• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A little optimism…

Angels fan since 1971 here. As much as I love Ohtani and Trout (and to a much lesser extent, Rendon), it seems paying these three, representing over $1 billion in salary, is unsustainable. Paying these guys "what they're worth" is taking away huge chunks of salary in balancing the lineup with quality players.

I think those three need to be traded to balance the lineup, then we might see some consistency when it all gels. But with these three amigos, I'm afraid, as good as they look, the Angels are sunk.

29 minutes ago, Chico said:

Angels fan since 1971 here. As much as I love Ohtani and Trout (and to a much lesser extent, Rendon), it seems paying these three, representing over $1 billion in salary, is unsustainable. Paying these guys "what they're worth" is taking away huge chunks of salary in balancing the lineup with quality players.

I think those three need to be traded to balance the lineup, then we might see some consistency when it all gels. But with these three amigos, I'm afraid, as good as they look, the Angels are sunk.

Even if he waived his no-trade clause, I have a hard time seeing any realistic scenario in which Rendon could be traded.  The Angels would probably have to agree to pay 75%+ of his remaining contract and deal a couple of top prospects to get back even a marginally useful player. 

Think of it this way: if Rendon was on, say, the Tigers and they made it clear he was available in a trade, is there any scenario in which you'd want the Angels to get him? 

You guys are only good at seeing a dark side to everything. You took a thread about optimism and drug it through the same arguments of a dozen Ohtani threads. Focus, dorks, not every moment of the season is a problem that can't be solved.

I am really looking forward to Neto and O'Hoppe returning and sparking some life into the final months. 

Optimism: Not one or two but three possible long-term position players emerged for the Angels this year in O'Hoppe, Neto and, yes, Moniak (who will come back to earth, but looks like a good player). Who knows, maybe over the next couple months, Adell makes that four.

Detmers has recovered from whatever was wrong earlier in the season.

And...well, I'm all out.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Canning has done pretty well considering I really wasn’t counting on his being healthy, if that counts.

Wondering if Canning has some dead arm, as this is the most innings in a 3 month period that he’s pitched in a while.

Looking forward to seeing Moore, Neto, Drury, Rendon, and Joyce return real soon, what Adell can do, and Trout and O’Hoppe returning in mid-August.

If they keep Ohtani they obviously have the best chance to justify optimism for this season. Any winning streak likely needs Ohtani hot and productive. Also a signal to the fans that they haven't conceded. Not necessarily smart for the longer term, but trade options will likely be underwhelming. And the only realistic chance for salvaging a second half surge. 

I’d like to think Artie would consider it depending on the team’s record at the end of the month.  Maybe field some offers privately, talk to Ohtani himself.  Being respectful and asking if he’d like to be traded seems like it would garner some future credit.  

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Two possible scenarios:

Ohtani on a short and overloaded contract (3 years/$210 million)?

Ohtani to age 40 season (11 years/$525 million with opt outs after 2 or 3 years)?

I don't know if he'd go for it, but I like the idea of a short-term deal w Ohtani. Sell him on we were a playoff team prior to the injuries... 

2 minutes ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I'll try. Let's say Neto, Drury and Rendon are back Friday. We have Ohtani and Detmers going the first 2 game against Houston. I think it is possible we come out of the break rested and pissed off and take those first 2 games and draw a little closer to Houston.

Moore too for better late innings depth

3 minutes ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I'll try. Let's say Neto, Drury and Rendon are back Friday. We have Ohtani and Detmers going the first 2 game against Houston. I think it is possible we come out of the break rested and pissed off and take those first 2 games and draw a little closer to Houston.

If we come out of the gate hot and start getting healthy, we can make up some ground real fast with some wins against the Yankees and Astros. 

nobody has written off the padres and their record is quite a few games worse than ours. I really want the playoffs this year, and it could still could happen 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Two possible scenarios:

Ohtani on a short and overloaded contract (3 years/$210 million)?

Ohtani to age 40 season (11 years/$525 million with opt outs after 2 or 3 years)?

Other than Machado's opt-out midway through the contract he signed with the Orioles, is there another example of such a clause in a long-term contract?  Maybe there is, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.  I don't really see a reason a team would want to do something like that.

15 hours ago, Trendon said:

Is that lineup appealing?

We’re getting to the point with Rendon that he is what he is: injured or underperforming when healthy.

Ward has significantly regressed, and isn’t even hitting at a league average clip in a corner OF spot.

Moniak’s plate discipline is a real issue, and at best I think he’s still a platoon guy.

Yeah, I think Rendon is fine at #5 if you have a good producer following Trout and Ohtani. He can still work a count and put the ball in play nearly every time. I prefer Ohtani-Trout-Drury-Rendon since Trout isn't really walking as much anymore. 

Ward has been slightly above average for the last 35-40 games or so. He's lost his power, and that's a mystery. But he's floating around 10% BB and 14% K in that span. I like that lower in the lineup, not leading off. 

Not sure how you justify saying "at best" for Moniak. He's getting his first regular run. He's got a ton of swing and miss right now and very little BB, but he's got 1.7 WAR, 10 HR, and 28 RBI in 38 games. He plays great defense in all 3 OF spots. If he played the last 71 games like that, it'd be a 5 WAR season (Steamer). I doubt he does, but that's All-Star level production with where he's at right now. You can talk to me about the lefty-lefty part, but Nevin has given him a total of 13 ABs against lefties. 

25 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Yeah, I think Rendon is fine at #5 if you have a good producer following Trout and Ohtani. He can still work a count and put the ball in play nearly every time. I prefer Ohtani-Trout-Drury-Rendon since Trout isn't really walking as much anymore. 

Maybe they should try Rendon leadoff since he’s so good at working counts but isn’t slugging as much?

On the flip side, however, he’ll get less opportunities with RISP.

27 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Ward has been slightly above average for the last 35-40 games or so. He's lost his power, and that's a mystery. But he's floating around 10% BB and 14% K in that span. I like that lower in the lineup, not leading off. 

Ward’s biggest issue is he has been awful with RISP, even while his offense has ticked up the last 35-40 games. I don’t know how you solve that problem

29 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Not sure how you justify saying "at best" for Moniak. He's getting his first regular run. He's got a ton of swing and miss right now and very little BB, but he's got 1.7 WAR, 10 HR, and 28 RBI in 38 games. He plays great defense in all 3 OF spots. If he played the last 71 games like that, it'd be a 5 WAR season (Steamer). I doubt he does, but that's All-Star level production with where he's at right now. You can talk to me about the lefty-lefty part, but Nevin has given him a total of 13 ABs against lefties. 

His expected stats say that he’s not gonna have a 167 wRC+. He’s running a high BABIP and his plate discipline issues will catch up to him as pitchers throw him more pitches outside the zone.

His good defense and ability to hit mistakes will keep him in the majors, but he’s gotta clean up some of his plate discipline in order to find success once the league better adjusts to him.