• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who's still in there?

Show yourself. No shame.

A lot of baseball left, the whole second half of the season. I'm not impressed, but maybe you are?

Make a case.

Edit: I guess I should of been clearer about my question as this thread has gone off the rails.

I'm asking how much hope do you have for the remainder of this season? I'm not questioning anybody's fandom.

Edited by REDneck

I'm in on what I think the team is capable of so I'll be cheering like I always do for them to find their stride and play like I've seen possible at times.  It's there for them to win more games than they have so far (on a prorated basis).  There's enough talent to make the playoffs.  They could use a little help and so recovery from injury would be nice as well.  So sure.  I'm still in.  

What's the downside of not being in?  It's not going to change anything.  It's still gonna suck if they lose.  Maybe it sucks a bit less?  

5 hours ago, NrM said:

A better question would be will you still be here when Ohtani leaves.

Not much reason to watch outside of Trout. 

Maybe you haven't been paying attention this year. Neto, O'Hoppe, Moniak, Estevez, even the revitalised Thaiss have been great fun to watch this year, and they will all likely be better players next year.

Plenty of reasons to watch this Angels team outside of Trout and Ohtani.

This is the best Angels team in several years. Do I think they should have a few more wins than they do? Definitely. But I bet even Rays and Braves fans are saying that about their team. 

It's July and my favorite team has a winning record. If I couldn't appreciate that, I would stop following baseball. 

Also, I was an Angels fan before Ohtani and I will be one after Ohtani, whether that is 12 weeks from now or 12 years. 

I guess I need to clarify this post, as it seems some are misinterpreting it. I'm not asking if you're going to remain an Angel fan in the future. I'm asking how much hope you have for the remainder of this season?

9 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

I'm an Angels fan so I won't be going anywhere, for good or bad.

Case closed. 

A true fan sticks with his/her team through the tough times, slumps and years of misery. 

There's always something good around the corner, but you truly cannot appreciate the blessings until you go through the trials. 

9 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I guess I need to clarify this post, as it seems some are misinterpreting it. I'm not asking if you're going to remain an Angel fan in the future. I'm asking how much hope you have for the remainder of this season?

My hope on the season runs out when they're near elimination or officially eliminated. 

10 minutes ago, REDneck said:

2GB out of the wild card. If you dont have hope at this point of the season, you are likely miserable watching this team. I would suggest finding a hobby to take up that time. 

Edited by James

I have lot of hope. I hope Neto, Drury, Moore comeback soon. I hope Trout gets hot. I hope Ohtani stays hot. I hope at deadline we find a starter and BP help. I hope to see O'Hoppe in September. I hope T.G. takes me off ignore after all hope is a good thing. I hope I hope. 

31 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Maybe re-edit your original post as exactly zero people understood what you were trying to ask. 

Just a comment on the economics of going to games. . .

When I was young I would go to 25-35 games a year.  I think I hit 40 one year.

$12 ticket, parking, food and drinks maybe would end up being $40.

$40 times 30 games is $1200 a year.

I have been to one game this year.  It was the Ohtani 493 foot bomb game.  Other than that homer, most would say that game was miserable.

Except we all had a great night.

Took the family and both kids brought someone, so we were a party of six.

Terrace 207, $25 tickets.  Paid the fees so I was in for like $200 on the tickets.  After drinks, food, parking, a couple of $21 helmet nachos, $18 margaritas, whatever, the night cost about $450.

($25 ticket seems pretty fair when the last movie I went to was $18 per person.)

If I go twice a year like that I am spending less than what is spent in the old days per year.

But the point is when you go a couple times a year, it’s more of an event.  Baseball has gone this direction for a few reasons.

They market to a wider crowd so that they still achieve the same overall attendance with people going once or twice a year rather than the same fans going 25 times a year.

People buy far more souvenirs when they go once or twice.

I probably would have complained about that particular game sucking if I was going to 2 games a week.  It didn’t suck because it was a fun event to go with the family.

Going to a game with people you care about and having fun can be helpful in resetting why you are a fan.  It’s supposed to fun.

The team doesn’t have to win the World Series to enjoy being a fan.

I am as capable as anybody of getting annoyed and having frustration over what has happened over the last decade.

But things are trending in the right direction and I am still here, and enjoying a night at the ballpark with my family at a game that “sucked.”

I‘m not going anywhere.

If injuries don't devastate again they should be in the fight till the last week or so. And maybe, just maybe, have a memorable finish that gets them in. And in a short series, their chances are as good as anyone. 

So there should be more interest in the second half than the first. And an actual chance for the playoffs is a recent novelty that should maintain interest.

Last year the baseball focus was in Judge as much as the teams. If Ohtani continues at this pace many will watch the team just to see him. 

If they fade from contention then there will be constant rumors and debates about the future. Which is another form of caring about the team. 

Personally, I've checked off all the bucket lists of my sports interests starting when I was a kid.

Going to a number of Angel games the last decade was the second last in my list. The last thing was going to a home USC game. I've been a fan since the O.J. Simpson era. I finally got so see them kill Notre Dame in 2016 and eke out a one point win over Utah the next year. The Sam Darnold years.

Other things. Growing up in Montreal I saw about fifteen Stanley Cup wins. I went to maybe a hundred plus games including playoffs and lots of parades. I saw the Expos from their first game till the early eighties. And was at the 1982 all star game. Plenty of games at Jarry Park and Olympic Stadium. As a Forty Niner fan I only saw one game in person, but it was in the nineties when they were always a Super Bowl contender. I was at a practice earlier in the week and got autographs from Steve Young and Jerry Rice. I also was at a Forty Niner training camp for a few days with a group, which was great fun. Not much of a basketball fan, but I saw the Lakers a couple of times. Besides being a lifelong Montreal Canadiens fan I've taken a casual interest in the Ducks, and have been to a couple of games in Anaheim. Currently both teams are in rebuild hell, so no expectations for a while

So no matter how bad a season goes, I'll still maintain loyalty and interest. And curiosity about what comes next. But after years of being a fan, and living through the highest and lowest moments the emotional quotient is much lower than it was when younger. Winning is still enjoyable, losing is frustrating, but in a more detached way.