• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A little optimism…

9 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angela sign him, it will be a “stupid, crippling contract.”  If they don’t sign him, it will be “stupid to let him walk for nothing.”  If they trade him, the return will be viewed as inadequate.

But if they don’t sign him, they’ll sign someone else to a stupid, crippling contract.

If they don’t sign him, it IS stupid to let him walk for nothing.

And if they don’t trade him, the compensation pick will be even more inadequate than any trade return they’d have gotten.

53 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Didn’t we win 8 in a row earlier this year?

damn you’re a bunch of whiners. This is supposed to be the optimism thread, LET US HAVE THIS. Angels make the playoffs in 2023, I believeeeee. 

No.

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

But if they don’t sign him, they’ll sign someone else to a stupid, crippling contract.

If they don’t sign him, it IS stupid to let him walk for nothing.

And if they don’t trade him, the compensation pick will be even more inadequate than any trade return they’d have gotten.

Does this mean if they trade him you will promise not to be critical of what they got back, as long as it’s better than a comp pick?

10 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, you have said you do not think Angel's will trade Ohtani. If halos are 8 games back or more, do you think Angel's should trade him? Do they just keep everyone and stand pat?

My man, how many times and different ways are you going to ask this question?

The man has answered your personal question at least 5 times and as recent as today.

Edited by REDneck

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, you have said you do not think Angel's will trade Ohtani. If halos are 8 games back or more, do you think Angel's should trade him? Do they just keep everyone and stand pat?

If you asking if they should or shouldn’t, that’s a whole different thing. I don’t know what they should do because I don’t have all the information they have. 

In general, when a team does something that I don’t understand or doesn’t make sense to me, I assume it’s because they have information I don’t have. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

In general, when a team does something that I don’t understand or doesn’t make sense to me, I assume it’s because they have information I don’t have. 

And that’s where you differ from a fan. 

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Unfortunately in the case of the Angels it's simply because the guys running the show are fucking up.

If you put aside the storylines about the Angels not making the playoffs (which is a big deal I know), is the following team in a much, much worse situation than the Dodgers? 

Moniak
Trout
Ohtani
Rendon
Drury
Ward
O'Hoppe
Adell/FA/Cabbage/Adams?
Neto

Ohtani
Sandoval
Detmers
Anderson
Canning
FA/Barria/Silseth/Bachman

This could be their lineup for the next 2 years. I don't see how that lineup isn't appealing to Ohtani as a short-term contender. And if he's going to look at our health problems, then why not look at other Judge and Stanton's health? Dodgers SPs? San Diego's or the Cubs record? 

The only situation I think is truly, truly appealing is going to LA and slotting between Mookie and Freeman, and leading the rotation with Kershaw, Miller, Buehler, and Gonsolin. But I like our roster at full strength (not farm, just roster) just as much as the Dodgers. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Does this mean if they trade him you will promise not to be critical of what they got back, as long as it’s better than a comp pick?

Yes.

I’d be shocked if they trade him, but the bar to beat with a comp pick is pretty low.

According to FanGraphs, a pick in the compensation range is typically a 40 or 40+ FV prospect, maybe 45 FV prospect max, when they’re drafted.

T100 prospects are 50 FV or higher, and I’m pretty sure you could get at least one T100 prospect in an Ohtani deal.

Unfortunately, the value they could’ve gotten back for him last year is a sunk cost now. So all they can do is get the best they can for him now, unless they go on a run the next two weeks before the deadline.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

I'd argue the dollars associated with the comp pick are possibly more important than the pick itself from a pure potential return on value pov.

Yeah, I’d agree with that. But I still think you get significantly more value by trading him then if you get the comp pick and the accompanying slot value.

27 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

The only situation I think is truly, truly appealing is going to LA and slotting between Mookie and Freeman, and leading the rotation with Kershaw, Miller, Buehler, and Gonsolin. But I like our roster at full strength (not farm, just roster) just as much as the Dodgers. 

Ohtani is smart, and I think he’d recognize that the Dodgers are better set up for sustainable winning beyond just the next few years.

And their ownership has shown a willingness to spend way over the luxury tax. Plus, I’d also imagine his brand and non-baseball revenues increase with the Dodgers.

Just now, Trendon said:

Yeah, I’d agree with that. But I still think you get significantly more value by trading him then if you get the comp pick and the accompanying slot value.

I don't really have an opinion on trading him, was just chiming in about the slot money seemingly being a bigger deal in the draft with the current setup than the pick itself given how teams can parlay those dollars into a better/more talented player somewhere else in the draft.

30 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This could be their lineup for the next 2 years. I don't see how that lineup isn't appealing to Ohtani as a short-term contender.

Is that lineup appealing?

We’re getting to the point with Rendon that he is what he is: injured or underperforming when healthy.

Ward has significantly regressed, and isn’t even hitting at a league average clip in a corner OF spot.

Moniak’s plate discipline is a real issue, and at best I think he’s still a platoon guy.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't really have an opinion on trading him, was just chiming in about the slot money seemingly being a bigger deal in the draft with the current setup than the pick itself given how teams can parlay those dollars into a better/more talented player somewhere else in the draft.

Sure, and I agree with that point.

The added pool money is of significant value, whether it’s being able to pay a sliding talent in R1 or R2, going overslot later, etc.

I think Ohtani ends up in Seattle next season. Just a hunch but Dodgers have winning tradition in playoffs every year. Seattle has strong rotation and with addition of Ohtani plus his bat in lineup would be huge. I will get crap from everyone on here but just stating my opinion on what I think will happen.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If you asking if they should or shouldn’t, that’s a whole different thing. I don’t know what they should do because I don’t have all the information they have. 

They do not trade Ohtani I can see that with Arte and all. Renfroe, Moore and others stay also if you are out of WC? Could Tyler Anderson be traded with many teams needing starters? If you're keeping everyone when out of race tells me you're not trying to improve team.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think Ohtani ends up in Seattle next season. Just a hunch but Dodgers have winning tradition in playoffs every year. Seattle has strong rotation and with addition of Ohtani plus his bat in lineup would be huge. I will get crap from everyone on here but just stating my opinion on what I think will happen.

I don't think he will end up in Seattle.  DiPoto was interested when the Angels signed him.  I think he saw it as a chance to get controlled years from him cheaply, then true to his form he could absolutely flip him for a big haul if he performed early on.  I don't think he wants to pay half a billion plus for him now, it takes away his flexibility for constantly moving players in and out of his organization.  I would be far more concerned about the Dodgers getting him.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Yes.

I’d be shocked if they trade him, but the bar to beat with a comp pick is pretty low.

According to FanGraphs, a pick in the compensation range is typically a 40 or 40+ FV prospect, maybe 45 FV prospect max, when they’re drafted.

T100 prospects are 50 FV or higher, and I’m pretty sure you could get at least one T100 prospect in an Ohtani deal.

Unfortunately, the value they could’ve gotten back for him last year is a sunk cost now. So all they can do is get the best they can for him now, unless they go on a run the next two weeks before the deadline.

Well OK then. 

If the Angels trade him you can help me explain that to everyone else who will be mad that they didn’t get 3 major leaguers and fix their entire farm system. 

19 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angela sign him, it will be a “stupid, crippling contract.”  If they don’t sign him, it will be “stupid to let him walk for nothing.”  If they trade him, the return will be viewed as inadequate.

Yep, the Angels always find a way to get screwed.

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What would you do if you had to make the decision?