• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trout is out for the year, I'm trading Ohtani

Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?

• Yes
    • And...yes, too

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

With the opinions you’ve shared this year regarding Trout forgive us if we laugh at you giving us advice on how to fan. 

I’ve given two opinions regarding Trout this year.  One that his struggles are due to poor swing mechanics and not decline, which has actually been validated.  And two, that he strikes out too much to truly be considered among the all time great hitters, who commanded the strike zone much better.  

Forgive me if I laugh at your pure ignorance if you disagree with either of those things.  But I laugh at you constantly and your dumbass opinions regularly do not much would change. There is nobody more frequently wrong on this board than you. 

Sadly, I can see the club trading Ohtani at the trade deadline. My logical mind does not see the team performing well enough this next month to remain in contention. The injuries are going to be just too debilitating. O'hoppe, Trout, Rendon, Neto, Drury, and Ohtani in and out with blisters. 

If it was my decision, I would have Ohtani go down with the ship and keep him to the bitter end. But this front office will have no such attachment.

10 minutes ago, T-angel said:

Sadly, I can see the club trading Ohtani at the trade deadline. My logical mind does not see the team performing well enough this next month to remain in contention. The injuries are going to be just too debilitating. O'hoppe, Trout, Rendon, Neto, Drury, and Ohtani in and out with blisters. 

If it was my decision, I would have Ohtani go down with the ship and keep him to the bitter end. But this front office will have no such attachment.

So your opinion about the front office is the exact opposite as every other fan.  I respect that level of devotion. 

9 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Is the sky falling in too?

Even if it's a broken bone, Trout will be swinging a bat again in the middle of August. A week of that absence will be for the All-star game; Moniak will cover half of Trout's missed games and he's doing pretty well; and Trout wasn't really himself this year at the plate: so how much of a loss is it really? One game lost? Two, three? Then add to that there is a fair chance that Trout comes back raking after his break and is fresh and revitalised at the plate.

And some of you want to trade the best bloody baseball player that has ever played the game? While he is having a career season? Performing at a level that has never been seen before?

Numpties.

Trout was still on pace for a near 6 WAR season, so let's not pretend this isn't a huge loss.

1 hour ago, larueskee said:

Trout was on pace for near 200 strikeouts this season before his injury. His injury might be the thing that gets the team into the playoffs. There, that is some positive spin.

That’s asinine. Well done. 

I'd rank the 2023 letdowns as follows:

1. Trout injury
  2. Trout slump/decline
  3. Rendon being Rendon
  4. O'Hoppe injury
  5. Ward being mediocre again
  6. Rengifo not building on last year
  7. Sandoval taking a step back
  8. Ohtani's pitching inconsistency
  9. Neto injury

Not saying that's the order of impact to the team, but what has hit me most viscerally.

I assume the Angels have discussed an extension with Ohtani's agent.  Have the Angels offered and been rebuffed?  Otherwise, make the best offer you're comfortable with and then add some sweeteners-- like periodic "opt out",  or whatever...  I don't know that anyone wants to trade him, but if you must, package Rendon as part of the deal. Play the contending teams with desirable prospects off of one another until a palatable deal is made.  

My updated thoughts a day later. The Angels still have a few weeks to decide, and that comes down to two things, in order:

1. If they right the ship and find a way to stay in it.
  2. If Trout is healing well and looks like he'll be on the shorter side of the 4-8 week window.

They still may not do it, but if both of those are in the negative they certainly should.

3 hours ago, larueskee said:

Was he not on pace to whiff 200 times? You do understand what a whiff does to an inning don't you? Been around baseball long?

Yes, but to pretend losing Trout is a positive thing it’s incredibly stupid. And no he wasn’t going to strike out 200 times. 

31 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My updated thoughts a day later. The Angels still have a few weeks to decide, and that comes down to two things, in order:

1. If they right the ship and find a way to stay in it.
  2. If Trout is healing well and looks like he'll be on the shorter side of the 4-8 week window.

They still may not do it, but if both of those are in the negative they certainly should.

Legitimate best case (<2% chance) is they sneak into last WC spot. They have neither the depth nor talent in the pen to compete in the post-season. Ohtani will walk. re-signing him would be likely catastrophic to the flexibility of the franchise in the future and it is incredibly unlikely he maintains $50M/year productivity for more than a couple/few seasons. Trading him and having a real chance to emulate the Braves in a year or 2 is the best medium and longterm decision.

12 minutes ago, Revad said:

I think the only way Ohtani gets traded involves him asking Artie to do it, and perhaps with a reassurance that he will consider resigning with the Angels.

I guess that’s possible….if things look pretty bleak in two weeks, he might not want to drag through another August and September out of contention….

8 hours ago, larueskee said:

Trout was on pace for near 200 strikeouts this season before his injury. His injury might be the thing that gets the team into the playoffs. There, that is some positive spin.

Trout lead the league in strikeouts the year he won his first MVP. You are looking at the wrong stat for an argument about Trout's value. 

3 hours ago, Paolo11 said:

I assume the Angels have discussed an extension with Ohtani's agent.  Have the Angels offered and been rebuffed?  Otherwise, make the best offer you're comfortable with and then add some sweeteners-- like periodic "opt out",  or whatever...  I don't know that anyone wants to trade him, but if you must, package Rendon as part of the deal. Play the contending teams with desirable prospects off of one another until a palatable deal is made.  

If I'm Ohtani I test FA. The most talented player ever to play this game. Does not mean Angels could not sign him in off season. He wants to play in playoffs and I do not see that happening with halos this year. Looks like 8th straight losing season for Angels (I hope I'm wrong and they make playoffs). So many injuries to key players. What kind of luck do they have. They trade for Urshela in case Rendon gets hurt and Gio out for season. Trade for a very good looking catcher and he gets hurt. Neto the long wait for a decent (he is good SS) shortstop and he gets hurt. Now Trout hurt again along with Rendon. Throw in middle of order bat in Drury and second best option out of BP in Matt Moore. So if halos 7 games or more back in WC I trade Ohtani. DH spot for Trout and others this year.