• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Passan: Shohei Ohtani Could Be Traded, 'Will Definitely' Leave Angels If LA Struggles

Chuck

Offer him the max you're willing to offer, or determine what terms he needs to stay.  If there's common ground, then we're good... If not: Unless we're comfortably going to make the playoffs & the team is firing on all cylinders-- enough to make a legitimate run-- IDK that I'd risk keeping him for only a draft pick,  unless he indicated a sincere willingness to stay beyond this season.   

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Angels are in a bad situation.  It’s a classic damned if you do, damned if you don’t conundrum.  They’re obviously worse off in the short term if he leaves, and it’s terrible for the fans.  But there’s no point in signing him up if Arte isn’t going to change.  I see no reason to assume he will.  There’s no reason to keep Ohtani around and it’s probably a mistake to do so if Arte isn’t going to dramatically increase payroll.  Im talking more than $230 million a year.  At least. I’m pretty skeptical of that.  Of course if he does do that -  then great. 

They could win and then they wouldn’t be damned.

I'm gonna use a @cals analogy.  

the Angels are the heavy, not very attractive boyfriend with the super hot girlfriend and it's making them insecure so they're asking their girl if everything is ok like every five minutes when what they should be doing is working out and perhaps doing other things to build their own self esteem and confidence so they don't have to worry about whether she's gonna leave, and if she does, they can just find someone else. 

there's a difference between making him want to stay and trying to keep him from leaving.  Other teams have figured out how to win without Ohtani.  The Angels should focus on being able to win with or without him.   He should make us great.  Not good.   

10 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm gonna use a @cals analogy.  

the Angels are the heavy, not very attractive boyfriend with the super hot girlfriend and it's making them insecure so they're asking their girl if everything is ok like every five minutes when what they should be doing is working out and perhaps doing other things to build their own self esteem and confidence so they don't have to worry about whether she's gonna leave, and if she does, they can just find someone else. 

there's a difference between making him want to stay and trying to keep him from leaving.  Other teams have figured out how to win without Ohtani.  The Angels should focus on being able to win with or without him.   He should make us great.  Not good.   

The Angels are very much a fat dude with a hot girlfriend that’s about to leave them.  And yeah, they keep trying to stop eating double cheeseburgers, but it’s the only thing keeping them happy…

It’s a shame they fired their accountability coach Joe Maddon.  

9 hours ago, cals said:

It’s a shame they fired their accountability coach Joe Maddon.

Maddon was the slob friend enabler who wore nothing but sweat pants and brought a pizza and twelve pack over every time he showed up.  He had a hot girlfriend years ago and that's all he talks about.  He claims he broke up with her because her 2nd toe was longer than the first.  He thinks his collection of VCR tapes is cool and that streaming shows and movies is just a fad.  

Babe Ruth was traded before and after his prime years. The Yankees were lucky or shrewd in their timing in trading for him. But eventually he was discarded for nothing. 

How deep into his prime years is Ohtani? How long can he sustain his two way production at the level of the last few years?  Is his health a potential concern that may affect his two way status and thus his expected value? And will a long term (say approximately 10 years) deal be worth the gamble? Will Ohtani's marketability add enough extra revenue to justify what may be the biggest contract in history? 

Those are just a few questions all teams have to contemplate. And each team is on it's own trajectory with their own financial restraints and limitations. 

Remember, Trout extending was also in doubt. But I have a feeling that Ohtani will be gone. His WBC persona showed a side of him that hasn't been able to be expressed competitively. And it may have been the greatest time of his career in that limited sense. He was really team focused emotionally. Maybe it was also a language/culture comfort zone thing, but he seemed much more of a pro active leader than with the Angels. 

Even wild card contention may not be enough to convince him to extend. No doubt he knows the strengths and weaknesses of the roster and can visualize the short term potential for the next few years. He doesn't exist in a vacuum and has advisors giving input about other teams and options. And then there's the money factor ..... the Angels may just not able or willing to make the best offer.

Reluctantly, I would trade him at the deadline. Unless the Angels were seriously competitive in the standings.  And even then I still would still think about trading him if the deal was really excellent. 

Would one season of wild card contention with Ohtani be worth the price of a big haul of elite prospects who may ideally form the nucleus of a future powerhouse?  Especially if Ohtani indicates whether he was looking for a new challenge elsewhere.  

On 4/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Palomar said:

Wow, Passan...what a unique position that NO ONE has been saying but you.  Way to put yourself out there with your shocking opinion. 

My exact thought when I saw the article. 

the same thing that has been talked about for 3 years, and then before that it was Mike Trout going home to Philly.