• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from the Rockies for Connor van Scoyoc

mmc

21 minutes ago, T-angel said:

So the Angels play the Rockies on Sunday, does that mean Moustakas is going to be available to play for the Angels that day? That has to be so surreal to be in one dugout one night and then play against your previous team in the opposite dugout the next day. 

May 30, 1922. Cliff Heathcote of the Cardinals and Max Flack of the Cubs played in the first game of a doubleheader. In the second game, Heathcote was playing for the Cubs, and Flack was playing for the Cardinals, having been traded between games.

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

It seems like he will be getting a lot of the 1st base starts with Drury at second, since they optioned Walsh. Escobar is the new Urshela. Rengifo is lucky nobody else can cover SS besides Velasquez otherwise he would be DFA’d next 

David Fletcher played SS and went 4 for 6 in his first game back.

He had less than 20 At Bats before he was sent down this year.  He won't be sent down again.

Obviously, he doesn't want to go through what they went through last year when guys got hurt and they had a historically bad 5-9 spots in the lineup. This was the 4-9 in the lineup on the Sunday day game at the Big A a year ago.

4. MacKinnon

5. Walsh

6. Stassi

7. Duffy

8. Rengifo

9. Harrison

I don't think this move has anything to do with Neto. Of course I could be wrong.

I think he is meant to replace Walsh (duh) and get some reps at 3rd because we just have no fucking clue what's going to happen to Rendon.

Either way, Perry isn't fucking around. He's clearly trying to keep the lineup from turning into the garbage we saw last season. We got a glimpse of that the last few days or so and Minasian is like John Lewis GIF by GIPHY News

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Van Scoyoc is one of those pitchers we knew early on would be a major leaguer, based on size, stuff, demeanor, etc.. But he's had a terrible time with mechanics and finding the plate. He's be a big league reliever someday. 

Moose is a good hitter and makes this a deeper team in multiple ways. Obviously, it seems he'll be seeing the majority of starts at 1B. He's yet another option at 3B and 2B too on a team loaded with those. And he deepens the lineup significantly. When you've got guys like Moose, Escobar and Renfroe hitting 6-7-8 in your lineup, you've got some depth. 

Ok update with depth chart

1B: Moustakas, Drury, Escobar, Renfroe

2B: Drury, Rengifo, Fletcher, Escobar, Moustakas

SS: Fletcher, Rengifo, Velasquez

3B: Escobar, Moustakas, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury

- When Rendon returns, he goes to 3B, Escobar moves to super utility (plays 80% of the time, just at different positions). 

- When Neto returns, he goes to SS, Velasquez is gone, Fletcher goes to strict bench role as a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. Rengifo likely gone too.

1. LF Ward 2. DH Ohtani 3. CF Trout 4. 2B Drury 5. C Thaiss 6. RF Renfroe 7. 3B Escobar 8. 1B Moustakas 9. SS Fletcher

I think all of this could be true, but I think Perry recognizes that the odds of everything being healthy at the same time is .. perhaps somewhat unlikely?  Rendon keeps getting hurt (though obviously the last one was not his fault), and it seems inevitable that someone else probably will - just the nature of the game.  So I think that is why we are seeing all these little moves - better to have too much talent, and then try to figure out how to shift the pieces, than the opposite.

That said, should everyone be healthy at relatively the same time, I agree with your assessment, though I think we'll see Fletcher optioned before they let go of Rengifo.  They will likely try to maintain as much depth as possible, and while Fletcher has an option (or can even be DFA'd and sent back to the minors as we just saw), Rengifo cannot.

I give Perry credit for doing what he can to help this team win.  Moose is obviously an upgrade over Padlo.  Not exciting, but he can play 1B/3B, provide a LHH, and essentially serve as a serviceable MLB option.

I agree with others that it hurts to see some MILB depth traded, but I think we actually are in fairly good shape in terms of both controllable MLB pitching depth and MILB minor league depth.  Ohtani is a wildcard, but Ohtani aside, we have Sandoval, Detmers, Anderson, Canning, and even Barria - all controllable for multiple years.  Bush, Silseth, Mederos, and Koch are all promising prospects as well.  While it always hurts to trade MILB depth, I think the quality of arms we parted with can be somewhat easily replaced.

I give Minasian credit for going all out trying to improve team. INF depth with Moose, Escobar and Fletcher helps for now. Have no idea when Rendon or Neto will be back. Biggest need is now BP. Devenski seems to have hit the wall. Bridge yo closer very weak right now. I like recent moves by GM trying to keep halos in race.

23 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I give Minasian credit for going all out trying to improve team. INF depth with Moose, Escobar and Fletcher helps for now. Have no idea when Rendon or Neto will be back. Biggest need is now BP. Devenski seems to have hit the wall. Bridge yo closer very weak right now. I like recent moves by GM trying to keep halos in race.

Matt Moore is days away from being activated. Thank god 

6 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Obviously, he doesn't want to go through what they went through last year when guys got hurt and they had a historically bad 5-9 spots in the lineup. This was the 4-9 in the lineup on the Sunday day game at the Big A a year ago.

4. MacKinnon

5. Walsh

6. Stassi

7. Duffy

8. Rengifo

9. Harrison

I have no idea what to expect from Moustakas, but this is spot on. 

Losing Urshela was a bigger hit than a lot of people realize. Not because he was a stud, but because he was able to fill in for Neto, or Rendon, or Walsh.

Now we need to cover all 3 of those guys, and Urshela.

That lineup you posted isn't that far off.

I like it.  We have a need to get offense from 1B.  Moose is making the ML minimum, or close to it, with the Reds paying the balance of that contract.  

Fletch is back, and had a good game yesterday.  Escobar scored four times yesterday, and got a couple of hits.  

Depth is a good thing. 

7 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I’ll never forget that dude who wouldn’t stop proposing the angels trade for him. That was what like 12 years ago now?

Only you would make the statement that you would “never forget” something and then go on to ask details about that thing indicating you in fact do not remember specifics about the thing.

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, this. It is almost like the traded for Escobar out of desperation, and then lined up who they really wanted and paid less for him.

I think Escobar actually is also being eyed to take Urshela's role for next season, too, given that Urshela is a FA.  He has an option for 9mil next year and effectively can serve as 3B/2B insurance.  It is unlikely Rendon will ever play a majority of a season, given all the health issues he has had, so it makes sense to have a solid backup in place.  Escobar will ensure that for us next year.

So in that context, I think that's a decent acquisition.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

The downfall of this team for years has been having terrible depth, which is always exposed over the course of a full season unless you have stunningly good health, which few teams do.

Minasian did a solid job of building infield depth, but a wave of injuries have struck (once again), and we were basically being forced to trot out subpar replacements.  Acquiring Escobar and Moose, at least, provides us with replacement level or better players.

I'm a bit interested to see if Fletcher has improved his approach at all in the minors as well.  He started off poorly but has been rather solid since his slow start.