• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trout is out for the year, I'm trading Ohtani

Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?

• Yes
    • And...yes, too

1 hour ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

The Angels will not likely be in the playoffs during my lifetime regardless of who is on the roster. Annual key injuries will knock them down whenever they threaten as a contender.

Therefore, I want to enjoy the best player in the game on my team. It is the next best thing to the playoffs.

I don’t find it enjoyable to watch the best player in the game when the team he’s on sucks ass.  

I haven't read this thread yet, but a few comments before going back to page one. 

As of now, the team hasn't moved into a prime playoff contending position. Not terribly far back, but not trending upwards thanks to the current slump. And this with a healthy Trout and Ohtani. 

Though he was having a lesser season by his standards Trout still has been decently productive. More streaky than ever, but now we won't know how he might have finished the season on a team still with hopes to pull out a strong finish. 

The team is just once more devastated by injuries. Good or bad, it would have been nice to see them play out the season with mostly their ideal lineup. Depth is an issue of course, but even the deepest teams would have trouble losing critical key pieces long term. With O'Hoppe, Neto, Rendon, Trout all healthy and playing together they would resemble the team Perry expected. 

Ohtani is now much more isolated in the batting order. I doubt very much he maintains his historic pace at bat. And he probably will force things, trying to over compensate for Trout's loss. And be an easier target for pitchers to get him to chase. Plus being walked more often in critical situations. 

And pitching he may feel more pressure to keep the opposition from scoring. 

I would hate to see Ohtani in another uniform. Watching his whole career, including recovery from surgery, and lose him at his peak is going to be tough. But with free agency the player controls his future. 

It's really tempting to think of a trade package. In the long run it may help the Angels longer term if the return is right. But the image of the team will take it's worst hit in franchise history. Think of all the fans you see holding up Ohtani signs. Most likely they will just move onto his next team. And the one after if he moves again. Not to mention lost revenue from advertising and merchandising. 

If Trout's injury carries into the off-season, his longer term status will be an open question. Since Ohtani has played his whole career with Trout, maybe that unknown future may also swing his decision even more in the direction of leaving. 

Most thought Trout would go to the Phillies. But the dynamics now are very different. Ohtani though seems to be an open and  independent thinker. With his own priorities and comfort zone. The Dodgers seem the obvious long term choice, but that would contradict Ohtani's sense of loyalty more than signing with any other franchise. He knows about the rivalry and marketplace. 

To sum up. I think the Angels trade him if a great offer comes along. And given their roster flaws it might be smart to trade him if the deal covers key needs. But I'd not be surprised if they hang on if the offers aren't tempting enough.  A few more months of Ohtani watching will still generate income and maybe create history. 

2 minutes ago, full circle said:

The odds that Ohtani is gonna be worth what he gets is just about zero.  One player just cannot compensate for four or five other holes in the roster.  You’d think some fans would’ve learned their lesson by now.  

With the opinions you’ve shared this year regarding Trout forgive us if we laugh at you giving us advice on how to fan. 

18 minutes ago, full circle said:

When the roster isn’t good enough to win a World Series you look to trade pieces of value who aren’t gonna be part of your next potential World Series contender.  Call it what you want.  

How do you know if the roster is good enough to win the World Series?

It’s much more sensible to measure if you think you can get into the postseason, where LOTS and LOTS of times the “best” team on paper doesn’t win it.

So why not add an impact player to this team and try to win?

9 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Ohtani would bring a massive haul back even in a rental. He is an ace and a middle of the order bat all in one. I wouldn’t compare him to previous deadline deals. 

This is not the consensus of some on the board. I'm somewhere in the middle. I think they can get more than some are suggesting, but a massive haul? Idk?

If you can get a massive haul, then you have to trade him. It really just depends on the package you can get for him. I don't think there is any right answers at this exact moment.

As a previous poster mentioned Minasian needs to be at the least listening to offers at this point and not wait until we get right at the deadline.

21 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Ohtani would bring a massive haul back even in a rental. He is an ace and a middle of the order bat all in one. I wouldn’t compare him to previous deadline deals. 

Show me the last “haul” a rental brought in.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Show me the last “haul” a rental brought in.  

So on the acquiring side, a team would have to have a stellar farm system AND be willing to trade most of what they have for Ohtani.

From the Angels perspective, the only way Ohtani should be traded is if the team falls on its face completely over the next couple of weeks (like losing 12 of 15) AND Ohtani tells the Angels definitely that he has decided that he will not sign with the team as a free agent.

That’s basically all the planets lining up.

It’s not happening, no matter how badly all the Chicken Littles want to take another addicted drag off the misery pipe.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels just lost a guy hitting .263 with 18 homers for 6-8 weeks.

Tons of time before the trade deadline to hunt for a deal to help the team.

The sky is falling. 

He's been his normal self the last two weeks, so yes, the sky is falling.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well you say something that is no longer true in the sport. I ask you to support that with a recent history.  Just say you can’t and we can move a long. 

Marte getting the Marlins Luzardo. 

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Being realistic about the Angels is the same as being fearful? 

It’s not being “realistic” to conclude things you cannot know, like this team is doomed now that Trout is out for awhile.

That’s not really rational.  

It is overreacting.

Any team can collapse.  I am not guaranteeing the team is going to thrive.  I am merely saying the team needs its depth to step up, and it is just as realistic to react by pursuing some additional talent to acquire to address the situation.

Most championship teams win because they get some production from some unexpected places.

I don’t want to be a fan of a team that knew-jerk punts in this situation.  There is a lot of baseball left.

Compete.