  

This CAN happen.  Who's with me?

i am not.

there is one team in all of mlb that has a better than 667 winning percentage and that's the best team in baseball obviously, which is the braves at 674. the second highest winning percentage in all of mlb is the rays at 624.

the angels need to be the second best team in all of baseball in the second half of the season by your calculations. not where i'd put my money.

13 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

to have a good shot at the playoffs.  71 games, that's a record of around 47 wins and 24 losses.  So, after they sweep the Astros this weekend, that brings the total down to 44.  Fortunately, they play many of the opponents that are ahead of them, so it makes it easier to make up ground.  I am of the belief that they aren't nearly as bad as they had been the past 10 games.  

You keep Ohtani.  There is zero chance they get fair market value for him.  Trade for some pitching. You need some guys to come back like Neto and then if you get Trout, it's like getting an all-star in the heat of the race without losing anyone.  

This CAN happen.  Who's with me?

Its not about getting market value. What does that even mean in Ohtani's case? Its about getting something as opposed to getting nothing.

54 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

Its not about getting market value. What does that even mean in Ohtani's case? Its about getting something as opposed to getting nothing.

I'll take the two months, the AL MVP award, and the chance to convince him to come back over two middling young players and two young prospects.

They'll get a 2nd rounder if he leaves.

57 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Angels record when he plays says different 

Actually, there's been some data points presented on AW that says the same thing about Rengifo and his (at the time) .206 average somehow positively affecting our record.

Looks like the old adage about there are 'lies and then there's statistics" still holds true.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

They will need timely hitting, consistent starting pitching, the relievers holding steady and the defense to get better. Almost on a daily basis.

Maybe they do put it together for stretches, but even that is optimistic based on team weaknesses and current season performances. Returning roster players will help, but to what degree?  But to win with a two of every three game pace seems a mighty tough objective. 

As well, they will need at least a team or two ahead of them in the wild card race  to have a serious slump the rest of the way. Head to head play will be a factor, but more ground needs to be made up.

I try to reassess on a roughly week to week basis, depending on the scheduling.. Usually covering two series. By that measure they need to consistently win three of four series every two weeks to get on that kind of winning pace.  

16 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

Fortunately, they play many of the opponents that are ahead of them, so it makes it easier to make up ground

This is going to make or break them and should give Perry and Arte an idea of what they'll do with Ohtani ahead of the trade deadline. 

I've always been of the mind that if the Angels are out of it you have to have a conversation with Shohei Ohtani. Attempt to sign him, if he says he will not and wants to explore FA, then tell him that in the best interest of our ball club we're going to trade you and then make you our #1 free agent target in the offseason. Because we simply cannot let you walk without improving the future of this team that you may very well be a part of and I hope you'd understand that. 

4 hours ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

Actually, there's been some data points presented on AW that says the same thing about Rengifo and his (at the time) .206 average somehow positively affecting our record.

Looks like the old adage about there are 'lies and then there's statistics" still holds true.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

I never said tgere was a causal relationship 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is going to make or break them and should give Perry and Arte an idea of what they'll do with Ohtani ahead of the trade deadline. 

I've always been of the mind that if the Angels are out of it you have to have a conversation with Shohei Ohtani. Attempt to sign him, if he says he will not and wants to explore FA, then tell him that in the best interest of our ball club we're going to trade you and then make you our #1 free agent target in the offseason. Because we simply cannot let you walk without improving the future of this team that you may very well be a part of and I hope you'd understand that. 

Exactly.  In fact, that conversation should have already started.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

I'll take the two months, the AL MVP award, and the chance to convince him to come back over two middling young players and two young prospects.

They'll get a 2nd rounder if he leaves.

Nobody really knows players halos could get for Ohtani. He wants to play on a winner. Seattle fans had chant of come to Seattle what have laid back Angel fans done. Nothing that's what nothing where are signs for him to stay. This could be Angel's 8th straight losing season. If you were Ohtani and hate to lose, are you coming back or signing with Angels? What is best for Angel's as a team going forward? That should be only concern of Angel fans.