• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from the Rockies for Connor van Scoyoc

mmc

9 hours ago, disarcina said:

Moustakas signed that one year deal with. Milwaukee after KC did not re-sign him. He never played for San Diego. Drifted  to Cincinnati and then wound up  Colorado this year.  Moustakas played his high school ball in S. California (Camarillo) so it's sort of a homecoming - I thought Nevin missed a perfect opportunity to pinch hit Moustakas for Rengifo in the 9th inning today.

I was wondering that also. Nevin sent Rengifo to PH for Velazquez. Seemed like good spot for the Moose.

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I wasn’t there this weekend so I don’t have anything beyond what was reported in the stories that are already posted here. 

You missed an epic game.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I wasn’t there this weekend so I don’t have anything beyond what was reported in the stories that are already posted here. 

Jeff, I'm curious would Minasian approach Mets and Rockies about Escobar and Moose. Would they approach Minasian first. Just curious how some deals get started.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Yep, its likely as much to do with keeping the clubhouse believing they are all in as it does anything else.  They had back to back shut-outs after losing two players, they bring in help from outside.  You have to think the clubhouse respects that.

Angels superstar Mike Trout said the moves brought some energy to the clubhouse, as it shows the club is serious about contending this season in its aim to make the postseason for the first time since 2014 and in the last year of Shohei Ohtani’s contract.

“Perry and Phil [Nevin] are doing a great job because we had some guys get banged up and we brought in some guys who can make an impact,” Trout said. “That’s just how Perry is. We’re in this thing. The guys feel it and it’s fun to be a part of.” 

19 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, I'm curious would Minasian approach Mets and Rockies about Escobar and Moose. Would they approach Minasian first. Just curious how some deals get started.

From the Mets MLB dot com beat writer:

“Rather than continue to use Escobar in a part-time platoon role, the Mets sprung into action when the Angels called to inquire about corner infielders. The sides worked out concepts late this week before agreeing Friday to a structure that would net the Mets both Crow and Marceaux in exchange for Escobar”

With Escobar trade, Mets focused on 'long-term build'

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

From the Mets MLB dot com beat writer:

“Rather than continue to use Escobar in a part-time platoon role, the Mets sprung into action when the Angels called to inquire about corner infielders. The sides worked out concepts late this week before agreeing Friday to a structure that would net the Mets both Crow and Marceaux in exchange for Escobar”

With Escobar trade, Mets focused on 'long-term build'

I always wonder who makes the first call.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, disarcina said:

sounds like Halos will have some infielders/. corners to trade. for. some pen depth help at. deadline time,.

Moustakas not a bad pick up -- what's his contract,? seems like only yesterday her left KC and signed a pret ty good. sized contract with San Diego?   Things did not go. well for him there and. he wound up in Colorado via Cincinnati and perhaps a stop in Milwaukee -- these guys move around so much hard to. keep track.

is Moose in the line. up today. --  game just started.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, disarcina said:

Moustakas signed that one year deal with. Milwaukee after KC did not re-sign him. He never played for San Diego. Drifted  to Cincinnati and then wound up  Colorado this year.  Moustakas played his high school ball in S. California (Camarillo) so it's sort of a homecoming - I thought Nevin missed a perfect opportunity to pinch hit Moustakas for Rengifo in the 9th inning today.

Passed on the Royals Qualifying offer, signed a 1 /6.5 with Milwaukee...then He signed a 4/64 deal with the Reds, don't think that's drifting. They cut him when things didn't go well, so Colorado didn't pay him more than the minimum. 

He went to Chatsworth High in the San Fernando Valley. Not Camarillo. Moustakas attended Chatsworth High School in Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, where he was a four-year starter in baseball. During that time he helped Chatsworth to a 124–11 record, including four West Valley League championships, and two California Interscholastic Federation city titles. Moustakas was voted "Player of the Year" by Cal-Hi Sports in both his sophomore and junior years.[3] His 52 career home runs in high school are a California prep state record.[4]

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

About 34 days till trade deadline what would halos biggest need be? 

