• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from the Rockies for Connor van Scoyoc

mmc

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I meant long term...

My guesses would be

Moose>>Padlo
Rendon>>Squid
Neto>>Rengifo

I think it’s moose for Padlo, Rendon for Rengifo, Neto for Squid.

3 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Would they be making these moves if Neto and Rendon were coming back soon?

Would not be shocked if both are out many more weeks if not all year.

Weeks maybe but not the rest of the year….although with Rendon, you don’t assume anything….

Van Scoyoc is one of those pitchers we knew early on would be a major leaguer, based on size, stuff, demeanor, etc.. But he's had a terrible time with mechanics and finding the plate. He's be a big league reliever someday. 

Moose is a good hitter and makes this a deeper team in multiple ways. Obviously, it seems he'll be seeing the majority of starts at 1B. He's yet another option at 3B and 2B too on a team loaded with those. And he deepens the lineup significantly. When you've got guys like Moose, Escobar and Renfroe hitting 6-7-8 in your lineup, you've got some depth. 

Ok update with depth chart

1B: Moustakas, Drury, Escobar, Renfroe

2B: Drury, Rengifo, Fletcher, Escobar, Moustakas

SS: Fletcher, Rengifo, Velasquez

3B: Escobar, Moustakas, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury

- When Rendon returns, he goes to 3B, Escobar moves to super utility (plays 80% of the time, just at different positions). 

- When Neto returns, he goes to SS, Velasquez is gone, Fletcher goes to strict bench role as a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. Rengifo likely gone too.

1. LF Ward 2. DH Ohtani 3. CF Trout 4. 2B Drury 5. C Thaiss 6. RF Renfroe 7. 3B Escobar 8. 1B Moustakas 9. SS Fletcher

Edited by Second Base

32 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I think it should be noted that Perry more or less replaced Urshela and Walsh without any meaningful payroll increase. These guys keep deadline deals viable.

Aroldis Chapman next?
Like Escobar and Moose, on expiring contract in 2023 (only owed $2 million now)

Did the Halos take the risk in trading Crow because of the recent elbow injury (possible TJS)?   Been out since mid-May

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Looks to me like we can expect Renfroe to go back to the outfield, with Moose coming in to play 1B and Moniak goes back to a 4th OF role, rather than a platoon role. 

If Renfroe/Moniak/Ward get 2/3 of the starts each I’m ok with it. Especially if they get an occasional start in CF too, with Ttout at DH or off and Renfroe a start at 1B. 

Perry wasn’t going to sit around and let some AAA depth guys fill in while the season went down the toilet, at least he’s trying and you can tell he cares. If a couple minor league pitchers that won’t contribute for 3-4 years is the price we have to pay to stay in the race, so be it…

im sure it also puts a little bit of a shot into the clubhouse when you see the GM believes in the group and is willing to invest in it, even when it feels like the wheels are starting to come off. 

30 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Would they be making these moves if Neto and Rendon were coming back soon?

Would not be shocked if both are out many more weeks if not all year.

What their injuries have shown is that despite having the best depth they've had in years, it still wasn't enough. 

It makes sense to add Escobar and moose because it makes them better now, gives them better depth, and allows them to potentially be more cautious with Neto and rendon.

Urshela is out for the season and he was a crucial depth piece. Moose essentially is his replacement. Escobar to me is just an extra depth add. When they lost urshela it really hurt they need to have more guys not just for now, but moving forward this season.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

I think it should be noted that Perry more or less replaced Urshela and Walsh without any meaningful payroll increase. These guys keep deadline deals viable

that’s what I’m kinda telling myself to feel better about losing Crow. It probably enabled Perry to have NYM pay all of Escobar’s salary, and it’s giving us the financial flexibility to make more/bigger moves in July. In that context, it’s a little easier to let Crow go in that deal.

20 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I hope this doesn't mean Neto had a set back.

It seems like he will be getting a lot of the 1st base starts with Drury at second, since they optioned Walsh. Escobar is the new Urshela. Rengifo is lucky nobody else can cover SS besides Velasquez otherwise he would be DFA’d next 

Angels must think Rendon's stay on the injured list is going to be a prolonged one. And/or they've finally given up on him ever providing consistent value even when healthy. Probably, same for Walsh getting out of his funk. I like the move, the Angels are covering their asses. I originally thought the Drury signing was terrible this offseason, but now I get it, we would really be in a bad spot if not for Brandon's availability and performance this year.