• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Passan: Shohei Ohtani Could Be Traded, 'Will Definitely' Leave Angels If LA Struggles

Chuck

I don't think we're going to "fall out of contention", if by that he means 10 games back in the Wild Card standings.  If we're squarely in the mix for the Division and the Wild Card, not a hard call to keep him, even if you later lose him.....The tough call, which is certainly possible, is what do you do if you're on the fringe of the Wild Card standings, maybe 5-6 games behind, maybe a little below .500? I dunno.....I know it's probably not a popular sentiment but I'd probably trade him to salvage what I can....

If the Angels are way behind come July then I think they have no choice but to trade Ohtani. It’s unfortunate but this org has had many years to build a good club around Trout but they failed to do so. They have themselves to blame. Hopefully they can get a good haul for Ohtani. 

Unless something catastrophic happens with injuries again, I don't see us being far enough behind at the TDL to trade Ohtani.  Especially with Arte doing a full 180 on the team sale, he probably has a renewed hard on for any semblance of a successful season.  And barring that, he'll want to suck every last marketing dollar dry from Shohei before he's on his way to a new team.

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I don't think we're going to "fall out of contention", if by that he means 10 games back in the Wild Card standings.  If we're squarely in the mix for the Division and the Wild Card, not a hard call to keep him, even if you later lose him.....The tough call, which is certainly possible, is what do you do if you're on the fringe of the Wild Card standings, maybe 5-6 games behind, maybe a little below .500? I dunno.....I know it's probably not a popular sentiment but I'd probably trade him to salvage what I can....

IN the case you outline, I think you must trade him. Cant let him go for nothing.

19 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If Texas ends up being the real deal, I could see us being 6-8 games back of the WC at the TDL if we don't pull our heads out of our asses.  I still don't see a scenario where Moreno would sell off Ohtani though.

The AL is a meat grinder this year, and we have to prove we can actually compete with teams like NYY/HOU/TOR/BAL/etc.

No offense to Shohei, but he certainly didn't do much yesterday to help win the game despite multiple opportunities with guys in scoring position.   It's not all the fault of the "other guys" if the Angels lose games.

People bitch that Shohei and Trout should get the chance to play on the "big stage" aka playoffs.   Well they both were on the "big stage" in New York with the game on the line yesterday and did nothing memorable for their "legacies".

Mantle prolly homers....

If they are more than 4 games out of a playoff spot by the deadline you trade him. Arte said that Ohtani has to decide if he wants to be here, if he does, then Arte will keep him.  If he wants to move on then you trade him.  If he wants to win, then he can go to another team that is already built for winning.  It would be helpful if he came through a little bit better in the clutch, we would have a better record this year, if that were the case.  I am certainly not blaming him, but I can think of two games this season where he came up with the tying or winning run and he didn’t bring them in in the 9th inning.  I don’t feel bad for Ohtani, he has been amazing now for 2 whole years.  If anyone wants to feel bad for anyone it would be Trout.  We are 9-9, I don’t really believe Texas is for real.  I don’t believe Houston will be this bad, but I do think everyone overrated Seattle by quite a bit.  I still think this is about an 88 win team.  

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Shohei Ohtani CHOSE the Angels after knowing the club hadn't made the playoffs since 2014. 

Yeah, but he made that decision in 2017, not in 2023.  In 2015, they went 85-77 and missed the playoffs by 3 games.  They went 74-88 and 80-82 the next two seasons.  So, sure, they weren't coming off a dominant stretch, but it wasn't as bleak of a situation as it is now.

2 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

He also chose us in 2017... it's been six years and nothing has changed (outside of the NL acquiring the DH).

I doubt his thought process when he initially signed is still the same in 2023.

if you follow the team, you know it isn’t the same. The results are somewhat similar but there is a ton more talent here now.  

Its time to sit down with his agent and have conversations. If they are not being clear on their intent, you trade him. You dont come with some bs offer though, you come with a legitimate offer that you can afford. Quite frankly, we shouldn't want any player that isnt all in, thats not a good foundation to build chemistry and a winning tradition. Put the ball in Ohtani's court already. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If the Angels are way behind come July then I think they have no choice but to trade Ohtani. It’s unfortunate but this org has had many years to build a good club around Trout but they failed to do so. They have themselves to blame. Hopefully they can get a good haul for Ohtani. 

They could tell him that they want to bring him back in the off-season for whatever it takes, and it gives him a chance to play in August-September for a real contender.

That said, waaay too early to worry about it.

Article = click bait?