• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Admittedly, total emotional post here...

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

I cant give tangibles.  I can just tell you that when the game was in the line it seemed very rare when one of the rwo didnt come up with a big hit.

Ortiz HR against Washburn

Manny Grand Slam against Frankie.  Those two situation come off the top of my head.

2 situations and that makes it "seem" like they carry the team? So, a player has to hit a game winner to "carry" the team?

It’s just the same old script. Change the manger. Pitching coach. Hitting coach. GM. Hot dog vendor. Etc. Nothing is different. 

Sign a vet that produced the previous year(s)… he’s subpar or injured. 

Get hot and go on a sustained streak… a big losing streak is next. 

Player A gets hot, gets injured. Comes back half the player he was. 

Player B gets called up. Plays great. Gets hurt. Sent down when he returns because he crashes back to Earth. 

Score double digit runs on a Friday. Get shutout on a Saturday. 

Pitchers throw lights out. Batters cold as ice. 

Batters hitting everything. Pitchers throwing everything that gets hit. 

Score 9 runs. Give up 11. 

I don’t even expect big things anymore. I see us up by 6 in the 3rd inning and I think to myself will we win? 

Trout with RISP is hitting .211 with a .774 OPS this season.

Ohtani with RISP is hitting .347 with a .962 OPS this season.

Ohtani has more than handled his business with RISP but Trout is struggling this year and it is fair criticism to point out. With that said, for his career Trout hits .311 with a 1.071 OPS with RISP so I'd imagine he turns it around to some degree for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Trout with RISP is hitting .211 with a .774 OPS this season.

Ohtani with RISP is hitting .347 with a .962 OPS this season.

Ohtani has more than handled his business with RISP but Trout is struggling this year and it is fair criticism to point out. With that said, for his career Trout hits .311 with a 1.071 OPS with RISP so I'd imagine he turns it around to some degree for the rest of the season.

Most Angel fans only care about this season.  Career numbers are for historians.

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

Most Angel fans only care about this season.  Career numbers are for historians.

10 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Mantle career stats show 1710 strikeouts vs. 2410 hits.  (71%) 1509 RBI's  (88% RBI to Strikeout).

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

I was only using career stats to achieve a baseline %.  If I cherry picked individual  years, the number would be skewed even more.  But most people get that.

Ok, historian. 

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ok, historian. 

12 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

No worries.  Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.  Every student progresses at different rates.

People love to chuck darts at the bulls eye that is your face..I wonder why?

Edited by REDneck

On 5/28/2023 at 4:07 PM, T.G. said:

2 situations and that makes it "seem" like they carry the team? So, a player has to hit a game winner to "carry" the team?

Uh, yes, they have to come through in the clutch to carry the team.  They have to make big plays. 

I know your butthurt by criticism on Trout in Ohtani.   I am just tired of people saying "they have two of the greatest players in history" and still lose.  Neither of them has carried the team like Vladdy did his MVP year.

Although its unfair for Trout because for most of his tenure they hasnt been enough supporting cast to enable him to carry the team.

Edited by stormngt

On 5/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, T.G. said:

@stormngt, I think when fans follow players like Ohtani and Trout every day, they take them for granted and their expectations get out of whack.

Distinctly possible.  They are great players.  I am making observations over the longterm of the careers.

Nobody comes through every time. It’s like those who love to point out that Albert holds the GIDP record but don’t acknowledge that he’s top 5 ever in extra base hits and RBI. Understand that a hitter is much more likely to fail in any given situation then you can appreciate when he wins the battle 

On 5/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Docwaukee said:

now you're just making stuff up.  Trout ranks 32nd in k rate for qualified players.  Shohei ranks 79th.  Neither which is 'obscenely' high by any means.  

The Angels 2-3 spots have a 194 wRC+ in high leverage.  4th in baseball.  They have a 122 wRC+ with RISP.  avg. is 100.  They have a 155 wRC+ with runners on base.  3rd in baseball.  

you should stop.  

I’m going to believe the stats, but watching them game in game out, there seem to be more and more times where they don’t pass the eye test. 

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Uh, yes, they have to come through in the clutch to carry the team.  They have to make big plays. 

I know your butthurt by criticism on Trout in Ohtani.   I am just tired of people saying "they have two of the greatest players in history" and still lose.  Neither of them has carried the team like Vladdy did his MVP year.

Although its unfaur for Trout because fir most of his tenure they hasnt been enough supporting cast to enable him to carry the team.

Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

On 5/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, Sho Way That Was A Strike said:

It’s just the same old script. Change the manger. Pitching coach. Hitting coach. GM. Hot dog vendor. Etc. Nothing is different. 

Sign a vet that produced the previous year(s)… he’s subpar or injured. 

Get hot and go on a sustained streak… a big losing streak is next. 

Player A gets hot, gets injured. Comes back half the player he was. 

Player B gets called up. Plays great. Gets hurt. Sent down when he returns because he crashes back to Earth. 

Score double digit runs on a Friday. Get shutout on a Saturday. 

Pitchers throw lights out. Batters cold as ice. 

Batters hitting everything. Pitchers throwing everything that gets hit. 

Score 9 runs. Give up 11. 

I don’t even expect big things anymore. I see us up by 6 in the 3rd inning and I think to myself will we win? 

Angels' curse: https://sabr.org/journal/article/of-witches-hexes-and-plain-bad-luck-the-reputed-curse-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim/

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

know your butthurt by criticism on Trout in Ohtani

Was that really necessary?

I'm not hurt at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this notion of them not being "clutch" is misplaced, IMO. Again, fans have unrealistic expectations.