It seems to change every week. I was saying a starter a couple weeks ago, but now the starters are all improving, so maybe it's a bat. And every team can use more relievers.

In other words, ask me in about 28 days.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

They also lead the AL in Runs Scored in June. 

To be fair that Colorado game skews that a bit.

I'd still lean on pitching as a trade target. But I wouldn't mind bringing in a bat...

No idea what to expect from Moustakas. Thaiss could revert. Trout can continue to scuffle. Etc etc

Then again, there's a very good chance trout wakes up, and renfroe finally does too.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It seems to change every week. I was saying a starter a couple weeks ago, but now the starters are all improving, so maybe it's a bat. And every team can use more relievers.

In other words, ask me in about 28 days.

Obviously it's all speculation, but if you were to guess, where would you think they'd be looking to improve at bat wise?

The bullpen can and always will need to be upgraded. As good as Soriano, Bachman, Webb, and Joyce may be, it’ll make them so much stronger if they have the ability to keep those guys fresh with an additional vet reliever. The offense and rotation needs seem to ebb and flow, but, bringing in at least one more good reliever would be huge. 

I like how they addressed with the offense with the Escobar and Moustakas moves, but they really need Trout to find his groove, Neto to return and can’t afford any other long-term injuries. But I think smaller, raise-the-floor moves (catcher? OF/1B? Bellinger?) could be sufficient if Trout and Neto and Rendon are in the mix. 

The rotation badly needs either a steady #3-4 guy to bump Anderson/Barria down a peg, or someone like a Giolito or Flaherty that can give you a big game behind Shohei in a playoff series. That’s a lot of pressure to put on Detmers and Sandoval scares the hell out of me in big games.

And on a side-note, I have a feeling Moustakas is gonna wind up being a huge addition. Dude seems absolutely thrilled to be an Angel, and like he has truly wanted to be here for awhile, and just has that vibe that he’s gonna click here and come up with some big hits. 

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Obviously it's all speculation, but if you were to guess, where would you think they'd be looking to improve at bat wise?

1B seems like the easiest spot but they really have so many guys who can play so many positions that they could basically fit in a bat at any position except CF. They probably also couldn’t get a 3B who only plays 3B because presumably someday Rendon will be healthy and he can’t play anywhere else. 

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

The bullpen can and always will need to be upgraded. As good as Soriano, Bachman, Webb, and Joyce may be, it’ll make them so much stronger if they have the ability to keep those guys fresh with an additional vet reliever. The offense and rotation needs seem to ebb and flow, but, bringing in at least one more good reliever would be huge. 

I like how they addressed with the offense with the Escobar and Moustakas moves, but they really need Trout to find his groove, Neto to return and can’t afford any other long-term injuries. But I think smaller, raise-the-floor moves (catcher? OF/1B? Bellinger?) could be sufficient if Trout and Neto and Rendon are in the mix. 

The rotation badly needs either a steady #3-4 guy to bump Anderson/Barria down a peg, or someone like a Giolito or Flaherty that can give you a big game behind Shohei in a playoff series. That’s a lot of pressure to put on Detmers and Sandoval scares the hell out of me in big games.

And on a side-note, I have a feeling Moustakas is gonna wind up being a huge addition. Dude seems absolutely thrilled to be an Angel, and like he has truly wanted to be here for awhile, and just has that vibe that he’s gonna click here and come up with some big hits. 

Joyce didn't really look that great before his injury, and all of the guys you mentioned are rather unproven in the long-term.  They can, of course, continue to be good, but it'd be nice to add another arm to that mix..

Someone to keep an eye on might be Hader.  The Padres are surprisingly fading away, further and further out of the playoff race.  I highly doubt they'd trade away anyone who they have control of beyond this year, as they are likely to compete again next year, but it's possible they could look at trading a pending free agent, such as Hader.

Adding Hader would be a huge addition to this pen, should he become available, and I imagine the cost wouldn't be THAT high, as even the best relievers don't cost too much for just a 2 month rental.